The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding in Atlanta

Before I start I would like to say that I have done a search on here for boarding barns in Atlanta and the surrounding areas. I am hoping that someone on this forum might know of a private barn that has not been discussed yet. I was wondering if any one from Atlanta might know of a private barn in Atlanta that is accepting boarders? Thanks.
    Last edited by wshfulthinkn; Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM.

Ah! Just googled... it's Jolie's place, but she's in Tyrone...

Feel free to PM me the names of the people you've spoken to. I've known the polo crowd of ATL since they were back on Johnson's Fy and I was in diapers.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Good luck! I lived in Atlanta and in my humble opinion, you are SOL if you are anywhere within the perimeter when it comes to finding a good place that isn't a forever-drive away in traffic, and not crazy expensive. You must be near Smyrna/Vinings if you are looking at Polo Bear. I checked there (Well, I think it was polo bear.. there were two farms on the same road, and this was the one with the boarding facility and NO polo field) and it was very small. The ring was OK, but I don't remember the footing as spectacular (or unspectacular). The barn was nice, but not super clean - but admittedly I have been in barns that were cleaner than most kitchens. The owner of the farm, can't remember his name, was very pleasant to talk. He did not have boarding available at the time though. It appeared that there were zero places to ride other than the ring, and the tracks ran right along the back pastures. The pastures themselves were smaller and in a bit of a depression, so I wondered about water accumulation. They were also bordered by homes and backyards. When I was in the area, the polo fields were up for sale so I have no idea what their status is now, and that is the only place I could think that one could ever ride out (pending permission).

I ended up commuting 45min-1 hour to Alpharetta, paid a crazy amount of money for rough board... no electricity, no bathrooms, open-air tack storage, and limited extra care for medical issues. My horse did have a stall which opened to a sizable pasture and daily turnout in a field, weather permitting. There was also use of a decent small dressage ring but the footing was very hard during dry spells. I rode out into Alpharetta along the roads.
    Chastain Horse Park is in the middle of the perimeter, had a huge arena and decent barns, but it was super busy and had zero turnout. It was also very expensive.

Had I to do it over, I would have looked harder at commuting 30-40 min west towards the Douglasville area. You can get way more for your money, but watch-out if you would be going with the flow of traffic during rush-hour. You might be stuck for an eon on I20.. but I guess the same applies to the beltway and GA400 as well.

My recommendations would be to look at bulletin board postings at The Snooty Fox, Horse and Hound, Atlanta Saddlery (are they still in business??), and Dover. Also scan craigslist for private facilities... it doesn't suck as much in ATL as it does in other parts of the country. However, space is at a premium in the ATL area so be prepared to sacrifice things like arena size/turnout/trail opportunities.

Fractious Fox is absolutely right -- there are really no good options inside the Perimeter in Atlanta. I would not keep my horse ITP, even if it cost less than in the suburban areas (which it obviously doesn't).

Chastain Horse Park has a nice arena for jumping, and a covered arena. But the facilities are overloaded -- just way too crowded, particularly if the weather is bad, and you are trying to share the covered arena with the lesson students and therapeutic riding program. There is absolutely no turnout -- your horse will be in a stall or a tiny dirt paddock with barely enough room to get in a good roll. On a related note, since they have no open land available, there is no where to ride other than the arenas -- so no opportunities to just hack out-and-about. Finally, I would not want to work with the head trainer there.

There are a couple of other places in the Perimeter, but I have heard that they get *very* muddy when it rains, and can have some flooding problems. And while they have more turn-out than Chastain, not that much more. As FF said, land is just too much at a premium in the city.

Boarding to the north, in the Alpharetta area, is plentiful. There are lots of good options there. And depending on where you live in Atlanta and your proximity to GA400, this could be the best bet for you. But, if you are going to try to get to the barn after work on weekdays, GA400 will be a parking lot.

I live in Buckhead and work in Midtown with very convenient access from home and work to the interstate. I board out to the west -- about 45 miles from Atlanta. The traffic on I20 can be heavy after work, but it does move. And there are surface streets you can take to avoid the downtown connector and get on I20W at Fulton Industrial if you have reason to believe traffic will be bad (e.g., Flacons or Braves games). The mileage is further going west, but I have timed the drive to where I would have boarded in Alpharetta and where I board, and it only takes me about 10-12 more minutes, each way to be out west. What I get in return for the extra drive is much more land (my trainer has 60 acres of pasture to ride in, and school XC, and obviously great turn-out) with more reasonable prices for all services such as vet and farrier. And full board at most places out west will be about $200-$300 less per month than in Alpharetta.

There are barns to the south of the city which give you the same benefits as going west -- a friend of mine boarded to the south -- I think the barn is called Four Seasons.

I wish you could look south. I have a pretty nice situation with a Western-oriented boarding barn run by lovely people, good turnout, and a trainer who comes to me. Would love to have a jumping buddy, though (I have my own jumps)! I like the independence and it helps with budget to be farther out...but we are still only 30 minutes from shows at the horse park.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Have you looked at the listings in Stablemates?

They tend to have listings from private barns from time to time.

http://www.stablemates.com/mp.htm
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

The only PSA I would add about I-20 east of the city is it is scheduled for lane widening for the next couple of years. That's not a commute I would sign up for willingly. I'm not sure when they are starting that work, but I assume it will be funded as part of the federal money for interstates and as anyone who has been on I20 during rush hour knows it is long overdue but it's going to be awful while they are working on it since stretches of that road will be reduced to 1 lane for a while.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Call some large animal vets and ask them about private barns.
    And if you do not already know him, Jasin Cashin is our dentist who travels all over Georgia and South Carolina and knows many barns up around there. He lives north of Atlanta.
    PM me if you want his phone #.
    Plus, he's an excellent dentist.

I lived over 20 yrs in atlanta and worked at the courthouse downtown. If you can commute at old hours, as i did, you can avoid traffic. And if you can find a barn where you commute against traffic or at odd hours, you can get to north or northeast Atlanta suburbs without having a 2 hour commute. The nice barn that used to be right at the city limits on Peachtree Dunwoody across from the soccer fields became a McMansion subdivision before I retired. It was a great, close in horse barn.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    The only PSA I would add about I-20 east of the city is it is scheduled for lane widening for the next couple of years. That's not a commute I would sign up for willingly. I'm not sure when they are starting that work, but I assume it will be funded as part of the federal money for interstates and as anyone who has been on I20 during rush hour knows it is long overdue but it's going to be awful while they are working on it since stretches of that road will be reduced to 1 lane for a while.
    UGH -- I20 east of the city will be awful during that road construction! Thank God it isn't west, or I would be seriously bummed.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

LOL it *might* be west as well. My research only went as far as scoping out the Conyers Pain...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

LOL it *might* be west as well. My research only went as far as scoping out the Conyers Pain...
    OMG - I am not sure whether I want to look into it or not! Ignorance may be bliss for a while, given that if it is west as well, there is nothing I can do about it but live through it.

They never stop working on the downtown connector or Peachtree.
    There's a song called 'They're Tearing Up Peacetree Again" which should have a new stanza about the interstates added.

PM me- I live in Atlanta and privately board my horse.

Someone mentioned Four Seasons as being south - it is east, 70 miles out I-20. I preferred that commute to going up 400 because *IF* I got on 20 by 4:45, and *IF* there was no road construction, you had a speed limit or above drive the whole way. And for GA400, the reference to it being a parking lot "after work" is true, and "after work" means after about 2pm on most days! It is hard to find a time where that road isn't a mess.

Lane closures on I-20 will be an utter disaster.

They've been repaving on I20 for awhile now, I guess in preparation for the lane widening, so people should be used to the I20 parking lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    ... and "after work" means after about 2pm on most days! .
    Oh my gosh! How could I have forgotten to mention this! This is one of those horrible but true anecdotes about ATL. I can only add that on Fridays "after work" starts at least at 1pm.

I am so glad to be out of there. Totally enjoying reading these posts though.. they warm my heart, by reminding me how happy I am to be awayyyyyy from ATL!

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I work near spaghetti junction, live near the old Buckhead barn, and currently keep my horse in Woodstock. Like everyone else has said the drive up 400 is bad. I am sure trying to go north on 75 would be even better as it becomes a parking lot from 285 and then on north all the way to 575. As I am sure everyone is, I am tired of driving/sitting in traffic. I would love to find somewhere to keep her that isn't so far away. I know that I would have to give up all of the bells and whistles that I currently get at my barn in order to have her closer to home. That is why I thought I would ask the members on this website if they had any insight to any private barns within the perimeter. Thank you in advance if you have anymore suggestions.
    Last edited by wshfulthinkn; Jan. 31, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Quote Originally Posted by wshfulthinkn View Post
    Like everyone else has said the drive up 400 is bad. I am sure trying to go north on 75 would be even better as it becomes a parking lot from 285 and then on north all the way to 575.
    I've done 400N and I currently do 75N in the PM. 75 sucks, but I still maintain that 400 is the WORST commute in Atlanta.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Stall Alert!

Driving around doing my errands this afternoon, I saw 3 stall available signs in Alpharetta, 2 on Hopewell rd near Redd rd and one on Redd rd. I'd check um out if you are still looking!
    you can mapquest that intersection then drive out there to see!

I board at my trainer's place which is barely OTP but not far from Spaghetti Junction. There is no "just board" option though; only board with training. There is turn out and the ring holds up very well despite all the rain we've been having. I even ride in one of the pastures sometimes. PM me if you'd like more info.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    ~Dave Barry
    http://www.youtube.com/hopelesslyretro