The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Time is money, or carrots... Quirky things your horses do.

I finally caught a video today of my mare rolling. Instead of rolling, getting up, then dipping the other side she saves time and energy by just staying on her knees. Where or how she learned this is beyond me. I thought COTHers would appreciate this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rkUXb340YI

What kinds of weird quirky things do your horses do!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Too funny! My mare does something similar, but instead stays sitting on her hind end. She rolls on one side, sits up like a dog, pivots on her butt, and then flops down to the other side! I think this just proves that mares are smarter....

HA! We've had a few that do that, all mares!

My horse grunts like an old man sometimes when I am riding him and am asking to do more work than he would like to do..

My horse will, when considering rolling, will walk around for quite a while, then lay down to his knees, decide it's not suitable, jump up. Repeat. Over. and over. and over again. Haha. He actually ended up getting some nasty rubs on the fronts of both fetlocks, lol. It's so funny to watch him in his paddock wandering around and half laying down, then panicking and jumping up

everything?

Hmmm, she's afraid of branches that lay on the ground, branches that sound like they may fall, drinking out of the creek unless I'm standing there to "protect" her, anything with a tarp. actually, it's kinda funny, if she's afraid of something, she will look and snort, and.keep.walking.towards.it. step by step on her own. every muscle on edge, just KNOWING it's gonna jump up and get her. Once she gets to it. she goes, oh, okay, whatevs.

Really, besides that, she's just wierd. a PAIN to keep weight on, but the most non food motivated horse I've ever known.

love to hear more stories!

Vernon likes to play "slap fight." He wiggles his nose back and forth while you gently slap it with both hands. He's a total weirdo. He's thinks it's the best game ever. He also stands on three legs when he's begging. I think it's because he knows he's not supposed to paw. He also likes stick the hook for his halter up his nose if he can reach it (after throwing the halter across the aisle). Thank goodness it's one of those flexi hooks!

His BFF likes for you to, for lack of a better word, bang on his teeth. You put your hand flat against his lips, then he makes like he's going to bite you, but he's not, then stands there with his mouth open, teeth out, while you bang on his teeth. Kinda like slapping your hand on your mouth and making the cheesy "injun" noise from the Old West movies. TOTAL weirdo. No wonder he and Vernon are BFFs.

I have had several mares (3 of which were eventers) that would "sing" as we would walk along on a hack or after a workout. They would get a real swing in their walk, and then kind of grunt/ hum in time. I'm trying to think how to express it visually...

If x's are footfalls and the dash means they happen at the same time, one song would kind of go
    x-uh x-HUH xx x-uh x-HUH x x x-A x-HUH x-HUH x-HUH

Mares had different songs, and one even clacked her teeth in rhythm as part of the song (not with every stride, but in a repeat pattern within her song).

Never had a gelding that did it, but then I haven't had many geldings. And riding companions would think I was nuts until they heard it themselves.

Maybe my mares are related to humpbacked whales?
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hehe cute, how efficient! Mares *are* smarter!

My little mare's paddock opens to the pasture, so when she rolls, she rolls over her withers several times, then jumps up and gallops (bucking & all) back into her paddock, bucks some more, then gallops back to the same spot to roll again, rinse, repeat. If her paddock gate happens to be closed b/c someone else had turned out their horse in the field, she gets mad, insists that i open it so she can run into her paddock for the bucking and turn-around routine.

Illustration:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3907596_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6003026_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2083958_n.jpg

She also makes editorial comments about my requests when I ride her, i.e. grunt something that sounds very much like "you did NOT just ask me to bend right!" etc.

And if she encounters something she'd rather not do again, she closes her eyes and turns her head sideways...
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

My mare does that "singing" thing, too, but at the trot. My gelding will make a small, whistle-type wheezy sound occasionally when he's being asked to work--he does it just once. It's very cute.

