The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you friend or ask to be a friend?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • I RESPOND to a request by friending only people I am actually friends (or associates) of.

66 48.89%
  • I RESPOND as in #1, but also with businesses I favor (or just like the sound of).

36 26.67%
  • I RESPOND as in both #1 and #2 above and also with famous riders, even if I don't really know them.

29 21.48%
  • I ASK all friends of friends to be my friend, even if they are famous riders I don't really know.

7 5.19%
  • I ASK only friends of friends if I am actually known by them (famous or not).

39 28.89%
  • I ASK anyone and everyone as long as their picture includes a horse.

6 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you "friend" horse people you don't really "know" on Facebook?

Two questions, really. I'm stone-age when it comes to using Facebook. One of these days, I want to put my biz up there or something (whatever one does), but in the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what to do and WHY.

So, when someone I know asks me to be a friend, I confirm it.

But what do you do when a business asks?

Or some famous horse person who you know OF, or even had a little interaction with (like looked at a horse of his or something), but don't really know like a friend?

And then, what about when it tells you some famous rider is a friend of a friend of yours? Do you ask to be that famous rider's friend? (McClain Ward and Darren Chiachia keep popping up on my "friends of your friends" list -- or whatever that is called.)

Now, I'm dead serious folks! I really want to know what's the etiquette for this stuff--and why you do what you do when you do it, too!

Thanks.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I would friend a business if it was one I patronized a lot or knew the owners but otherwise no. I do "like" a few businesses though. I do friend a lot of people I know know through hobby or online horse boards/forums or animal rescue but I also don't get really personal on there either. For more personal stuff I will PM.
    Last edited by summerhorse; Jan. 28, 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I only request people I actually know, or at least "know" in the sense that I know who they are and have communicated with them frequently.
    I do however accept all requests I receive from people with either horses in the profile picture and/or a few friends in common. Partly because I am terrible with names and wouldn't want to offend someone I'm actually supposed to know, and partly because I don't put anything on Facebook that I feel needs a restricted approach, so why not.

Oh and I do have some famous "friends" but they are soap stars, animal rescue leaders, etc. who friend their "fans". If a famous rider wanted to friend ME I would say yes but I wouldn't ask them even if 20 of my friends already had.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

in a word no i only add people i am mates with

LOL about Darren, I think he is friends with every horse person on the planet on FB....

I see the "friending people you don't really know" MOST with horse people. I've gotten zillions of requests from horse people who are friends of friends and I'm just like.... I don't know you... no, I am not friending you..... If it is someone local that i kind of know I don't mind, cause it is kind of cool to make connections that way and usually we DO know each other, somehow, in some convoluted way. But when I get a request from a horse person halfway across the country who I've never spoken to or recognize I don't accept.

If you have horses or a business to promote, I can see reaching out to more people you may not know at all. I do friend certain businesses that I like or believe in.

FB is definitely an odd thing... I can't wait to see what history books say about it in 50 years!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses while I was figuring out how to post a poll. Would y'all kindly try the poll, please? (I'm not sure I did it right, but I'd like to find out the frequency of various types of facebook friending behaviors.)
    Sportponies Unlimited

I am friends with Denny Emerson. I'm pretty sure he wants everyone to be his FB friend

Other than that I add local barns, show venues, or people I meet/ride with.

There are a couple of different types of pages or profiles on Facebook. An individual can make a "normal" profile like you or I might have for a business or organization, which would require "friending", or they can make a business/organization "fan" page, which you would "like". Same goes for famous folks.

Yes, I friend/like famous riders, farms I'm interested in, etc. For those famous riders and farms, facebook is an excellent way to keep in touch with the fan base- they can tell people where they'll be competing, about new horses coming in, old horses that have a following, medical updates, etc. Most of those famous riders probably have two different Facebook pages- one as a "fan" page and one for actual personal contacts and REAL friends, family, etc.

If you're looking to make a page for your biz, well- the nice aspect of a "normal" profile- like one an individual makes- is that you can lock down the profile, privacy wise, and only friend people you know. This would be great for a small personal farm.

A biz page or fan page has fewer security options, and anyone can "like" it. You don't get to control who has access to the page. Makes sense for some bigger businesses (Like smartpak, Tamarack Hill Farm, etc) but maybe not so much for a smaller facility.

