The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are you wearing??

Any new exciting fashion trends in the Eventing world?

I'm no fashionista (hey! quiet in the back there!) but the person who writes the Three Days Three Ways blog is, and she regularly blogs about fashion.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Well, I'm no fashionista, either, but I do see a rapidly growing number of the Hit Air/Point Two vests around here, even at the lower levels.

It's easier to say what the well-dressed event HORSE is wearing - in area II, they're all sporting a monoflap saddle and 5-point breast collar, regardless of the level.

Me (and my own), I wear the IRH knockoff of the CO GR8 (it's the only one of the multitude of helmets out there that actually fits my bowling ball round head!), RJ Classics black dressage coat/RJ Classics blue hunt coat, one of those pleated stock ties with light blue crystals (it's GORGEOUS), any clean pair of full seats in a light beige I can find come show time, and my CO vest in dark grey with a light blue shirt underneath.

I'm boring that way, plus, I'm cheap.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Where did you find the stock tie with crystals? I am SO out of touch!! And out of fashion, apparently.

I have no idea if this is in fashion anymore but I scored on ebay with a Kentucky dressage coat with the two buttons over the back vents. I love it! Of course my blue hunt coat was perfectly acceptable but I really wanted a black one for dressage. Generally, I wear a black polo and beige breeches or since up until now I've only been doing local/unrecognized events and derbys. Horse wears a navy pad, Nunn Finer hunt style breastcollar, black boots, we're not too colorful. My colors are navy, black, and light blue with a little white thrown in.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Anything red!! lol. But no 5-point breastplate here! I need a crupper, but don't think my TB will appreciate that...

Just got an RJ Classics Dressage coat for Christmas. I was dieing in my old wool hunt coat last summer. Unfortunately it doesn't fit as well as I had hoped...

Hah! I saw this and thought "Just about everything I own..."
    It being winter and all...

Otherwise I have nothing to add on a fashion thread except to say for the 50th time how happy I am that I no longer have to worry about a stock tie OR a jacket unless I move back up to Prelim -- hardly any HTs around here under P contest over two days, and even then it's rare.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Where did you find the stock tie with crystals? I am SO out of touch!! And out of fashion, apparently.
    I got mine from M & M Tack in Raleigh. It's gorgeous - pleated, with the horizontal part in the center dotted with embroidered flowers, lace, and little light blue crystals. It's understated, but eye-catching.

I don't like regular stocks because i think they make me look like a puffed up pigeon. Of course, the drawback to this particular type of stock is you have to hand wash it.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I hear people are starting to bring back the grey show coat? Anyone else hear this?

I wear a gray coat for stadium and a few of my friends do too but I haven't noticed it becoming a "trend". Most people in area VI have a monoflap and a 5 point breastplate (guilty as charged) but not everyone does. I have been seeing more "bling" belts though scattered throughout the levels. They could be the new trend soon.
    There's strong and then there's eventing strong.

I'm guilty of having a bling belt, a hold over from my equitation days. I just love that belt. Makes my trainer twitch. Now I have a blinged out browband, too. I want one of the blingy stock ties now. It's like a disease.

Hello, my name is Catie, and I'm addicted to bling.

I've seen the lighter coats around more. I might have to get brave and break out my old custom Grand Prix coat that's in a pretty French blue with white piping on the collar for stadium. I love that coat, I just don't get to wear it anymore. It looked amazing on my black bay, should look good on my redhead, too.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

I am boring except for cross country.
    Basic black coat for dressage and stadium. Same coat for both. Cheap coat, ie about $50. I decided, after I "out grew" my gooder one, that you know what, I am not being judged on how expensive my coat is and it is clean, neat, fits and dark in color. I have better horse things to spend money on that a couple of hundred dollar coat.
    White shirt, if weather is "cool", with a pre-tied basic stock tie with a stock pin. If it is hot I where a tank top or something with a full bib with pre-tied stock tie with stock pin.
    Breeches for D/SJ are basic white full seats I have had for over 10 yrs. Yes, they have some stains on them but a bit of baby powder or white chalk can cover the really bad ones. And you know what else I discovered, YOU CAN'T SEE THEM WHILE YOU ARE RIDING!!
    Black field boots. I found the deal of the life time on Ebay some years ago--a pair of Koings that had been worn a few times, for $100!! A bit tight in the calf now due to my "size" but once my toes go numb I am ok ;-)
    Had been using a basic black hunt cap but that now has to change. I have a black velvet cover from my skull cap so will be using that until I can justify several hundred dollars for a less of a bowling ball of a helmet.
    Black gloves. My hands are good enough to wear white!
    Saddle is wintec Isabella, that I love.
    Basic white saddle pad with black binding with a touch of gold in it, and embroidered horse and rider on one corner (a good friend of mine gave it to me for christmas one year so it is special to me).
    Basic black short girth, synthetic.
    Black bridle and web reins. +/- flash depending on how my mare's mood is.
    I don't do SJ in boots since she needs to know when she rubs and even with open fronts she has enough cushion to not be impressed.

Cross country is my fun time. Yellow and blue are my colors. I have a yellow and blue checked pad, or a blue one with brightly colored cartoon cats on it.
    My vest is yellow and blue, as is my helmet cover.
    My bat is yellow and blue (predominantly blue)
    One pair of yellow strapped wolfe boots and one pair of blue strapped.
    Blue gloves.
    Basic breast plate, brown bridle (usually). I had been using a very nice Amerigo saddle that fits my mare wonderfully but doesn't fit me worth a crap so I have changed to a very old, ugly wintec that I love.
    No air vest. Again I have better things to spend that much money on. Yes, I know the arguments for one but heck all I do is BN and N! And I tend to fall slowly (long story).