My horse flaps his lips when he's bored to entertain himself. If he stands in the crossties too long without something going on (and especially because in the crossties, he can't reach anything to get his mouth on it), I'll hear him flapping away. If we stand in the ring too long on a ride, he'll start it up. Sometimes he'll do it immediately after a halt and I say he's applauding himself for whatever he just did that was good.

Not sure if I have it on video or not, will have to look when I get home.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

My mare will self scratch. If you hold your hand up on her face she will very purposely move her head up and down, always making sure she gets all parts of her head. Will sit and do it for ever. She won't scratch her head on anything else, but you can tell she does it very purposely on your hand.

I've been trying to catch my gelding's temper tantrum on video for years now. Whenever he's upset about something (usually me getting onto him for not having manners at food time or other horses telling him they DO NOT want to play anymore) he'll go out into the middle of his paddock and turn and bite his stifles. Sometimes he alternates biting both sides and other times he'll turn in a tight circle while biting, kind of like a dog chasing it's tail. He does it much less frequently now that he's matured a lot but still does it on occasion. When I first got him I would find him with bloody marks all over his stifle area but couldn't figure out what was going on. Yep he was doing it to himself. Silly boy.

oh, forgot the biggest thing. My mare pees on command. I go out to get her and if I whistle, she stops, and pees. If I get her without whistling, she won't come in until she has stopped and peed. I actually like it!

Second is she poos. alot. If I ride her at an other than normal time. Once I bring her in the barn, she will poo at least 5 times. That's in about 10 minutes. And she rations it. She'll drop a couple turdlets? (lol) and it's not a nervous runny anything. But if she's in crossties while the horses are being let in, she's happy as a clam as horses come zipping in. The busier the barn is, the happier and calmer she is. If it's quiet, she's a pooing nutjob.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesper Sparrow View Post
    My mare does that "singing" thing, too, but at the trot. My gelding will make a small, whistle-type wheezy sound occasionally when he's being asked to work--he does it just once. It's very cute.
    My gelding does this too. I always think it sounds like he is a balloon deflating. lol It sound really winey and can go for a good while.

I have also heard him make this sound while rolling so I cannot decide if it's a good noise or bad as he always enjoying the rolling.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vid...50296277300062

There. It's not quite what I mean, because he's doing the lip thing because he's holding a whip in his mouth but it's close.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillymoose View Post
    I've been trying to catch my gelding's temper tantrum on video for years now. Whenever he's upset about something (usually me getting onto him for not having manners at food time or other horses telling him they DO NOT want to play anymore) he'll go out into the middle of his paddock and turn and bite his stifles. Sometimes he alternates biting both sides and other times he'll turn in a tight circle while biting, kind of like a dog chasing it's tail. He does it much less frequently now that he's matured a lot but still does it on occasion. When I first got him I would find him with bloody marks all over his stifle area but couldn't figure out what was going on. Yep he was doing it to himself. Silly boy.
    Ah is he a polish Arabian? A gelding at my barn does that he holds his leg up and chews his knees when he gets stressed and pissy, and the tail chasing thing occurs once in a while. The owner actually warned us about the tail chasing as I guess the last barn thought he was showing neurological symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillymoose View Post
    lol! This made me crack up!! That's so funny, I've never seen a horse do that before!

My gelding begs. He sticks his neck out, turns his head sideways so his cheek is almost facing straight up and opens his mouth....I call it his baby bird impression.

it looks kind of like this

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...d/DSC_0207.jpg

or this

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...sPonies003.jpg
    Last edited by TBrescue; Jan. 28, 2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: fixed broken link

He's actually a TB. I think he just gets so frustrated whenever he can't be obnoxious like he wants to and he has to get it all out somehow. He's gotten better though. When he was in a stall, he used to do the spin bite thing then push his butt as hard as he could up against the stall wall and buck. And he's been known to squeal while doing this whole routine. Thankfully he doesn't do that variation often . One of these days I'll catch it on video and post it here.