The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Default Pomona, Bowdoin, Williams and Colgate riding?

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some information on the riding opportunities and horse culture in the areas around

Pomona
    Bowdoin
    Colgate
    Williams

I'd love to hear about the teams, but also about other stables for boarding and quality training in either eventing or hunter/jumpers. I would like to be riding with a trainer who could train me at least through Prelim for eventing or through the USET classes and mid-level jumpers if it was a H/J barn. Are there trainers of that caliber in the nearby areas of any of these schools?
    I'll still be a junior for the first year and a half of college and I would like to continue on an upward track if at all possible, and while I haven't reached those levels yet, in two years I hope to be at that point.

I've tried to search this stuff, but I sifted through a lot and couldn't really find anything relevant.

Thank you!
    Cacique
    Last edited by Cacique; Jan. 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify that it doesn't have to be a H/J/Event barn, either H/J or Event is fine
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

DD went to Colgate (class of 2008), but only rode for the IHSA team. Beezie and John Madden have a place close by (Cazenovia) but I would guess that they are in FL Jan-March. There are a few others around the area too; hopefully someone local can post.

I went to Colby and am pretty familiar with the Brunswick (Bowdoin) area. While that area of Maine is most central to some of the best trainers in the state, none of the H/J trainers there will be able to continue on the upward track to the USET classes. You may be able to find an eventing trainer in the area, but I'm not familiar with names.

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Quote Originally Posted by and dreaming View Post
    I went to Colby and am pretty familiar with the Brunswick (Bowdoin) area. While that area of Maine is most central to some of the best trainers in the state, none of the H/J trainers there will be able to continue on the upward track to the USET classes. You may be able to find an eventing trainer in the area, but I'm not familiar with names.
    Thanks. I'm also interested in Bates and Colby. I know they are all fairly close to each other, but would I have other opportunities at the other schools?
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

All three schools have IHSA teams, but as far as I know none of them are very intense. Off-campus, Bowdoin is your best choice for riding, with Bates in second. I graduated in 2008, and I'm sure some things have changed since then but I can't imagine there would be a huge turnaround.

I spent my first year at Colby riding at a QH barn with a "go find a horse and tack him up, leave the check in the mailbox" policy. Second and third years riding medium ponies and standardbreds at a place where I would be told I'm "perfect," then ignored for the rest of the lesson. My senior year I gave up.

I grew up in Southeastern PA and had really good instruction and showing opportunities (hunters and equitation), so the adjustment was really hard for me. I'd imagine you would have a similar experience.

Semi-OT, but feel free to PM me if you have any other non-horsey questions about Colby

The barn the Bowdoin and Bates IHSA teams ride at (they ride at the same barn as UNE also) is for sale. The trainer there, while capable of teaching a great foundation, doesn't have the knowledge to properly coach beyond 2'6" (though she doesn't seem to be aware of it) and mentally checked out of the profession years ago. There are some decent barns in the area surrounding Bowdoin and Bates, but none that will be able to coach you to the levels you're aspiring to (though Ginger at Venture Farm would probably be the most qualified in the area around Bowdoin). If you want Prelim-eventing quality training, you either have to go north to the central Maine area or south to NH. Colby is a bit further north. I believe their IHSA team rides with the Beans out of Pendragon Farm. The Beans are really into eventing.

I live about 15 minutes from Bowdoin and grew up at the barn that team rides at. I'm finding this area to be a bit frustrating instructor-wise (beyond dressage). I haul ~2 hours north for jumping instruction.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I live in Maine and second the above assessment of the riding situation here. If you're not bringing your own upper level horse with you, you are not going to advance at all riding in Maine through your college years. It's a shame because this is a lovely place to live and study, but that's just the reality. You sound like a mature young person with high ambitions in the horse world, so my advice would be to explore your other choices. I've heard good things about the riding program at Williams and it is a much MUCH horsier area!