FWIW.

As with my regular real world clothes, I prefer a more vintage look to the modern gear. I like my elastic polo breastcollar, brown jumping tack and lack of bright colours. I really hate the more huntery jacket/shirt colour combos, I need a new hunt coat and I will likely go navy with white shirt. Blue brings out the warmth in browns, so it should be best on my dark brown horse. No bling for me.

I wonder if in 10 years people will look back on air vests and pom pom 5 points and go "ugh, how did I ever think that looked cool?" Like perms or acid wash jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventing Strong View Post
    I wear a gray coat for stadium and a few of my friends do too but I haven't noticed it becoming a "trend". Most people in area VI have a monoflap and a 5 point breastplate (guilty as charged) but not everyone does. I have been seeing more "bling" belts though scattered throughout the levels. They could be the new trend soon.
    I'm in Area VI as well and notice mostly monoflaps and 5 point breastplates at all levels. I have both of those too though. I have a long leg that I just can't get a standard flap to fit right, even in the semi-custom, and prefer the close feel of the mono-flap. I do have a 5 point breasplate that I use on anything I ride (I only have 2 breasplates, and one is black and without elastic for dressage), so I may be one of the people that gets pointed and laughed at going around novice with one. In my defense it is left over from my advanced horse that my saddle slid side to side on. I just don't replace things very often (ok ever, it isn't getting replaced unless it breaks or is about to).

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Hello all of you The stables I ride at has got a lot of girls my age, and I just started 3 months ago. I'm 13, and I ride English. The girls at my stables are all super preppy and rich. The money isn't a problem, though. They're really nice, but I noticed when I went yesterday that they were all dressed sort of different then I was. How would you handle this, or dress. P.S. Is there anything common beginner mistakes that I should know about, so that I don't make them? Any tips?
    Be clean. Be neat. Clothes and boots, etc that fit. A properly fitting helmet, at all times! Clean safe servicable tack. A sparkling clean gleeming horse.

I know it is easy for me to say at my age (52) but I was, believe it or not, your age once, and very into horses at that age (since the age of 9, actually). Don't buy into all the expensive, "in" and fad stuff. Stay conservative and servicable. Spend that extra money on things like quality instruction and quality horse care. Be your OWN woman!! Even now.

But above all, have fun.

Good luck

Default Brown is in, right??

All my clothes are too old and beat up to talk about...

BUT! My horsey has a new dressage saddle this year AND the debut of ALL brown tack. Love it.
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

All black tack so I only need one breastplate (which is not 5-point, but nunn finer with the elastic) etc. A black no-name figure 8 bridle for all phases (because he will open mouth/cross jaw given the opportunity)

Pikeur dressage coat (black) that I wear both dressage and sj.

1 CO GR8 and one JR8 so I have back up helmet if one gets too sweaty, wet, whatever.

Full seat breeches because I much prefer them (Ariat mostly, but 2 pairs of FITS that I got on ebay)

Dalmar eventing boots for him, old ebay find Dehners for me

Ariat Tek or Roeckl gloves (splurge, but I love them)
    Last edited by scubed; Feb. 2, 2011 at 08:04 AM.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Bruno, I agree with MeghanDACVA about being correct over the fashionable look. As far as common beginner mistakes you can't go wrong with the basics. Stick to layers and nothing to funky, scour consignment areas to pick up what you really need and network to build your own supply. Ask the Instructor or trainer where you might find the best deals or sales on the stuff you really need and get ready to have a great time learning.

I show in VI and VII...not as many monoflaps in VII but a lottttt of 5 point breastplate. I don't have either, just a double flap amerigo (my prized possession) and a vespucci hunting breastplate. I've also noticed a lot of blingy browbands. I don't have one but am hoping to get one soonish lol. I'm boring and just a wear a black coat, haven't noticed a lot of grey in VII but more in VI. I've seen a lot of people using pro choice bell boots as well.
    I actually haven't noticed many trends not already mentioned lol, but I do think grey coats are going to get really popular soon!
    Oh and also I've noticed a lot more point 2s at all levels! Haven't seen many hit airs. I have a point 2...hoping that gets even more popular, after seeing a friend have an awful fall and be basically fine because of her point 2, I will always wear mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    I'm in Area VI as well and notice mostly monoflaps and 5 point breastplates at all levels. I have both of those too though. I have a long leg that I just can't get a standard flap to fit right, even in the semi-custom, and prefer the close feel of the mono-flap. I do have a 5 point breasplate that I use on anything I ride (I only have 2 breasplates, and one is black and without elastic for dressage), so I may be one of the people that gets pointed and laughed at going around novice with one. In my defense it is left over from my advanced horse that my saddle slid side to side on. I just don't replace things very often (ok ever, it isn't getting replaced unless it breaks or is about to).
    I LOVE my 5 point breastplate but have gotten odd looks from people while I was using it on my 14.3 QH who was running novice at the time. He's so round (not fat just warmblood-esque) that my saddle would always slide with a regular hunter breastplate. Now my saddle doesn't move with my breastplate on, I even use it for stadium. Of course that was with my old saddle, the monoflap seems to stay on like glue so I may be able to go back to using my hunter breastplate for stadium. I prefer the traditional classic looks
    I've also been noticing the bling browbands appearing more in the stadium ring as well as in the dressage ring. I have a pretty bling stock pin that looks great with his sparkly "manly" browband.
    There's strong and then there's eventing strong.