The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sat 1/29: Today's ride/horse activity

It's Saturday!!! What are you and your horse up to today?

Today, Angel and I are participating in a big group ride that is a fundraiser for a scholarship. It will be so nice to get out on the trails! Looking forward to it. When we get back, maybe just a little arena work.

How about you?

Since my mare's barefoot and pregnant, she's going to get some treats, get a brushing, get a discussion about being a good mom and her shed cleaned out.

Tomorrow, I am off to ride my friend's sale horse that I have been riding since August.

Saturday is my 'day off', where I mostly stay in and try not to make plans or drive anywhere.

In Connecticut with 100 feet of snow Well, not quite that much. I am hoping just to get my horses out of their stalls today. Had to snow blow a path from the barn to the paddock after the last big storm. Now that path has another foot of snow on it. Will also have to dig out the gates! Hoping I can pull blankets to take a look at them, and so they might be able to roll in the snow. If you are able to ride today, have fun...very jealous! I guess I could try to ride on the path, or in the driveway....come on spring!!
    Mirror Image 2001-2007

Going to Bartville Tack to return the halter and bridle I picked up last weekend.
    The bridle is a COB & too small. Every other bridle for this horse is a cob but not this one.
    I picked up the wrong style halter. I didn't notice it doesn't have a clip at the throatlatch.
    I was 0 for 2 on that trip & it isn't that close.

Then this afternoon I will try to hop on. I just moved Finnegan to a place with an indoor which is real nice with all the snow we have on the ground now.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

lesson day! Seeing what kind of crazy things my instructor has in store for us this week. The horses are relieved at HT's. They go, shew! Glad SHE didn't design these courses!!

Plus need to pick up some feed, etc. I have a bridle I need to take to Bartville to get repaired, but the way it broke,I 'm tempted to just buy a new one... It doesn't inspire confidence for it to not break again.

My "horse day" is Thursdays when I get my lessons until it warms up enough for me to start riding the Cobs again. Jealous of all you guys, enjoy!

Going for a trail ride. The sun is shining, there's snow on the ground, so a bunch of us are heading out for a hack.

Sorry guys, but... It's 65 and sunny!!!!!

I unloaded another 20 bales of hay, removed three wheelbarrows full of poop and leaves from the pasture, and going to finish clipping Fleck, and then we're off for a XC school

Then tomorrow, jump judging all day at Pine top and hopefully a little hill work at home

I'm wishing you all SUNSHINE!!

We were supposed to hosting our second clinic in our gymnastic clinic series, but the snow we got on Wednesday has made parking trailers impossible, so we had to cancel. Now I'm just putzing around and have so errands I must get done.

It's 62F with sunny, blue skies here! It's gorgeous! I'm going out the barn to ride out in the field practicing pacing, maybe hop over some of our XC jumps, and hack around. Then, clean out the rest of the trailer from showing last weekend.
    T3DE Pact

Longed Keebler instead of rode because he was a little ouchy on Thursday and Friday. He looks MUCH better, and demonstrated a very passable Capriole. Back to the Ace tomorrow for riding!

I'm having a Nyquil day (sniffly, sneezy, stuffy, achy, fever, wish I could rest) so Bonnie got the day off.

Emptied the manure bunkers with the tractor.

Wiped out now. Might go to bed.
    Click here before you buy.

Wrapped a foot, fed and mucked, watched some snow frolicking.
    But determined the snow was too heavy/wet/snowball-prone to ride the sound one.

Beautiful day but doesn't seem quite as warm as they said it would be. Taught two lessons and had lunch with some of the barn girls. Now off to ride some horsies! My mare will get the day off, but the training horse and the stallion need to work.

Jennifer

Its almost 70 degrees and sunny here, beautiful! We hacked for a bit and then went to work in the arena, and although our ride was a bit of an argument about popping a shoulder in the canter, the trotwork was lovely and I was in a great mood!

Pony is now out enjoying the weather in his giant pasture with his buddies, and I'm watching some other rides before starting night chores.

Went for a short 20min walk around the property through the endless snow. Halter, leadrope, and snow pants Quite rediculous looking, but, it was a long day at work & I had to do something before heading to the trainers to jump tomorrow. At the very least, it's a great way to encourage calmness, and a big hind-end workout.

Let's hope tomorrows ride goes well! And for those not under 3' of snow - please, stop rubbing it in!

LAZ jump school with Hollywood and one of our other horse peeps. Grids, bending lines, 2-strides, etc. All three horses (and pilots, may I say) were superstars!! Makes for a grand start to the weekend.
    Last edited by AEM74; Jan. 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Rode for the first time since breaking my tibia, 107 days ago. I never thought I would be so happy to spend an hour just walking

Helped a younger barn member get her pony over a pine tree jump in the indoor arena She made the best emergency dismount I've ever seen!

As for Uno, we worked on getting him to use his butt during trot-walk transitions. He gets a little heavy on my hands! Then it was shopping time; new Ariat field boots that won't cut off circulation to my toes, some winter gloves, and the best part? We got to take home two saddles to try out. No more knee roll-less saddle!

Checked Don's leg (he had a knot on one of his hindlegs, no swelling but it was sensitive to the touch), it looked much better, so he got lunged, his mane pulled, then we went for a bareback walk/short trot. And before that I turned him out and kept up the ongoing process of attempting to remove all the old poop from his run (whoever boarded their horse in this run before me must have rarely cleaned it... luckily it's not totally HORRIBLE but it's annoying).
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

Took the young horse fox hunting, for her second time ever. Beautiful day and she was excellent!