The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Those pics are too cute TBrescue. My mare makes a face just like that when she's waiting to be fed. To me, it makes her look just like a moose. Hence her nickname, Sillymoose.

ETA: Cool I figured out how to upload a video. Here is Silly's moose face.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29598352@N03/5397353882/
    Last edited by Sillymoose; Jan. 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM.

hee hee. Too cute!!!

Fleck is insane too!! He's a licker... always, everything... a cookie monster... a begger.... Uses me as a scratching post... and even better.. uses my friends horses butt as a scratching post while on a trail ride. Her pony is a bit smaller so it almost always sends his haunches flying.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1727.730570966

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&id=730570966

Oh, AND.. he can curl his tongue!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7&id=730570966

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3250.730570966

He also likes for you to poke his nose while he wiggles it. Kinda similar to Vernons slap fight.

Such goobery animals....

Default mares singing

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    I have had several mares (3 of which were eventers) that would "sing" as we would walk along on a hack or after a workout. They would get a real swing in their walk, and then kind of grunt/ hum in time.

Maybe my mares are related to humpbacked whales?
    my old mare would always "sing" to herself going down a hill-so funny. It was like a high pitched groan in time to her footfalls that sounded so funny.

My mare i have now makes quite possibly the cutest "cookie face" ever-I'm such a sucker for it. It's my fault she is spoiled, but very politely. She never is mouthy and if you don't have a treat she'll leave you alone but I taught her to give me a kiss so she lifts her nose up to me in hopes that I will kiss it and she will have earned a cookie. She then sometimes lifts her nose up gives me these big adorable eyes and tilts her head a little and just keeps it there like "coooooookieeeeeeeeee please?????? I am so cute!"
    since she is polite I usually indulge her desire for a cookie.
    Other than that she is pretty normal as far as quirks go, she's very sensitive under saddle but is the quietest horse on the ground, she was so easy to teach ground manners to. Most people can't believe she was off the track.

Addie with "smile" for treats, hehe, its pretty cute. She also loves to get into anything and everything, which she usually then tries to eat. She also enjoys trying to get the farrier's hat off of his head while he does her front feet. We will play this game of "you leave his hat alone" and I'll get this look saying "come on mom, you know you want me to have it", back and forth the entire time. More than once my farrier has thought I was talking to him, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Sillymoose View Post
    Those pics are too cute TBrescue. My mare makes a face just like that when she's waiting to be fed. To me, it makes her look just like a moose. Hence her nickname, Sillymoose.

ETA: Cool I figured out how to upload a video. Here is Silly's moose face.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29598352@N03/5397353882/
    Hahaha....my horse's name is Moose...he got it with the antler pic and it stuck. The really funny part is he LIKES it, he comes when you call him Moose !

My horse follows me all over the pasture where ever i go, and when i come to get her she nickers and comes to the gate! Last night she got out of her pasture(yeah...im a bad mom) and i freaked cause it was dark out and she is black with a dark blanket and so i just had to run after her with the sounds of her hoof beats and then all the sudden they stop and she turned around and stared at me, and didn't move till i got her - too funny!
    Why walk when you can ride?

Too cute!

My old mare did a similar thing while rolling, only she would sit up on her hind end and scoot. Here's a video of it:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...t=febo7093.mp4

2 members found this post helpful.

My OTTB gelding loves to do the 'tongue game.' He'll stick his tongue out the side (usually his right side) so that you come and grab it and slap it. He likes to make faces too, and licks everything in site, especially after he's had his scotch mints. Gotta love em!!
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2677826_n.jpg

My horse can see the back of the house from his stall...I thought he could only see me when I stepped out the door...yesterday morning, I was still in my pajamas, with coffee cup, and I stood in the sliding glass door window...and he knickered when he saw me through the window! My god! I'm being watched by my horse!
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

1 members found this post helpful.

My gelding flicks his ears back and forth constantly while we ride... I was kind of confused why pictures would always come out with ears all the way forward or turned back like he was listening to me, until my friend took a video of us. He doesn't pin his ears, more like flicks them back like he's listening to me, then sees something more interesting and puts them forward again... then back to me... then back to the more interesting thing... If he's REALLY focused though, they stay back towards me.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

lol, my gelding sings for his food. he has the ABSOLUTE most girly sounding neigh ever. really, it's a squeak. and he can hold one
    "note" (for lack of a better term) for a full minute and then some. i'm pretty sure my hearing has never been the same since i purchased him.

the other thing he does is take stuff out. doesn't matter what it is, or what it's in, it's gotta come out. he pulled floating heaters out of water troughs, so we had to go replace it. he pulls stuff out of his buckets. he tries to pull his Likit off the wall. he pulls gloves/spurs/etc out of upside down helmets. he pulls ALL his hay out of his hay bag or manger (hey, at least it keeps him busy...)

he also refuses to step in poop. especially his own. he'll only roll where there's grass, and gets quite mad if he finds said patch of grass happened to be covering a very muddy patch.

