The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default health certs for interstate transport - date/timing question

I am transporting my horses for an interstate move soon down the east coast and need to schedule the vet for health certs. How close to the transport date do the health certs need to be dated?

If it matters, and I assume it does, depending on which way we decide to go, we can pass through any / all of these states: NY, NJ, DE, PA, WV, MD, VA, and NC.

Last time (several years ago) the shipper I used told me within 10 days. This time, however, I am doing it myself... I was hoping to do it 2-3 weeks out because of a hectic schedule and other traveling I am doing. I am just worried that is too far out.

Thank you!

When I shipped my horse from central Illinois to Southern Virginia last August, I was told within 30 days by the shipper. I would double check, but that was what I found out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    I am transporting my horses for an interstate move soon down the east coast and need to schedule the vet for health certs. How close to the transport date do the health certs need to be dated?

Thank you!
    Check with your vet....I think it can vary from state to state...(10 days here)...or maybe interstate rules have changed since the last time I hauled interstate.

Usually it is 30 days, but some states have strange laws. Also, make sure your coggins is current.

All of those states should be fine with a 30 days Health Cert. And chances are you will never get asked for it any of them anyway- only if you cross the FL border
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Our Health Certificate's have always been good for 30-days. I'm sure you know you need a negative Coggins test when you travel but are you aware that some entry states require a negative Equine Piroplasmosis test (EP [cELISA for T.equi]) and an entry permit? Additional info you should check into before getting on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
    Our Health Certificate's have always been good for 30-days. I'm sure you know you need a negative Coggins test when you travel but are you aware that some entry states require a negative Equine Piroplasmosis test (EP [cELISA for T.equi]) and an entry permit? Additional info you should check into before getting on the road!
    Traveling throughout the East Coast with horses is way different than out west- None of the states the OP listed will require a Piro test or an entry permit
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Traveling throughout the East Coast with horses is way different than out west- None of the states the OP listed will require a Piro test or an entry permit
    Oops... my apology. I accidentally overlooked the states OP listed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    The Horse's Handbook on Snorting: Humans like to be snorted on. Everywhere. It is your duty, as the family horse, to accommodate them.

Just found a website listing each state's requirements:

http://www.usrider.org/EquestrianMotorPlan.html
    The Horse's Handbook on Snorting: Humans like to be snorted on. Everywhere. It is your duty, as the family horse, to accommodate them.

Quote Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
    Just found a website listing each state's requirements:

http://www.usrider.org/EquestrianMotorPlan.html
    Awesome! Thank you so much.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. They do all have current Coggins tests within the last 6 months, so we're good on that end.

I am traveling from ME to NC this week for NC it needed to be less then 30 days old. Had vet out last week as same horse will be making a return trip within the 30 days.

Health certificates in all states I have practiced in are only good for 30 days of issue. However the recieving state can require one dated sooner. And may have requirements regarding statements about exposure to diseases like piroplasmosis (may require horse to be tested, but unlikely), vessicular stomatitis, etc. Best to call the state of destination's state vet's office to check for any recent changes.