The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Longe exercises?

So I am finally getting back into where I consider myself basically fit for riding... after a year and a half back in the saddle. My goal is by fall to be sitting my horse's trot lengthenings/sitting his trot for the entire ride other than stretchy trot and warmup every ride. His trot's WAY bigger than any other horse I've ever ridden, and with the equitation/hunter background I have to re-learn what a sitting trot is supposed to feel like.

I had a great longe lesson the other day, where I had a few great moments - one, my trainer said "do you feel like you're moving too much? Because that is where you want to be showing, except a little softer in your hips/lower back" and I responded by softening... and my horse responded by gaining what felt like twice the height in his trot. This increase in his energy as my seat allows and encourages, rather than restricting, will become addictive I'm sure! I also enjoyed our transition work we did - I was controlling him other than steering, with no reins, and doing both up and down transitions - which he did wonderfully by the end. My other favorite was cantering with no stirrups, legs handing down and arms straight up in the air. That seems to get rid of my "duck butt" tendencies and makes me sit my best.

We're going to try to do 5-10 minutes of longe work at the end of every lesson in the future, and my mom's going to try to longe me about every other day. So anyone else have good exercises you recommend?

I'm really lucky to have a horse who may be super high energy and learning himself, but who will do anything he possibly can to try to be good for me!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I know for myself, I would love lunge lessons on a horse that lunges well enough to allow me to close my eyes so that I can cocetrate totally on how things feel!! Then of course there are all the various ones like the arms circling backwards as in "backstroke" Airplane arms then rotate left then right till fingers are pointed thru the ears with one hand and to the tail with the other. Good luck...Ask your mom if she'll lunge me too!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Quote Originally Posted by EasyStreet View Post
    I know for myself, I would love lunge lessons on a horse that lunges well enough to allow me to close my eyes so that I can cocetrate totally on how things feel!! Then of course there are all the various ones like the arms circling backwards as in "backstroke" Airplane arms then rotate left then right till fingers are pointed thru the ears with one hand and to the tail with the other. Good luck...Ask your mom if she'll lunge me too!!
    Come to AZ and I will!

I decided that my horse's canter with my eyes closed is one of the awesomest experiences ever.

His trot with no stirrups or reins, arms above my head and eyes closed, however, is TERRIFYING! I think when it just feels comfortable will be when I'm where I want to be.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

There's a DVD called Balance in Movement based on the book by Susanne von Dietze. It has tons of exercises for the lunge, and some for when you ride but want to work on your seat. It's not really instructional, so there isn't a lot of blather, just "here's what you can do..."
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.