The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who is going to HITS Thermal this year?

I live near-by in Palm Springs and will probably be at the show grounds on the weekends. I will not be showing as I ride dressage and have not done hunters for at least 15 years now. However, I love watching the hunter/jumper classes and would love to see some of my fellow COTHers there.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Yay! I will be there weeks 1 & 2 I think. The schedule just came out. I will be doing the Medium AO Jumpers, but my goal is to try to move up to the highs. PJ may be there to hang out and do the ticketed hunter schooling, too. I still have yet to pull him out of the pasture where he has been doing some more growing up, but he is an easy-going fella.

I finished up my last show of the year 2 weeks ago and already am looking forward to Thermal.

Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it, given my wedding is in April and Honeymoon in June. Is it really sad that I want to skimp on my honeymoon so I can go to Thermal?

I'd love to meet you in person BNF!

CJ, I won't tell your man! I'd probably do the same thing.

Yes, it would be cool to meet. I'd love to see you go as well. Will you be there the whole time or will you commute on the days you are showing?
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Jade View Post
    Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it, given my wedding is in April and Honeymoon in June. Is it really sad that I want to skimp on my honeymoon so I can go to Thermal?
    My husband and I got married 2.5 years ago and still have yet to go on a honeymoon. I did get a horse trailer out of the deal though.

I WISH I had a horse at Thermal. I have two that would probably benefit immensely from going but alas money is a limiting factor.

I grew up out in Palm Springs/Palm Desert and my family still lives there so usually I come out to hang out at the show. Would love to meet up with anyone!

Let me know when you come out here, I'd love to get together!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Hi

I'm lurked for a while but am now going to join in. I'm planning on going to Thermal this year for weeks 4-6. Hoping to move up to Medium AO Jumpers on one and the other to the Low AO Jumpers. My quick math showed even with shipping should be a lot cheaper then Spruce Meadows!!

I will, I'm trying to qualify for the $100,000 Crossrail classic

I'm still contemplating...I've always wanted to go, and unfortunately had to cancel my plans last year due to a lingering abscess. This year I haven't really decided if it's worth going, since I'd have to leave after my last class on Thursday and thus only be able to show through the weekend :/

Reviving this thread, as entries are due this week!

I ultimately decided to show weeks 2 & 3, but with all this rain, I haven't jumped in a couple of months, and haven't seen a decent sized jump since my last show in October. My youngster has trotted 1 jump since before his layup in June.

Has anyone heard what entries will be like this year? Seems like there is a lot less interest/excitement, but maybe all the west coast COTH'ers are just hibernating.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

ChefJade,

Maybe you should have an early bridle shower and tell people you are registered at HITS.

p.s. I just received an email from PJ. He wants to go do the baby greens, not the ticketed warm-ups. He also mentioned that he'd be ready to move up to the pre-greens after the first week.

Many of the bigger barns made the trek to Florida this year and will be back for the second half, so I think entries might be light the first half. I'm sending my young hunter for the pre-greens and bringing my A/O hunter for the derbys 3 and 6, but neither have jumped for a month with all this rain, so I am a little nervous about being ready as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    ChefJade,

Maybe you should have an early bridle shower and tell people you are registered at HITS.

p.s. I just received an email from PJ. He wants to go do the baby greens, not the ticketed warm-ups. He also mentioned that he'd be ready to move up to the pre-greens after the first week.
    I love it! My fiance, probably not so much.

I could probably just put PJ straight into the derby and he'd jump right around. He doesn't care about anything.

Looks as if we'll be sending only one or two. Most are opting to stay in NorCal for the Northern Winter Classics.

Buddy will probably be there for 2nd half, and Vanessa will stay north.

Sorry I'll miss you B-n-F and Jade!

After going to Thermal the last three years, I'll be taking a break this year. I can't get enough days off work to justify spending the money to go down there (and if I did it would kill the horse show budget for the year! ) The horse I have now is a seasoned campaigner, and unlike the baby I kept taking down there to build a show record this guy has nothing to prove.

Best of luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonandGus View Post
    I will, I'm trying to qualify for the $100,000 Crossrail classic

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post

Oh my gosh ! He's e mailing you too ? He told me that a week in the baby's, one in the pregreen and he's set for the first years.
    I'll be down to watch you guys, all my peeps are staying home to show so the checkbook has money for the fall shows.

Anyone know of any stallions competing in Thermal?

Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum and her husband are doing the entire Thermal circuit this season.

My barn is doing the whole circuit, but I can only get time off work to go for week 4 with a few friends. I haven't heard much about entries and the like, so I'll be curious to see how it compares to last year. But with MMB showing the whole circuit and GHM judging week 4 when I'm there, I imagine it will be busy enough.

I'll be doing the Low Amateur(not necessarily)Owner Jumpers with my Tb again. We may be moving up to the Mediums, but probably not at Thermal as their cross-entry restrictions and the schedule makes it pretty unreasonable to travel between those two divisions. I'm not sure why they ever switched the Modified Jumpers to the Lows to begin with except to make us all pay the nomination fee. One literally cannot do the Low AO Classic if they do any Medium AO division class, which makes no sense whatsoever. I could see if it were no Low AOs and High AOs with the same horse, but that's for another thread...

Good luck COTHers!

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Aww Rory - we miss again - I am coming out week 5 - sigh.

March 1-6 - figure the rain will have stopped by then
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com