The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to wear to stay warm

So, I'm pretty my much the poster child for no fashion sense. Pretty much I wear a plain hoodie and jeans everyday. Literally. At the barn, I wear a bunch of bulky layers and a HUGE puffy coat. But, I would love to try NOT looking like a bouncy ball covered in bubble wrap. Plus I'm 5'4 and 100lbs, so everything is either too short or bulky. I'd really like something fitted for lessons.

What do you wear to stay warm while still looking at least slightly presentable? Please, please, please post links, the general "a nice sweater and a vest" means nothing to me. a nice sweater could bite me in the ass and I still wouldn't recognize it. I'm good on pants... jeans are plenty warm enough! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I HATE the cold and living in New York we have had plenty of it this season so this is what I wear

The bottom
    Ski Silks and/or long underwear depending on the temperature
    Breeches (a size up from normal to compensate for the under layer)
    Ski Socks
    Paddock Boots and half chaps

The top
    Long Underwear crewneck shirt
    Long Sleeve t shirt
    light fleece
    Vest
    light coat (usually take off before starting to work)
    gloves and a scarf

a lot of the lands end and llbean fleeces and vests I like because they are light but warm (most run bigger then normal stores)

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaChe...9&origin=index
    love this fleece for layering

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack7...2&origin=index
    really lightweight warm coat

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/61703?feat=504729-GN2
    great riding vest fitted but warm and comfortable

20 year old lowe alpine base layer.
    Riders down jacket.
    Heritage fleece gloves.
    El cheepo breeches + full chaps.
    Under armor coldgear boot socks.
    Ariat insulated booties.

Hot & happy at 20 degrees, walking 2 hours.

Horse gets to wear a Rambo Newmarket quarter sheet.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Here's my usual for "looking decent":

Bottom:
    Underarmour coldgear pants - http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/tags/bottoms/tights-leggings/props/sort-BS/pg-1/n-319/?lr=YWRkRmlsdGVy|319 (1st pic)

Breeches or jeans depending on situation

Top:
    Underarmour coldgear longsleeve turtleneck - http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens/tags/mock-neck-shirts/shirts-tops/props/sort-BS/pg-1/n-281/?lr=YWRkRmlsdGVy|281 (2nd pic)

A longsleeve basic thermal shirt - http://www.jockey.com/products/Cotto...ng-Sleeve-Crew

Sometimes a polo shirt for an extra layer if I'm really desperate, but most often not. This is my favourite brand for polos and horsie attire and I stalk the outlets for them! - http://www.uspaproperties.com/gallery.php

A V-neck sweater - doesn't need to be anything fancy, I've gotten a few I liked at Walmart and have a few pricey ones I found on sale; doesn't matter. I personally like argyle and big cable knits.

Usually these layers are so thin that I can still wear my barn jacket over them without seeming tight. It is a slim NorthFace-type jacket. - http://www.outletshirts.com/port-aut...166?cPath=2_69. I also have stylish snowboarding jackets that I wear when I need to be even more warm - http://www.blackholeboards.com/betty...ipstick-168779

Feet:
    Regular cotton socks - with Zocks if wearing riding boots
    Either Muck Boot Co. mid-height boots with toe warmers OR Ariat Bromonts
    YakTrax!!!!!

Accessories:
    Scarf
    Gloves
    Hat or headband
    Handwarmers in my pockets
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Something horse people should learn... snowboarding jackets are great for riding! You can get very light jackets that are very, very warm, that often have features we like in jackets for riding, like two-way zippers. They're not cheap, but often actually are cheaper than similar jackets with a "horsie" logo on them! Plus, if you're like me and like to be "different", people will always wonder where you got that awesome, stylish jacket!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

THESE BOOTS!!! http://www.rei.com/product/803659

They are warm, waterproof, and absolutely adorable. I've been riding bareback lately just so I don't have to change out of them into regular riding boots!

My other layers include:

-Under Armour mockneck top & long underwear bottoms
    -2+ pairs of socks, usually one pair fleece
    -jeans
    -full chaps if I am actually riding with a saddle.. though that hasn't been happening lately
    -fitted sweater or heavy rib-knit long sleeve shirt. You can get some cute, inexpensive sweaters and tops from Old Navy that work well as layering pieces!
    -fitted fleece jacket
    -fitted down vest (puffy but cute!)
    -Big Ugly Puffy Barn Jacket for grooming, mucking, tacking, etc. If I am doing more strenuous riding I will strip this off when I get on, but in the dead of winter I don't really care if I look like the Michelin man!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I am a huge REI fan- their clothing is light years better than what I had to pick from 15 years ago as a kid going on biking/camping trips with the family! Actually, my cutest clothes all came from the sale rack there. 15 feet away from a wrinkle resistant full length sun dress they'll be selling a contraption that allows ladies to relieve themselves while in a fully upright position. What a store!

Also, it's true: layers, layers, layers.
    I start with a Nike under-type long sleeve shirt thing that has some aggressive, tough sounding name. Got it from a sporting goods store, $50 but worth every penny. Keeps me toasty!
    Then I add a thin long-sleeve t-shirt.
    Thin fleece zip-up jacket- this I got from REI and it has (cue choir of angels) thumb holes. Longer sleeves with nifty holes to put my thumbs in. Throw work gloves on and never have that dreadful cold patch of wrist.
    Thin black jacket, REI brand- has a fleecy like inside but water repellant outside, fits close to the body and is waist length.
    Then, if it's icky out, my long Puffa brand riding coat. Double zippers, snap flap on the back, big carrot-containing pockets, waist drawstring so i don't look like i've eaten one of the ponies, some ventilation.

And I basically put my full chaps on before I even drive to the barn.

I'll add a winter cap or baseball hat plus fleece ear band if it's windy.
    I'm all about thin, multiple layers. Oftentimes I'll wear the whole bunch and take off a middle layer or two by the time I'm ready to ride. Then afterwards I suit up again to clean tack, sweep up horse's mess, etc.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I wear Kerrits. Their website even puts the color combinations together for you in a fashion show so you know what goes with what.

This winter, Sit Tight N'Warm breeches, (or alternatively boot cut jeans with long johns underneath for barn work days) Tex T-Neck with a long underwear shirt under, and a Rideoutside vest. I have a Mountain Horse Orbit Headband under my helmet. MudRucker paddock boots, and suede half chaps. The boots have to be a size up to accomodate heavy socks, and I even have "winter stirrups" which are wide enough for the boots. I'm wearing SSG Work N' Horse lined gloves which keep my hands warm riding (enough movement on the reins) but heavy lined deerskin gloves for barnwork.

Over everything I wear an Eddie Bauer quilted down car coat because it's thin and warm, but that's just for coming and going and sitting around. If I ride or work too much in it I sweat. This outfit keeps me warm and comfy in single digits, in the indoor. The other day a friend of my Mom's said I looked like I stepped out of an English country life magazine which I think was a bit of a stretch, but I do think I look nice and put together. The best part about Kerrits fabric is that it honestly does repel dust and horse hair. Most brushes right off, but sometimes I throw the vest in the dryer on air only at home just to get the layer of arena dust off it without actually washing it.