The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Conformation critique Please

I'm considering purchasing this mare. I think she is adorable and she sounds like a fun ride. And she can jump - which will not be her job here, she would have a pretty cushy life here.

Any thoughts on general conformation? I am not purchasing her to breed.

Don't hold back!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mare1.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	31817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mare2.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	31818  
    Last edited by sketcher; Jan. 31, 2011 at 08:52 AM.

LOVELY well balanced mare!

What would her job be with you?

WIth the more upright neck set out of her fabulous shoulder, I could see her being an excellent candidate for jumper / eventing / dressage more than I could see her being a successful hunter

Like her a lot. Wouldnt hesitate to breed her down the road to a nice WB stallion either!

Is she full TB?

I love her! She LOOKS like a jumper, very athletic. Gorgeous!
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

It's really hard to evaluate her conformation with those pics. They are at a weird diagonal angle. For me, it would be better to have a good side view pic.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Like her a lot. Wouldn't hesitate to breed her down the road to a nice WB stallion either!
    Is she full TB?
    Yes, she is full TB. I would not have intentions of breeding her although I would admittedly constantly be picking out stallions. It would just be a dumb-assed thing to do in this economy with yet another TB mare.

For me she would be a pleasure horse. I know of a teen who likes the jumpers so she could conceivably be shown by the teen. I have to find out her soundness status and that will determine whether or not she has a show career. But I'm after a pleasure horse who is a fun ride, not a show horse. So, that would be secondary.

I'm after a pleasure horse who is a fun ride, not a show horse.
    Plenty a horse would fit this simple criteria. This horse seems as good as any for you. Bit of a waste though... she seems well suited to competing.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway
    It's really hard to evaluate her conformation with those pics. They are at a weird diagonal angle. For me, it would be better to have a good side view pic.

I hear ya. That gets on my nerves more than a lot of things when it comes to conformation shots. When ever I don't get a straight on side shot, I'm guessing the taker is trying to hide a flaw (long back, straight shoulder).
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

YOU know Virginia Bred I was thinking the same thing just now
    It is always best to get a pic from the complete side . It gives you a better overall look at the horse and you are able to see so many other things that way.
    As pretty as she is . You may just need to go there and get better pics for peace of mind.
    Best of Luck to you
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

I agree, the pics make evaluation pretty much impossible.

Would love to see her stood up better!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

LOVE her!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerole View Post
    Plenty a horse would fit this simple criteria. This horse seems as good as any for you. Bit of a waste though... she seems well suited to competing.
    Well excuse me! She is being retired from eventing for a reason. And besides, is there a reason I am not entitled to have a nice quality pleasure horse?

And, for the record, there are not as many who fit my 'simple' criteria as you would expect. I have been looking for a long time.

Nice looking mare.

If *YOU* like her, that is what matters! To me, the most important thing is that when I look down the barn aisle, each and everyone of my horses has a special place in my heart and it doesn't matter a bit to me what someone else may think of them.

I like the looks of her, a lot. Grey can be a hardship though, just something to keep in mind. If you plan to keep her for all her days, there will most likely come a time when problems arise with melanomas.
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; Feb. 1, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

I like her well enough to push you to breed her..................after all, it is the Sport Horse Breeding category!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I like her well enough to push you to breed her..................after all, it is the Sport Horse Breeding category!
    Ok I give! As long as I can send the foal to you to be socialized with other foals. I've done the single foal thing. Including making sure to send baby out for other experiences including being part of a herd - and still ended up with a mare who thinks she is a dog who should be living in the house with us..

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Ok I give! As long as I can send the foal to you to be socialized with other foals. I've done the single foal thing. Including making sure to send baby out for other experiences including being part of a herd - and still ended up with a mare who thinks she is a dog who should be living in the house with us..
    all right, the more the merrier!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    all right, the more the merrier!
    OOOOO, breed this mare to Apiro! hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    OOOOO, breed this mare to Apiro! hahahaha
    OH DEAR LORD HELP ME!!!! OK. He's first on my fantasy list...

Where are all the people who talk about how TB mares are a dime a dozen and foals by warmblood stallions out of Tb mares are even more dime a dozen and how just because they have a uterus doesn't mean they need to be bred....where are you people??!!

And where are the people who can pick out the glaring conformation faults from a few lousy photo's?

And how the economy sucks so I'd better be willing to breed, keep and raise the foal until it is started under saddle and can be best evaluated for a performance prospect...ok, I would probably do that anyway because I love the babies but still!!

Okay, I'll play devils advocate for you.

If you breed this mare you will get a jugheaded, ewe necked, bandy legged foal of the color so closely resembling vomit that your friends and neighbors nick name it "Up Chuck".

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Okay, I'll play devils advocate for you.

If you breed this mare you will get a jugheaded, ewe necked, bandy legged foal of the color so closely resembling vomit that your friends and neighbors nick name it "Up Chuck".
    Thank you. That's more like it.

I don't see anything in the photos that is difficult to judge because of the angles, but of course pics are never as good as face-to-face and seeing the horse move.

Nice throatlatch, decent or better shoulder, nice muscling in stifle/gaskin.
    Good depth of chest, unexceptional withers for a TB.
    Not as much loin muscle as I'd like to see based on her well muscled haunches.
    Appears to have reasonable depth of heels, but long toes on the trim, hoof angles a bit low.

Joints a bit on the delicate side, but good alignment and tendon appearance - would re-assess based on her past soundness history.

She wears a very high head for a TB, don't know if you like that.

Go ahead and find the faults yourself