The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What on earth color is this pony?

I believe he was a shetland pony. He passed away recently (), and he was advanced in age at the time. I'm guessing there's some silver dapple going on there, but what is up with the whitish star like spots all over him? Plus he had one blue eye and only a snip for white on his face. I'm 100% sure he was not grey, and the bizarre white spots were much more evident when he was body clipped. In one of the pics, he is not yet body clipped, and one of the pics is black & white.

Whaddaya make of him?

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21287...02510679QPSnjN

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21123...02510679hpkxFU

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20482...02510679lbXbDT

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23897...02510679iirQTe

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24377...02510679wruIxs

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24697...02510679EfFvFI
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

I spent years calling that "Shetland Pony color". LOL

I think it is some extreme form of silver dapple. Very cool looking pony!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Silver Dapple is what I've always called it though I have never seen it coupled with blue eyes. I've only seen it a couple of times and both times was on a sh^tland so I thought it must be a color for them. Very cute little pony!
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I want that in 15.2!!!! Gosh he's cute! Forever I called that Shetland Pony Colour too.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Cool looking pony!

Am I the only adult who wishes they could still ride ponies?

dark dapple grey....i bred my mare to a stallion of that same color 3.5 yrs ago.my gelding is SLOOOOOwly getting to that point.

Definitely Silver Dapple (black with Silver) - very, very common in Shetlands. This is, as said, a more extreme version of it, making those starbursts.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Definitely Silver Dapple (black with Silver) - very, very common in Shetlands. This is, as said, a more extreme version of it, making those starbursts.
    So, silver dapple can cause light spots on the body too?

JB, what do you make of the one blue eye?

Given the white tipped nose and the horizontal nature of his white hind anklets I'd say probably Splash.

Here's another picture of a Silver Dapple, showing how they don't have to be as black/dark as your guy, and you can also see the starbursts on him

Buckskin with Silver also showing some "white spots"

And to compare, here's the traditional, classic Silver Dapple

Given the white tipped nose and the horizontal nature of his white hind anklets I'd say probably Splash.

Here's another picture of a Silver Dapple, showing how they don't have to be as black/dark as your guy, and you can also see the starbursts on him

Buckskin with Silver also showing some "white spots"

And to compare, here's the traditional, classic Silver Dapple
    Wow, that last one is STUNNING! I like the first one a lot too..... the COLOR, that is. Some other things about him are, well, hmmmmmm....

Yes, he was a very cool pony in all respects. I was very sad to learn of his recent passing.

Judy

i think Silver Dappling. My horse who is a buckskin gets dapples that looks like those stars. Beautiful!

The Rocky Mountain Horses are very well known for the Silver colors Very classic with them. My childhood dream horse was black with white mane and tail and 4 white legs. Little did I realize then how real that could be!

Don't let the (sometimes) dapples of the Silver gene (which only expresses on black-based colors) fool you into thinking a normal horse is a Silver just because he has dapples Silver doesn't always cause dapples (as per the above examples), it's not related to the dappled gray stage of some grays, and it's not related to seasonal dappling of changes of coats or the Winter dappling many palominos get

Mine was always a gray (any stage) with four black socks and a black mane and tail. I always loved the striking contrast of the markings and though I have seen it many times none of the horses have ever struck any kind of longing in me to own him/her. As for the Palomino dappling Pal mare was a Trigger gold during the summer and then a dappled pumpkin for winter. LOVED her color combo.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

That's a silver dapple. It's Z on black, and it causes that awesome pewter color and those striking dapples. Color can range from a blue-steel shade to that intense pewter.

The blue eye is caused by a different gene(s).

Silvers never fade with age.

Z is really, really common in Shetlands.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

My childhood dream horse was black with white mane and tail and 4 white legs. Little did I realize then how real that could be!
    Me too. I mistook the ad for the golden Saddlebreds in the black and white magazines as being black with white mane and tail. Someday I will have me a silver dapple
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    Plus he had one blue eye and only a snip Whaddaya make of him?
    Yep...he's silver (also called silver dapple as it often does put really noticable dapples on the horse) on black. The blue eye, snip and hind leg markings with the nearly level tops would suggest splash white gene as well. Silver ("Z" on testing) only shows on black based horses but can be carried by reds and show on their offspring if the mate is black based and passes the black. It doesn't always cause dapples. In the QH's it is very rare (only two bloodlines I know of) and was found when a horse registered as a sorrel/chestnut was bred to a chestnut and sired a bay...so the black base had to come from somewhere. DNA color testing on the stallion showed he was a black with silver. The Rocky Mt Horse probably has the most silver horses (other than pony and miniatures where it is fairly common) of full sized horse breeds. There is a genetic problem present in the eyes (can't remember the name or exactly what the issue is) of HZ silvers so breeding for this is kind of like breeding for frame overos....can be done but you would be looking for heterozygous foals.

The eye issue is ASD - Anterior Segment Dysgenesis. Last I knew, it was thought to be much more an issue in the RMH, because while it's not directly linked to Silver, ASD is close to the Silver gene and may have been indirectly concentrated in the RMH in the process of breeding for Silver.

The eye issue is ASD - Anterior Segment Dysgenesis. Last I knew, it was thought to be much more an issue in the RMH, because while it's not directly linked to Silver, ASD is close to the Silver gene and may have been indirectly concentrated in the RMH in the process of breeding for Silver.
    ASD has been found in most breeds that carry silver. (Although there have been no confirmed cases among silver QH's or Paints to date.)

It is also a condition that can affect horses of any color, not just silver. (It can affect people too!)

The RMH registry has made ASD a focus not so much because of the small chance the eyes might be noticeably affected, but more for the fact that a lot of inbreeding was done in order to proliferate the silver color within that breed. That in itself is bad business.

If a horse has ASD it is born with it. The condition never develops or progresses over time.

Among silver carrying RMH's, fewer than 2% of them exhibit ASD to the extent that it actually inhibits vision in some way. In 98% of silver RMH's the condition manifests itself in the form of tiny, non-vision impairing cysts within the horse's eye. The average ASD positive horse will show no symptoms whatsoever and can only be diagnosed as an ASD carrier by a Certified Equine Opthamologist.

To put it in perspective, moon blindness in appaloosas is a much more common, aggressive, painful and debilitating condition when compared to ASD. The RMH Association just made the noble decision to be much more vocal and proactive about ASD - even though the condition is really very mild and rarely an issue for carriers.
    Last edited by TaliaCristianna; Feb. 1, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Moldy?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. )
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.