The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Favorite for next US Coach?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • David O'Connor

45 19.23%
  • Jimmy Wofford

179 76.50%
  • Phillip Dutton and Bobby Costello

10 4.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    anonymous101 Guest

Default David O'Connor vs Jimmy Wofford vs Phillip Dutton and Bobby Costello for US Coach??

Whose your pick to the next US team coach?? I'm personally rooting for David O'Connor!!

They all have their good points. When I heard about Phillip, I was "yeah for him". Then DOC entered the picture, and I was like "yeah, even better!" And now with Jimmy...wow...I think we are so fortunate to have such a great selection to chose from. Maybe our failing to medal at the WEG's was a good thing...would we have had such an interest otherwise? I am not sure, I really like DOC and Jimmy for the frontrunners. It will be very interesting. I think that the US will benefit regardless of the outcome.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Default DOC

Anybody but who we got right now!!!!!

OK, realistically- David O Conner,
    former gold medalist, proven track record with Canadians, and incredible track record with USET as a leader.

Any of the applicants now are extremely qualified, but I think David O Conner is the best match and would produce the best results. Plus, I don't want to see Phillip Dutton not ride for our team- he is too good to lose....What an amazing "nerves of steel" rider!

Quote Originally Posted by RSEventer View Post
    Anybody but who we got right now!!!!!

OK, realistically- David O Conner,
    former gold medalist, proven track record with Canadians, and incredible track record with USET as a leader.

Any of the applicants now are extremely qualified, but I think David O Conner is the best match and would produce the best results. Plus, I don't want to see Phillip Dutton not ride for our team- he is too good to lose....What an amazing "nerves of steel" rider!
    You're kidding, right? Do you have any idea what Jimmy has accomplished over his lifetime? Here, have a look. You could be amazed.......
    http://www.useventing.com/media.php?section=bios&id=437

ps O'ConnOr
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Wofford!

Woohoo!
    Aelfleah Farm, Scurry, Texas
    BLUE STAR Arabians and
    Arabian-influenced Sportponies
    www.aelfleahfarm.com

anonymous101 Guest

My only problem with jimmy is that he rode during the long format days, and never rode in a short format. Has his training methods evolved enough to stand up to today's tough dressage in the eventing world??

There is NO question in my mind - definitely Jimmy!

Sorry, but if David was coach, not much would change. We obviously need a change.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

anonymous101 Guest

Jimmy led the Canadians to a not so victorious Olympics, but David brought them to a team silver in 2 years at the WEG!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous101 View Post
    My only problem with jimmy is that he rode during the long format days, and never rode in a short format. Has his training methods evolved enough to stand up to today's tough dressage in the eventing world??

Yes...his training methods have evolved. Also interesting that most of the top riders today in the "short" format....were riders who came up through his program....and were riders competitive in the long format.

honestly....yes the sport is different. But good horsemanship and training is still needed.....and how you become sucessful really isn't any different. To talk with riders who were competitive in both formats....they really don't train much differently. Would love to see the "listed riders" do a few Hell weeks with Jimmy

Jimmy hasn't been in a cave all this time. He has still been coaching and at just about every major event. He knows the sport, knows the riders and horses and knows what it takes to get and be successful at the top.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous101 View Post
    Jimmy led the Canadians to a not so victorious Olympics, but David brought them to a team silver in 2 years at the WEG!

I wouldn't compare the two based just on that..... And part of the reason for the Canadians success at WEG....was the failure by the USA Team. The Canadians were/are a LONG way off from posing any sort of challenge to the British.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Should we have them mud wrestle, then?

Maybe throw on some bikinis and have a good ole fashioned jello wrestling competition?

