The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Melanie Smith Taylor Clinic March 2011 Aiken, SC

Dates: March 23 and 24, 2011
    Three sessions: 2'6", 3' and 3'3" and above
    Ride one day or two
    Small auditor fees will be donated to Charity

Ann Thal (of Aiken) is organizing a clinic to bring Melanie Smith Taylor to Aiken March 23 and 24, 2011. If you are interested in attending as a rider, please contact Ann immediately at: athal10961@aol.com or 941-730-1165. She will provide pricing and further details.

Melanie is one of the most sought after clinicians in the country right now. She currently is the Co-Chair and founder (vision) of the Emerging Athletes Program of the USHJA and is the clinician who conducts ALL of the Level 1 clinics personally. This is a wonderful opportunity to ride with one of the best. You can also see her teaching style by googling her name on Youtube.

Be a part of this wonderful clinic.

I have organized and held many clinics with Ms. Taylor and we always have a wait list and people rave about her clinics. You will NOT be disappointed as a rider or auditor.

Melanie Smith Taylor's show jumping achievements are well known. From an early childhood on a farm in her home state of Tennessee, she went on to gain international recognition as both a competitor and a trainer
    While training with George Morris in the early 1970s, Melanie was successful in amateur/owner jumper classes before graduating to the Grand Prix level. In 1978, she earned the American Grandprix Association's Lady Rider of the Year title, and she was also named the AGA's overall Rider of the Year. Her wonderful record that year convinced the AGA that women could perform on completely even terms with men, leading to a decision to discontinue the separate Lady Rider award. To cap off her year, Melanie's mount Val de Loire was named AGA Horse of the Year.

Melanie became one of only two riders ever to win the "Triple Crown of Show Jumping" by winning the American Invitational, the International Jumping Derby and the American Gold Cup. Melanie was part of the USET's Gold Medal team at the 1979 Pan American Games in Puerto Rico.

At the "Alternate Olympics" in 1980, Melanie won the individual Bronze Medal aboard her beloved horse Calypso. She also placed second that same year in the World Cup Final. She was named the United States Olympic Committee Sportswoman of the Year after winning the World Cup Final in 1982. Riding Calypso, she capped her show jumping career with a team Gold Medal in the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 1984, a year in which she was a finalist for the Sullivan Award which is given to the nation's top amateur athlete.

Melanie retired from active competition in 1987 and continues to serve the horse world as a television broadcaster, course designer, judge and trainer of young riders. She was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 1982.
    Last edited by Beenthere; Feb. 4, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add dates of clinic

Ive never clinic-ed with Melanie Taylor.... but I would say if Ann Thal rides with her, you want to do so also!!

Ann is a great friend, amazing horsewoman!! Wish I was still in Aiken!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

ann is a brilliant horsewoman.

there was a thread a while back started by a young lady who didn't go down to her college barn to meet mel when urged to do so by her trainer. sadly, this kid didn't have a clue as to what she missed.

not only does melanie have all the creds in the world, she is the BEST of all worlds when it comes to clinics. demanding, but ALWAYS a lady.

i was fortunate enough to have ridden with george in the years that mel was back to back HOTY in the AO hunters and then the AO jumpers. she is a marvel.

i am headed to stephens college in columbia march 11-13 to hear melanie clinic. can't wait........
    Last edited by fair judy; Feb. 3, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Just got off the phone with Ann reserving spots for my students. Yeah!! Thanks for the heads up.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

I have added the actual dates for the clinic and I am excited to mention that the clinic is getting quite the attention. Calls are coming in!

In the Air: Thank you for your support. Your riders will be elated you brought this to them.

I chuckle because after each clinic with Melanie, the trainers themselves have about 2 months worth of lesson plans to go home with for their students. That is the best thing about clinics. Trainers can see where their students need extra help. It's a win-win situation.

I am happy to report that the clinic is filling up so quickly. So if your interested, please contact Ann. Space is limited.

Plenty of space for auditors too

Half the questions that get posted on here can be answered by auditing a clinician of this level.

And it's cheaper to audit, even with a modest amount of travel and an overnite stay, then take 3 or 4 lessons with the average and much lesser teacher.

In The Air? GOOD FOR YOU. We need more trainers to take the time to come and bring their students...or leave them home in favor of continuing education blown off by so many "trainers".

MST is a great communicator...and she can also be a little blunt.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

All audit fees will be donated to FOTAS. ( friends of the animal shelter?)

Does anyone know the auditing fee?

Give Ann a call on auditing fees....whatever it is, it is small and all proceeds collected for auditing are being donated

In the flyer the auditing fee says $25-more if you can, less if you can't. And all the auditing fees go to Friends of the Animal Shelter.

did anyone say that the auditing fees go to FOTAS?

Fair Judy..we are traveling to Knoxville, TN to watch our Zone's Level i EAP session which Melanie teaches. A great way for us to support our zone and learn from the best.

Let us know how the Columbia clinic goes....

Quote Originally Posted by klc View Post
    In the flyer the auditing fee says $25-more if you can, less if you can't. And all the auditing fees go to Friends of the Animal Shelter.
    The Animal Shelter had a fire. Great to see a fundraiser!

equinelaw....i hope you go audit...her clinics are great.