The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Default What do you listen to when you ride?

Most of the time I don't listen to my ipod when I ride because of the following:

1. One of the other boarder geldings likes to try to eat my headphones... he has some sort of oral fixation
    2. I can't hear if someone is trying to yell at me (which happens)
    3. The darn headphones block out the sound of everything else, and I need to hear my horse

Safety issue and whatnot WRT that last point on the list (acronyms! I using 'dem! It mean "With respect to"! *gaggling grin* )

However, I want to know what you rock out to if you DO use your ipod or if you are lucky enough to have an overhead speaker system. Currently I'm rocking to Feist, and I unfortunately do not have an indoor arena and/or a speaker system (but I'm considering getting one of those portable speaker set things that you can plug your ipod into... those suckers can get LOUD!)

Ok, COTHers, GO! Inspire me!
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

My horses hooves and breathing. I hate having the radio on. I also think headphones are dangerous since you cannot hear what might upset or startle your horse. JMO
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

No overhead speaker system, but a little CD player. The radio doesn't come in clear so I usually just throw in a cd. Sometimes it's spa music (ok, it's mostly spa music), but sometimes I'll drag out some nickleback....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I don't usually listen to anything. I feel strange when I'm listening to music because I can't hear my horse's hoofbeats or his breathing...or anything else for that matter.
    Sometimes I'll have headphones in when I'm grooming though, and I'll just keep them in to ride. I listen to whatever is currently playing, but I ride better when the songs have nice clear beats that are a faster tempo, because I tend to end up posting in time to the song.

I do agree that listening to music can be dangerous, you can't hear if someone is yelling, you can't hear noises that might spook your horse, and the awful things that could happen because of the headphones cord.

...yet I still do it sometimes.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I listen to snow sliding down the roof, then I listen to me quickly saying a Novena so that my injuries will be minor.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I'm usually either:

1.) Chatting & laughing with friends/trainer.

or

2.) Enjoying the peaceful quiet of just my horse and I enjoying eachother.

Can't even remember the last time I listened to music while riding, though I think my old barn (years ago) did used to have a radio on in the background most of the time.
    Who is John Galt?

At the last barn I was at, the BM had a radio that was on 24/7. It was far enough away that I usually tuned it out and could barely hear it anyway when I was in the indoor working. When I work Classy Lady in particular, I want to hear her feet since she's gaited. However, I dream of one day doing quadrille again or maybe a freestyle routine if I can ever get my Ivan trained well enough, so sometimes I get the urge to listen to something fun and planning fun moves. I agree it's generally dangerous not to be able to hear your horse. I think if I had a sound system that I could still hear the important stuff over it, that could be a reasonable stretch. Unfortunately, I ride alone a LOT, and I'm musically inclined.

My old instructor in H'ville used to have an overhead speaker system. I can't remember if it was cd or radio, but I occasionally would show up just in time to watch her riding her grand prix horses and would just be amazed. After watching the WEG freestyles, it makes me want to coordinate my ponies' movements to music Someday, someday....
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

The radio is constantly on at our barn. The barn rats and BO like Top 40 stuff, which I can tolerate for a few hours. If I get to the radio first, I usually put on the modern rock station. Sometimes classic rock. One horse I used to ride had the same rhythm as a couple of my favorite Grateful Dead songs .

If I turn my ipod on (barn radio has one of those ipod docks) I normally put on one of my running mixes. Those are kind of eclectic, but I think there's Silversun Pickups, Mumford and Sons, Jay-Z, the Roots, and maybe some Muse on most of them.

ETA: I normally don't bother with music while I ride, but sometimes being stuck in the indoor all winter gets to me!

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    Silversun Pickups... Muse
    YES. I <3 you

Nothing but nature...clip-clop of hooves, snorting, idiot deer crashing through the woods, cars in the distance, bear bells during hunting season.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

No hardware for me. There are times it might be nice to turn on soft classical on a radio, but mainly I'm listening for the sound of the BO's dad turning on his backhoe, so when mare scoots, I don't get surprised.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Currently... The All-Natural Sounds of Nature. lol

If I happen to be riding somewhere that has access to an outlet and I happen to have a radio, country radio it is.

I don't usually listen to music while riding, but sometimes while I am grooming or cleaning tack and no one is around I will turn on a Pandora station on my phone. I just let it play in my pocket without wearing headphones or anything, so if I wanted to rock out and ride at the same time, that's how I would do it
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

The voices in my head.....

My old barn had a radio system but it was very fuzzy. People sometimes brought (terrible imho) cds.

When not in a lesson I always ride with my ipod, one earbud in.

My music of choice is a playlist "Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Best Songs of All Time". Its amazing and has everything from Outkast to Aerosmith to MJ to Lennon. Its also excellent for learning karaeoke songs
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    The voices in my head.....
    I like this one...don't we?
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I don't listen to an iPod or radio, I need to listen out for horse-eating turkeys, deer, or bunnies that might lurking in the woods so I can try to avoid a spook. lol.
    Dear life, please send grapes. Sincerely, I prefer wine over lemonade.

Hoofbeats.

My rides are so enjoyable they don't require a soundtrack.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I listen to my iPod pretty much every time I ride - I'll admit it. I used to board at a place with an indoor and a fancy sound system so got stuck listening to whatever the barn owner wanted (and, usually, it was Christmas carols. I really, really do not like Christmas carols.. certainly not in March). I got in the habit there, basically to drown out the stereo (and, uh, some fellow boarders) but now like it for different reasons.

Now, I'm at a different barn. I ride alone, so I don't have to worry about people yelling at me (if there happens to be someone else out there while I'm riding, I skip the iPod). I just tuck the cord down my shirt and put my iPod in my pocket or tucked into the ridiculously high waistband of my DQ-fabulous pants.

I ride with it for a couple of reasons - the most pertinent being that I'm a hideous judge of both time and tempo. I can trot around happily for a few moments and go, "Whee! that was HOURS!" because I am that oblivious. So, I give myself a gauge - I'll walk for two songs, trot for two, canter for one, and on. It makes keeping track much easier. Same for tempo - if I have a song that I'm riding along with, I've found that I keep a more consistent rhythm... or I at least work at doing so.

As for not being able to hear hoofbeats? Pffft. I have this silly thing about being able to hear when I'm sixty, so my iPod is never that loud. I can absolutely hear my horse's hoof falls - and I can hear when he's being lazy and dragging a toe. He wishes that I couldn't, I'm sure, but there you go. It's not like I'm listening to death metal at max volume.

I use my iPod basically as just one big playlist of songs I like (I have the full albums on my iTunes, but just the songs mixed up on the 'Pod) so it's a complete surprise as to what will come up next. I think today I ended up starting off to some 90s alternative, then went for some Muse (because Muse IS fabulous to ride to), then there was some folk, a classical piece or two, a JayZ song, some Fanfarlo, and then back to the 90s for our cool down. Basically the only thing I don't have on my iPod is hard-core electronica.. just because, you know, want to be able to hear when 60.

I DID learn, though, that it is best to take the earbuds OUT if you happen to be changing wool sheets on a fuzzy horse. I mean, unless you WANT to get static shocks IN YOUR EARS. It was... it was ouch.