The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Video and Photos: Pit Bulls Attack and Injure Horses

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

What a shame.

We've found the best defence against loose dogs is 2 large dogs of our own that will protect the property and livestock.

I wonder why it seemed like the guy by the shed, did nothing to help, and the other one with the leash, didn't exactly seem to be really trying to get the dog.

Some people don't think it's such a huge deal for a dog to chase a horse like that. Looks like the owner was in there hoping the dog would come to her, no idea why the person near the shed was just watching the chase and also watching often to see if anyone else was watching.

Betting that dog gets loose and causes problems often considering the "look out" and that the article stated the owner denied owning the dog.

I was rooting for that mare to connect with that kick she fired at the dog finally. Too bad she missed. Also looked like that dog targeted that one mare for some reason, there were other horses in there the dog was ignoring.

Poor horses...and poor dog. That dog will be headed for a date with the needle sooner or later. Through the fault of his dingbat owner.

Hope those two livestock owners getting harassed by dogs consider a good pissy-tempered mule. My neighbors mule is a force to be reckoned with. I thought donkeys were protective...well increase a donkey size by 10x and you've got my neighbor's draft mule Wayne. I doubt there's much out there that could get the best of him. My gelding Sonny is a benefit in that regard too...I can see now why he didn't make it as a working ranch horse. He's a canine-seeking missile. Goes from the sweetest, most docile and submissive boy to a psycho on hooves when a dog gets in the paddock with him. Even if the dog ignores him, he charges with front feet stomping, teeth snapping a a few vicious kicks on the way by. *sigh* I always end up with dog hating horses...but at least I have less worry of a stray bothering my horses. I worry more about the stray dogs than my horses.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You can't blame a dog for acting on natural instincts. It's idiot owners should have never let the thing loose, and should have done something instead of standing there watching it attack. The owners look pretty incompetent based on the video.

I was hoping the poor mare would clobber that dog too... and I love dogs (and pitties). Hate to say it, but any dog who chases livestock like that needs to learn the hard way-- if it's lucky, it gets a good knocking and lives to learn the lesson.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

why is it that if it LOOKS like a pit bull, people rush to throw the dog's breed in the title, if it's say, a shetlie or a lab, it's just a 'dog'? that being said, the owners look like idiots, just standing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    why is it that if it LOOKS like a pit bull, people rush to throw the dog's breed in the title, if it's say, a shetlie or a lab, it's just a 'dog'? that being said, the owners look like idiots, just standing there.
    It makes people feel better, that's why.

Lots of people let their dogs roam off their property. Any dog left to roam unattended is, of course, a potential menace to livestock, children, other pets, property, and most of all, to itself.

But if people can convince themselves that it's all the fault of the evil [pit bulls, dobermans, rottweilers, other evil breed of the moment] then they don't have to get up off the couch and go build a fence to contain Marley or Lassie or Snoopy. Who, not being pit bulls [or member of other demon breed], obviously aren't a problem. Right?

The problem is enforcement of existing laws requiring owners to keep their animals on their own property. Even where I live, in the land of free-range canines, there is such a law. But nowhere near enough resources to enforce it.

I agree it's very frustrating to see the title "Pitbulls attack horse"... whether it's a Pitbull or not should not make a difference. The title would better read "Horse attacked by dogs of ignorant owner", b/c that's the real problem.

I have several large dogs (Rottie, Dobie and Pit) and it's because of posts like this that people are afraid of them, even though they are sweet and loving. When I walk my dogs down the street or take them to the dog park to play, people leave because they assume I have mean or dangerous dogs. It always amazes me that people would think I would bring my my dogs to the park if I thought they were going to attack someone or something. Same when people come to my place, they freak out that the dogs want to be pet or loved on... It's because the media zero's in on something and won't let it go, very rarely if ever actually getting to the real problem.

Do they like to chase the horses? Of course they do (just about any dog does) do I allow it? hell NO

Just about any dog is going to chase something if it runs! it's the owners responsiblity to educate the dog with some training and manners.

Any dog can be dangerous, any animal that has teeth can and will bite. Don't be stupid and buy into the whole shpeal about "this dog breed is great they don't bite", because I can assure you they do and they will.

I see people who gang up on the Pit bull and other large dogs as more of an uneducated person, who likes to draw conclusions because that's the easiest thing to do.

Very sorry about the horse, and it's a sad situation. The dog is probably re-trainable, the owners not so much!
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

Sometimes I feel like there should be some type of mandatory dog training that goes along with being able to register your animal within your designated jurisdiction. The same way that idiot, careless, lazy parents end up with idiot, careless, lazy children, the dogs these people own end up out of control and sometimes dangerous.

I'm not going to get into the breed based crap for the umpteenth time this week, but I think it's reasonable to say that the same way your lab is likely to develop obsessive retrieving behavior if left entirely to his own devices, or your JRT is likely to develop obsessive squirrel chasing behavior if left to his own devices, your PBT is likely to develop some obsessive behaviors if not taught some basic impulse control. I've not found that to be any more difficult or time consuming with my own PBT, and in all of the obedience classes we've been to, the professional trainers have echoed the same sentiment. PBTs, in general, are extremely trainable, people oriented dogs that can really excel without a terribly dramatic amount of work on behalf of a responsible owner. Blaming it on the breed is a big cop-out.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Default Dogs probably aren't registered

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Sometimes I feel like there should be some type of mandatory dog training that goes along with being able to register your animal within your designated jurisdiction. .
    A few years ago VA passed a law saying that any vet who administered a rabies shot to a dog was to report the owner to AC to verify registration.

