The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nunn Finer Soft Grip Rubber Reins?

Okay. So...I've always wanted some royal blue reins (to go with the blue halter, blue saddle pads, blue crop, blue helmet, blue half chaps, blue grooming supplies...if it's blue, I want it!) but I didn't want nylon reins. Came across these on horseloverz and they cost more than I've ever considered spending on reins (I'm cheap!). I went ahead and bought them anyway and am waiting for them to get here.

Anyone have experience with them? Good? Bad? I don't have any other Nunn Finer products to compare to.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I use them on my jumpers/eventers.
    Nunn Finer is a very well known brand in the eventing community.
    Aelfleah Farm, Scurry, Texas
    BLUE STAR Arabians and
    Arabian-influenced Sportponies
    www.aelfleahfarm.com

I have them and I love them! I find them to be easier to grip and quite comfortable. I have them on both my dressage and jumping bridles.

LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE

And this is coming from someone who REALLY DISLIKES rubber reins.

The SoftGrip reins are so.. well.. soft! And flexible! And not bulky! BUY THEM!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

At first I liked them, but then quickly grew to hate them. Nothing against the product, they were made well, and I like nunn finer products in general, but these reins were too soft and flexible for my taste. I could literally twirl them around my finger a few times.

Perhaps if I wore gloves on a routine basis it would be different, but they felt like jelly rubber in my hands, light, flippy and flimsy and I kept playing with them while riding. Made my hands very talkative and annoyed my horse. The bight would always bounce around too and I was constantly flipping it out of the way.

My trainer at the time loved them, so I gave them to her.

I got thinline reins instead and I adore them. They have 'life', I can have a nice quiet conversation with my horse, and my hands are still and quiet.

many people love them though, so surely you will too! enjoy!
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Thanks for all the comments!

And, buck22, what is bight? I have not heard the term before and google's definition search isn't giving me anything useful.

The bight is the extra rein length. When you hold your reins, the section of rein that you are not using and is laying over the horse's shoulder is called the bight. Don't know if that makes sense or not.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

It does, and that's what I thought it meant from context but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

They look a lot like these reins: http://www.thedistancedepot.com/Beta...p/bbt-bgro.htm If the material is the same, they start out okay but very shortly the end up a bit too soft and easily wind around your fingers. So I found them to be unsafe in some situations. I do like the colors too though!

My current favorite soft rein w/grip are the cheap wintec soft grip reins. I wish they would make them in color too. They do have a problem w/the waffle foam breaking down but my recent fix to that is to use electric shrink wrap where the waffle foam that overlaps the beta breaks down (the underlying beta is just fine). So far seems to be keeping the waffle from futher pealing off and is working well. Mind you I wouldn't use them for showing but they really are nice on the trail.

Bight is the "extra rein" - the portion that is between the 2 of your hands once you have gathered up your reins. It is the extra stuff from the buckle to your hands that you can shift from one side of the horse to the other. When showing it should be to the outside of the horse so that there is less clutter on the side of the judge. If you have a horse w/a nice shoulder it won't detract from it - or so I was taught

Wow...I have never heard anyone say that the extra rein should go to one side of the horse or the other (but I don't show a lot). Huh.

I should have noted that I'm talking about hunt seat and hunter classes in particular - I don't think the rule book says it has to fall on a certain side just that we were taught to remove the clutter on the side of the judge especially if you had a horse w/a great shoulder.

I think in western classes the bight is always on the side that you hold the reins - ie if you are using your right hand the bight has to fall to the right.

I think saddle seat rules say that the bight has to fall on the off side.

So there are some times when the bight has to be on a specific side.

I have them and love them! They are the only reins I use. I have found that they are kind of long--the bight bouncing around, getting stuff by my leg and saddle flap. So I went and had 3" taken off of each half, and now they are perfect.

We were always taught "bight to the right".

Love Soft Grip reins. I have a pair and adore them. I like the extra feel of thin reins and hate riding with gloves. I don't have a problem with the length, I guess it depends on how long your horse's neck is.

I imagine "too long" will be fine since I have a drafty and reins are always too short feeling, LOL.

Got the reins in the mail yesterday. Haven't had the chance to ride with them yet, but put them on the bridle I also ordered from horseloverz.

It felt so wrong to put such nice feeling reins on such a cheap bridle!

Anyway, I did do a photo op with them on the pony:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7246021_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    Got the reins in the mail yesterday. Haven't had the chance to ride with them yet, but put them on the bridle I also ordered from horseloverz.

It felt so wrong to put such nice feeling reins on such a cheap bridle!

Anyway, I did do a photo op with them on the pony:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7246021_n.jpg
    Don't worry analise, my super nice reins are currently being used on what I refer to fondly as the "$50 Special" until my nice, matching Nunn Finer bridle arrives.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE