The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink I am fat and sore and I need a CHEAP saddle suggestion!

Well, I am also close to 6 months pregnant. Which explains the weight gain and soreness.

I'd love to ride but I think it would be best if I had a really comfortable saddle to ride in and... ultimately, having a good western/endurance saddle on hand would not be a bad thing at all to break youngsters and teach my SO and daughter to ride etc...

But, I am not a western rider. I dabble at it for fun and games, but nothing more. I do love a good trail ride and work my horses outside a lot (no riding ring will do that to you ).

All this to say that given that trail/western riding is not my main discipline, I don't want to spend a forturne on a saddle.

I'd prefer leather, just because synthetic is a PITA in winter, but really, the budget is the main concern: $300ish tops?

Is there any decent saddle that would fit the criteria? I know there are the Wintecs... I guess though that going in that sort of price range I should get a synthetic otherwise the leather is going to be REALLY crappy.

So, any suggestions?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Stay far away from Wintec western saddles. They don't fit ANYTHING and are just not the same quality as the english Wintecs. I would highly suggest a Fabtron or Big Horn synthetic saddle. I have actually owned both of these brands and would definitely buy one again. They are very comfy and great quality for the price. They are very lightweight and generally fit well. If you are set on a leather saddle, The older Billy Cook saddles are very nice as are Bona Allen, Big Horn, and the older Circle Y saddles. Even though you may only want to use this saddle sometimes, It is really worth it to get a good saddle that will last and not make your horse sore. Plus, If you decide to sell it later, you will have much a much better chance of selling it for what you paid for it. The best thing to do is to go look at saddles and sit in lots of them so you know what fits and then start looking on ebay or craigslist and you can probably find a good deal. Good Luck!!
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

What about the Abetta synthetics? Any comments on those?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I like the wintec aussie-style saddle, and wintec also makes a specific saddle for endurance, both nice comfy saddles for the trail. I suggest you go to a tack store and sit in many saddles, including those two, to see what is comfortable and then go look for a used one. New wintec stock/endurance saddles cost over $1k.

I have an older Simco trail saddle that I picked up on eBay for under $200 that has worked out fine for my infrequent trail rides. I replaced the cinch straps on both sides, because they were old & dry, but otherwise it's been a good buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I bought one for my husband and thought it was pretty decent. Fit my horse well, fit him well and it was under $300 new as I recall!

He didn't ride all that much in the end but I thought it was a good choice.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Default Weaver!

I have made several postings ..
    I have wintecs...they fell apart and didnt fit all the horses, very well.
    I have abetta.s and find them comfortable and many trail students like them too... never a fit problem either..
    But, when I grab a saddle off the rack...its my Weaver!
    and I love it... fits every horse I own (maybe different padding arrangements, but it adjusts well)..
    comfortable for me..and I ride 20-30 miles a day/'everyday.

On sale now too. for the giveaway price of ack! $149!!
    800-637-6721
    www.horse.com
    great company to deal with too.
    oh, there are nylon halter bridles for $17/ low ports $10
    saddle pads for $20/ breastcollars with neoprene backing for $20 and neoprene girths for $17/ and a cantle bag to finish the outfit for $5!
    there...a total outfit for very little investment that will last! and last well.
    good luck!
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I've got an Abetta Serinity (formely Trinity) that I like. I used it as my main saddle until I got my treeless, and it's now my back-up saddle

It's got a nice cushy memory foam seat.

http://www.horse.com/item/abetta-ser...dle/SLT900710/

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    I have an older Simco trail saddle that I picked up on eBay for under $200 that has worked out fine for my infrequent trail rides. I replaced the cinch straps on both sides, because they were old & dry, but otherwise it's been a good buy for me.
    I agree with this, I'm a huge fan of Simco saddles, especially the older ones and they usually do go for around $200.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I love my Abetta. I've had Treeless, Fabtron, but always go back to my Abetta.

I've got 2 Big Horn synthetic that I got off ebay for about $125 that I love. But some folks that have tried mine don't like them, so you may have to try a few before you find a maker you like. If you get them used you can easily resell them for about what you paid. Just check comparison prices or maybe a friend has one you can try out. Mine are good for rides under 3 hrs or so and then I find my leather Circle Y the best for my horse and me....

Hmmm... Hard to tell hum?

Long rides are out the question for now, newborn on the way, toddler on the ground already, I can be out of the house for 3 hours TOTAL, including tack-up, riding, and feeding the beasts.

At this point, I want something comfortable to ride in while I am heavier then usual (at after birth because all this weight won't leave overnight) and that can then be also used by my partner to learn to ride a bit... Someday.