People, the Chef is not a trainer. That left 20 years ago. The Chef is a man or woman that can move the sport where it needs to go, and pull the team together. And yes, I believe that Mr. Wofford is the best for the job. He didn't just train well, he rode really well. He also was as I remember the head of the old AHSA. He has it all. The ability, office ability, the international ability. He has it all. Hope that you go and reveal all of who he has been and who he has taught. Beats your last Chef :-)
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Wofford, no doubt about it he's all that and a can of beans

Default A vote for JCW

Jimmy will provide technical expertise; inspiration; motivation; discipline; humor; and a work ethic second to none. If you are not familiar with his coaching style, go to youtube and view posts from folks who have taken a clinic, or even better, find a clinic and attend in person (audit or ride).

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I wouldn't compare the two based just on that..... And part of the reason for the Canadians success at WEG....was the failure by the USA Team. The Canadians were/are a LONG way off from posing any sort of challenge to the British.
    Great point.
    #teamwofford

I know who I prefer but...

If I were an actual decision-maker, I wouldn't make a decision until I heard their 'pitches' or whatever you call it in the world of sports. Surely, they must have specific ideas and plans for how the program should be run, and I'd want to give every candidate an open hearing, regardless of what I thought of their established coaching style.

I'd really like to see some creativity in this job. We need our Rinus Michels, someone who can develop the US eventing equivalent of 'Total Football.'

('Total Football' was the name given to the brilliant style of play Michels developed at Ajax and Holland's national team in the 70s. In total football, any player can take over the position of another player at any given time under any conditions. It's all about fluidity, readiness, adaptability and technical proficiency. And it turned a small country into a world powerhouse.)

I think that Jimmy would be able to give the most effort and time to the position, and as he said, ¨Be the first fulltime Chef that the USEF has had¨. Plus in Phillip´s press release, he said that if he got the position, he would still plan on competing and he also has a young family, so although I have no doubt that he would be committed to being Chef, I don´t believe that he is in a position to give as much effort and time to the position as Jimmy. And David also seems to still be actively riding and training lots of students and busy with OCET. I feel that Jimmy would set a strong example of what the USEF needs in a coach, and then way in the future either Phillip or David would be at their prime to follow in Jimmy´s footsteps. All 3 canidates are good coaches, no question about that. But which one has the best vision and plan for how to restructure the current progam of how to develop/support horses and riders? I could be wrong about this, but I feel that David might do more of the same with a few minor tweaks to the system, while Jimmy would devise and execute a completely new program for the USET that would ¨help the sport reach new heights¨. And I have no idea what Phillip would do.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

I'd really like to see some creativity in this job. We need our Rinus Michels, someone who can develop the US eventing equivalent of 'Total Football.'

('Total Football' was the name given to the brilliant style of play Michels developed at Ajax and Holland's national team in the 70s. In total football, any player can take over the position of another player at any given time under any conditions. It's all about fluidity, readiness, adaptability and technical proficiency. And it turned a small country into a world powerhouse.)
    Brilliant analogy. I am fascinated by what the Kiwi's have done by naming their 2012 short list and shuffling those who are not already there off to Europe. Focused energy and support behind the key players.

There are a million reasons why this sort of move would cause the US eventing world to have collective kittens, and a million and one reasons why it might fail for the Kiwis, but you have got to admire them trying something so bold.

It seems like the three options that are public give the USEA a pretty great group of potential candidates. I'm waiting to see who else pops up on the list before the closing date.

Jimmy is one of the most adaptable people on this planet. I was invited to walk with him at Rolex when a friend of mine was riding and I can tell you he totally gets the short format.

He brings a wealth of knowlege and a vast array of experience, second to none. His experience with all formats whether on the ground or in the saddle is unequaled, as is his acerbic sense of humor.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Agree. Coach not a trainer.
    Disagree. Old president of AHSA -- a disaster which he freely admits.
    Agree. Canadian result at WEG, failure of US, not competitive to British, but the horses were totally prepared and selection was flawless.
    Disagree. Full time vs. full time rider, no difference to the time and attention paid to the sport. Both live it and breathe it.
    Agree. Gotta hear the "pitches". Need to see the programs the candidates have outlined -- in detail. I'm so curious I could burst waiting to read these!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com