According to my vet rabies vaccinations are down
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    A few years ago VA passed a law saying that any vet who administered a rabies shot to a dog was to report the owner to AC to verify registration.

This is succch a problem here, too. Both my dogs are registered in my county annually, and wear their tags at all times while outside of my house. This costs me $5/dog/year. I know SO many people that don't register their dogs, but have never, once, met anyone who's ever had any kind of state/county employee ask to see verification of their animal's registry. I once asked a tenant of ours to provide me with her dog's county registry number and she looked at me like I was green with purple spots. She didn't even know of such a thing? I stopped taking my dogs to the local dog park after I saw a county employee come through to make sure everyone had paid their $5 entry fee, and never once checked to make sure the dogs had their county registry tags on (a requirement in our local park).

I wonder if the owners of dogs like the ones in the OP (presumably also not registered) ever face some kind of penalty for failing to register?

This may be wandering a bit OT, but

I think the reason some people avoid registering their animals has to do with some local governments requiring "kennel licenses" for people who own more than a certain number of dogs.

Not all that many dogs, sometimes - I have a cyber friend somewhere in NC who has to have a kennel license for her five.

Anyway, registering one's dogs gives the gummint a head count of one's canines. Which one may want to avoid, especially in those areas where the application for the "kennel license" requires the applicant to allow unannounced inspections of her property.

I don't think this was accidental like the dog just got out. I think they were "conditioning" the dog for chasing prey to get in shape for fighting. The people in the video just stood there and they didn't do anything to stop it, they were standing passively watching.

The livestock owners need a colt.

A Colt .45.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Pal mare was a known dog killer and she did kill a few loose dogs. It didn't matter if it was a chihuahua or a pit in her eyes it was a threat and she would stomp it. I don't think they were training that dog but that was a dumb owner. I've never approved of the dogs chasing horses and I can't blame the dog for poor training either. There is one dog at the barn that has the nasty habit of biting the horses on the nose if they lean out. But we also have a couple of horses that will tag that dog with their teeth as she runs by.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

"Golden Retrieves kill horse" doesnt SELL papers or ad space in papers or on websites, but "Pittbull attack" does. I remember yeeaaarrrs ago my aunts dogs (a dalmation and a mutt) got off the property and went on a killing spree, killing the neighors sheep. My aunt took repsonsiblity and so did her home owners insurance. The dogs were forever subjected to life in a chain when left outside (beside the FULLY fences property which they had figured out to get out of, over and under ANY kind of fencing. THis fence kept GOATS and one a time a stallion!).

It did not however make a papers, but a year later a Pitbull a few miles away was found CROSSING a dairy pasture. The dog took one half ass run at a heifer and like any good mama cow she ran the dog down and damm near killed it. THe dog (young and dumb) made a bee line for the fence running for her life. The dairy man called animal control (after easily catching the dog). THey came and got the dog (a city living dog that had gotten out and gotten lost). THAT made the papers. "Pittbull chasing cows" sells. "Dalmation kills an entire herd of sheep in one night" does not.

I agree with Jswan- don't really care what kind of dog it is- or is reported to be, how "its just their prey instinct", or how its really the owner's fault....blah blah blah.
    Any dog that agressively chases livestock should be dealt with immediately and permanently.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post

It's not so much the registration that is the issue. It's the veterinarians. The vaccination business is a racket around here because the costs of the vaccination are not competitive (as they are mandatory) and vets tack on all sorts of things like physical exams and administrative fees that you can't escape from. That's why many dog owners use the low-cost/free vaccination events. Go to any PetSmart or PetCo when they have one and you'll see several dozen dogs lined up for shots.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    This may be wandering a bit OT, but

I think the reason some people avoid registering their animals has to do with some local governments requiring "kennel licenses" for people who own more than a certain number of dogs.

Not all that many dogs, sometimes - I have a cyber friend somewhere in NC who has to have a kennel license for her five.

Anyway, registering one's dogs gives the gummint a head count of one's canines. Which one may want to avoid, especially in those areas where the application for the "kennel license" requires the applicant to allow unannounced inspections of her property.
    I hadn't considered the concept of "kennel licenses", as I've never had more than 2 dogs at once. That could be a valid concern, depending on municipality, though.

The problem that I see is this: People can't have it both ways. They can't jump up in arms and get crazy every time a newspaper publishes an article about a pit bull attacking something, then use that article, or group of articles as "evidence" that pit bulls are vicious, dangerous dogs. Further, to then complain that registering dogs with the local community in which they reside is "intrusive" make the chances of getting reliable information regarding breeds and tendency to attack/bite that much harder.

Sometimes there are just instances in which you have to take the bad with the good- I would be PISSED if my kid got bitten by a farm dog with no documented vaccination record. As such, I'm assuming the same goes for the rest of the people around here. Sure, a farm owner might say "I give my own vaccines". But how much weight is that going to carry when your kid has just been bitten by a dog whose owner has allowed it to roam freely about the community with almost no supervision? I'd damn well demand to see a registration, or AT LEAST a vet certificate stating its rabies vaccine was UTD.

One of the major problems in getting good data on breed vs. aggression is that in almost all circumstances, the data gathering organization is relying on *reported* bites. I hate to make assumptions, but with the trend in the media tells me that people are a lot more likely to call the cops and report a dog bite when it's a pit bull than were it a black lab biting a kid for pestering it in someone's backyard.

Sorry for taking this slightly OT.