I'd love a comfy leather saddle, but really, it is not high up on the priority list of things to do with the leftover $$$.

Used would be the way to go, but around here I seem to only find used high end saddles, so they are still around $1K... Used.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I had an Abetta that I got for $55 at a yard sale. I just can't get comfortable western.
    One of the other boarders used it on her QH while she was pregnant and found it comfortable. She has a really nice leather western saddle but it was too heavy for her to comfortable manage to get on her 16.2H horse while pregnant. The Abetta was nice and light.
    I eventually sold it to another boarder. He had a TWH. He loved it and used it for years. Probably is still using it. When he would trail ride it would be 4-5 hour marathon rides both days of the weekends.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hmmm...do you think it's a good idea to ride while pregnant? Especially six months pregnant?

Someone I know got bucked off at 8 months' preggers. Knocked unconscious for two days. Luckily she and her baby were okay, but it was touch and go, and her husband and family were freaked out for those two days she was in the hospital.

Is it worth your baby's health or life just to ride? Can't you just wait another three or four months? I wasn't mentally damaged in any way by putting off riding while pregnant with my daughter. I rode until I was five months' pregnant and then a doctor I saw for an ultrasound (an equestrian herself, btw) scared me into stopping. "What if you get kicked or fall off? How would you feel if something happened to your baby?" she asked. She accused me of being selfish if I continued. True enough, I thought.

I'm sure there are lots of people who've ridden while pregnant and nothing happened, but I wasn't willing to take that risk once the dangers were pointed out to me. I wanted my child to have every advantage I could give her, including not ending up a brain-damaged invalid from an avoidable riding accident.

The trouble with "cheap" saddles is that they are not only made of inferior materials they are also often of inferior design.

A couple of years back a friend of mine sent me the materials list for a leather, Western saddle. These were standard materials, not "premium" materials. Including the tree it was just at $500.00. This is before any labor costs or a profit for the maker.

The overall depressed state of the equine economy means that there are a lot of good quality, used saddles around at fair prices. For a trail saddle the "default" is often the Western saddle but there are alternatives in endurance saddles, military saddles, Plantation saddles, etc.

In looking for a used saddle you have to shop around. It must fit the horse, the rider, and be appropriate to the planned use. That last item includes an evaluation of condition.

Good luck in searching and don't be afraid to "broaden" the search horizon.

G.

I tried a Fabtron-didn't fit my young horse but I liked it. It was on kijiji kingston, and is still there and in your price range.

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-pets-liv...AdIdZ242458665

I ride in.. and love the Fabtrons. The new Homesteader has the upgraded leather and conchos... Its our best selling saddle. Light weight and well made. The "B" tree is nice and wide, and flat bars with flare.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

I've had a Fabtron and several Big Horns. The Big Horns lasted for years and years and held up to a ton of riding. They were comfortable but a seat saver really helped. The Fabtron was comfortable but didn't fit any of the horses as well as the Big horns.

I rode through my pregnancies in the Big Horn saddles.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

OP, I have a very comfy-looking Paragon Endurance that you can have for the cost of shipping. It's made from totally cheap leather, I hear, but I personally can't really tell the difference. It's heavy (it's alot of leather) but has a very cushy seat). Probably a M or a MW, 18" seat.

In terms of riding while pregnant, if you enjoy it and you've been riding all along and there are no specific complications with your pregnancy, you get on out and ride, girl. It's probably great for your mental health, and it's good to keep active and using your body. Once the baby comes, there will be so many changes in your life.... no need to rush lessening your riding time even before the baby arrives. Maybe make sure there's someone else around when you're riding in case you mess up your balance as you're getting on and the momentum of your belly carries you over and off the far side of the horse :-) but, definitely you can feel good about keeping on doing the healthy active things that make you happy, including riding.

Besides, at six months, you ain't seen nothing yet, in terms of huge. :-) Wait til the last two weeks. You'll be amazed that you're not mistaken for a round bale (you will look perfectly charming to other people; you yourself will just think you have the same mass as a cruise ship). I remember walking into the local pizza joint a few days before my daughter was due, and conversation literally came to a halt. But, I was served very, very quickly. :-)
    Last edited by SharonA; Feb. 2, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! This is not my first pregnancy and I am doing 200% better then the first time around!

FYI though, did you ladies know that most safety recommendations for pregnant women are actually to protect YOU and not your child? You child is just fine and dandy in his private swimming pool suite, you on the other hand, become more prone to injury (which can be lasting) thanks to raging hormones and added weight.

I hurt my foot badly just standing in the kitchen cooking and baking during Christmas time!

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I haven't used a western saddle in YEARS.

I'll PM you Sharon.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca