The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever trade a horse for board?

Just what it says. Has anyone traded a horse they cant sell for board for a new horse?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

If your horse doesn't has any value, why would anyone want to exchange it for anything?

We had people default on a horse's past training bill and then say "keep the horse for what I owe", when their horse's value was not even close to the amount of the bill, of course.

The couple that wants the horse dont have cash or a horse to trade. They do have a boarding barn. I need a barn for another horse. I dont want to do what peolpe do to you Bluey.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    The couple that wants the horse dont have cash or a horse to trade. They do have a boarding barn. I need a barn for another horse. I dont want to do what peolpe do to you Bluey.

Oh, I understand that, I was using that for an example only.
    I didn't realize you were talking about a real barter, thought it was just an idea, should have asked more.

I would say any deal or trade is ok when both sides are happy with it.
    If you are happy with the trade for x amount of boarding and they are happy to get the horse for that, why not.

I sent a broodmare to a farm to foal. I really didn't want to breed anymore, and the farm owners loved the mare, so I gave her to them for a years board for the baby after it was weaned. It worked out great for both of us.

This would be board for 1 yr + and the papers wouldnt be given until the board was "paid".

What should I put in writeing or be careful of?

I did that with an old car... my BO was in need of an inexpensive runaround town car, I was getting a new car so rather than trade mine in I offered her slightly less than blue book in exchange for X number of months board. Worked out well for both of us.

In your case I would have a Bill of Sale which included the sale prize of say $6,000 which will be paid by and in exchange for board of $500 per month for 1 year.

I would also include should you no longer wish to board horse for any reason, buyer has X days to pay any remaining balance of purchase not offset by boarding fees; and include some protection in case of injury or death of horse

Agree with the above. It the trade makes sense, do it but get the terms in writing. Particularly focus on happens if it doesn't work out with the board (i.e. payment)
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com