ETA: I didn't answer the poll because there are simply too many variables. I "friend" normal individuals whom I actually know. I "friend" some famous riders whom I'm a fan of to follow their progress. I "like" businesses like Smartpak and THF; Smartpak often has sale announcements, contests, etc, and Denny posts the most fascinating pictures on the THF page.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I don't "friend" people I don't know, and I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know. I'll see names pop up in the "people you may know" spot and think 'Hey I know who that it is', but that doesn't mean I care to have them on my Facebook page - not because of content I put on there, but because I just don't care to have a million Facebook friends. I have, I think, 240. And they are all people I actually KNOW in real life, or some are local bars I like. Honestly, I've been progressively losing interest in Facebook for months now. I log on maybe every few days, and will post a status update or something here and there. Facebook kind of annoys me.

I've made tons of horsey connections via fb, it puts my name and my farms name out there, and I have become "friends" of the facebook variety with many "famous" horse people over time, now I get friend requests from horse people that want to know me. it's a wonderful networking tool. We use it for our family businesses also, it's pretty much a must to reach the younger crowd now a days

As a general rule, I have the same feelings as CBoylen. In terms of requesting friends, I only request connection with people I legitimately know and talk to on at least a semi-regular basis. I accept most friend requests from adults I even *might* recognize, but I do have a kind of threshhold. If the person is an adult and has at least 5 or so connections to people I know I'll accept the friend request and assume that it's someone I *should* know, but it's my curse of being terrible with names coming back to me. If the person only has a few connections and I don't recognize the name I opt to "ignore." I don't post anything that would be considered "private," but I have had enough friends with hacked accounts to not be terribly interested in accepting invites from everyone who asks.

I've had some COTH people who have requested friendship who I don't know well, but I've accepted as long as they've explained who they are (not that they need to be detailed, just "I'm so and so on COTH...."). Oh, and if the requesting person is under 16 I don't accept unless I know them well (via horseshows or family friendship or something along those lines).

I only friend "famous" people when there is no "fan" option to get updates and information from them.

I tend to accept friend requests if we have enough mutual friends/associations just because I feel like I might need to be connected to that person at some time.

I do have a Limited Profile option for people I accept requests from who I do not know in real life (or who I don't want to follow my updates...)
    Last edited by Natalie A; Jan. 28, 2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    As a general rule, I have the same feelings as CBoylen. In terms of requesting friends, I only request connection with people I legitimately know and talk to on at least a semi-regular basis. I accept most friend requests from adults I even *might* recognize, but I do have a kind of threshhold. If the person is an adult and has at least 5 or so connections to people I know I'll accept the friend request and assume that it's someone I *should* know, but it's my curse of being terrible with names coming back to me. If the person only has a few connections and I don't recognize the name I opt to "ignore." I don't post anything that would be considered "private," but I have had enough friends with hacked accounts to not be terribly interested in accepting invites from everyone who asks.
    This is what I do too. Although I have some horsey friends (IRL) who have 1500+ FB "friends"
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'm FB friends with Rob Gage from JMR... that's the only famous rider I'm friends with
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

I'm pretty sure that you aren't actually supposed to make a profile page (like what a person has) for a business; you are supposed to make a fan page. Of course, that's one of those rules that's observed at least as often in the breach.

I am pretty much friends only with people I "know" - though a few of them I only know online (but I "knew" them in that virtual sense before friending them on FB). I "like" various businesses, pro riders, etc. (Count me as another big fan of Denny's pictures - and Ecogold always puts up fun stuff, too.) [I think there are a couple of groups/businesses that I'm "friends" with who don't have fan pages, though.]

I get random requests from horse people, too. If I can't figure out who they are and/or don't know them, I ignore the request. I don't see my personal FB page as an attempt to collect as many names as possible to prove my popularity, I guess.

There are exceptions to the above on my friends list, but only a couple, and each for specific reasons. And they are nice people.

Oh, and FB thinks Darren should be my friend, too...
    Proud member of the EDRF

I suspect Darren is friending everywhere.
    Sportponies Unlimited

My rule is, if I wouldn't want you to come visit me in my home, then you are not my friend, on facebook or otherwise.

I have several friends who accepted friend requests from someone who seriously harmed one of my horses - just because she had a horse in her profile picture, they assumed she was someone nice, someone they probably knew. That's scary. I think a friend is a friend, facebook or not.

I'm only friends with people I know and I "like" Colonial Downs, WEG, and Keenland. The only time I will friend someone I don't know is if I know that they are part of a horse forum I go on. But I know most of the people on there.
    Proud owner of Finger Lakes' Finest Devilshire.

Quote Originally Posted by pwynnnorman View Post
    I suspect Darren is friending everywhere.
    There goes my Coke all over my keyboard...
    Proud member of the EDRF