OH! another thing. normally he is totally bombproof, but if he's all hyped up on XC from showing off his madskillz to a mare, he will spook at just about anything. including trees. pinecones. bikes. humans. other horses.

he is the butt of so many jokes, bless his dear heart.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

3 members found this post helpful.

my old gelding was the most peculiar pony ever. He was the pony that taught me everything. I showed him 3gt pleasure pony at the ASB shows.

He didn't like peppermint flavored peppermints, but loved spearmint flavored. He hated carrots, but loved celery lol. He would always try and steal soda bottles, and tip them over and drink from them. He also insisted on drinking out of the water hose whenever I would rinse him off on a hot summer day after a workout. Like, he would chase the water hose with his nose trying to get a drink. He would stick his tongue at it at first and then start drinking it like someone drinking from a water fountain lol. He wasn't thirsty, trust me, he just thought it was fun for some reason.

He also always tried to steal pizza lol. I am guilty of giving him the crust a couple of times! When you had something you wanted, and if he were standing in the crossties or something, he would look at you all cute and innocent and then hold his foot up begging. I think he picked up that trick from him getting into trouble for pawing in the cross ties!

He would go through anything. He was the best trail horse ever... but he never got over water. He always jumped over small puddles or narrow creeks and streams. If it was too wide for him to jump, he would hop through it like a bunny rabbit. However, one time, a friend and I took him and another horse swimming while on a trial ride. He hated it at first, but then he thought it was fun to stick his nose under the water and blow bubbles like you'd do whilst drinking from a straw. lol. Yeah.. he was a cool boy.
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Koda:
    If Koda needs to roll in the arena, he will run to the exact same corner, spin one really fast circle, and, instead of gracefully laying down like most, he THROWS himself on the ground and wiggles!

Zack:
    If Zack is bored in his stall, he will wiggle his lip on the stall door.

George:
    If George is bored, he will run his top lip down the stall door until it is folded back almost over his nostrils and then just stands there, looking out his stall with his lip back and his teeth against the door.

Kobie:
    Kobie likes to lead himself out to the paddock. He takes the leadrope from me, trots away from the barn to his paddock, and wait at the gate for me, all the time with the rope still in his mouth.

Kobie and Koda crib.

All geldings! And they are special...
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

I leased a pony that kept his stall neater than any horse I have seen since! He would pee in one back corner, pooped in neat rows in the back, and never spread his hay around. One time when I went into his stall to clean it, there was PERFECT rows of poop. They were aligned perfectly in two rows.

Ti sometimes does the little grunting noises/singing on hacks.

My old horse would lie down, flat on his side, every single day a for nap. He was on day/night turnout depending on the season. During the summer, he would lie down around 9-10 in the morning after he ate his breakfast. I'm not sure when in the night he took his naps, but I knew he did because was pinto and always had poop stains.

What is it with the greys, pintos, Appies, etc. that roll in their poop, pee, and any mud they can find? Seriously, it seems like it's not just that darker horses "hide" poop and mud because none of my darker horses rolled in poop in the first place!
    T3DE Pact

My mare will NOT go poo while being ridden. She's too much of a lady. But you have to hussle her back to her stall after you get off or else she'll go wherever and then you got to clean it up. She also prefers to pee on shavings. we were at an open show and inbetween classes we were wandering around inbetween the other riders (she led the way). She found herself a pile of shavings in the corner and peed on them. With everyone watching. My trainer at the time pretended not to know me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Stella seems like she will ONLY go poo while she is being ridden. Like every time 20 minutes into my ride. I think she just wants a break

Baxter will turn off the hose at the end of his bath. I always spray his face last and he reaches through the water and turns the lever with his teeth. Sadly, I've never been able to get pics or video - I finally started making my barn friends watch just so someone would believe me.

My mare loves to have her teats cleaned. She LOVES IT SO MUCH that when I start toward that vicinity while grooming, she hikes her hind leg (like a male dog) for easier access. And, I mean she hikes it WAY HIGH!

It's really kind of embarrassing!
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

1 members found this post helpful.

My departed TB mare used to scratch the outside of her front legs by criss crossing her front legs and scratching with the opposite leg. Then she'd usually leave her legs criss crossed and stand that way for a while.

She could also arch her back like a cat. When getting a bath, every time cold water ran down her tail crack...arched in half like a cat. I mean most horses hunch up when the water hits, but she bent her spine much more than I've ever seen. Kind of freakishly. I think this is also why she could buck like a bronco when she felt like it as a youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Vernon likes to play "slap fight." He wiggles his nose back and forth while you gently slap it with both hands. He's a total weirdo. He's thinks it's the best game ever. He also stands on three legs when he's begging. I think it's because he knows he's not supposed to paw. He also likes stick the hook for his halter up his nose if he can reach it (after throwing the halter across the aisle). Thank goodness it's one of those flexi hooks!

His BFF likes for you to, for lack of a better word, bang on his teeth. You put your hand flat against his lips, then he makes like he's going to bite you, but he's not, then stands there with his mouth open, teeth out, while you bang on his teeth. Kinda like slapping your hand on your mouth and making the cheesy "injun" noise from the Old West movies. TOTAL weirdo. No wonder he and Vernon are BFFs.
    Thank you for the laugh this dreary Monday am!