The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fence long format

Hi,

I was wondering why the Fence June long format event was cancelled. Looking at the omnibus today, it leaves few T3D events available in the south east ( Heart of the Carolinas is an option- but it is the same weekend as Rolex, which is a bummer) otherwise next options are MT, VT, KS, AZ or waiting until the fall. Did the FL horse park ever run a T3D?

TIA!

There's one first weekend in Indiana in June, a T3D

I'm so bummed!!! I was totally going to do it too!!!

Indiana is SOOOOOOO Far for some of us.

Though I will say KY's was FANTASTIC!!!!!

I think Fence was one of the sparsely attended T3DE's last year....maybe they decided it wasn't worth the financial commitment.

I was bummed as well. There weren't a lot of entries last year, but it was a fantastic opportunity to see a long format without driving far from home! And, I was teaching an equine class for a local community college (a general, "here's everything to do with horses!" kind of class for beginners) at the time, and we went to see it (had friends doing the horse trials that ran that weekend, too)...watched the vet checks, walked around xc, then had great views of the steeplechase....good stuff. Bummer that it wasn't worth the expense...

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    I was bummed as well. There weren't a lot of entries last year, but it was a fantastic opportunity to see a long format without driving far from home! And, I was teaching an equine class for a local community college (a general, "here's everything to do with horses!" kind of class for beginners) at the time, and we went to see it (had friends doing the horse trials that ran that weekend, too)...watched the vet checks, walked around xc, then had great views of the steeplechase....good stuff. Bummer that it wasn't worth the expense...
    Sad but true, it might not be that it is not worth the expense, but rather that the rest of the show can't afford to subsidize a money losing proposition. Many events run too close the the financial edge to subsidize a T3DE (or a P3DE) if they do not get sufficient interest in the form of entries.

Default New Date

I wish they had tried the June date though. I think it may have been better attended.

Last year's date was early April. That may have been pushing people who need qualifications, time to get their ponies fit, etc.

I agree with EC! I got my final qualifying ride at FENCE running regular Training and would have done it in a heartbeat instead if the rules hadn't just changed requiring that 4th as opposed to letting the officials decide. Was really hoping to do it this year.

Wonder if we could convince them to reinstate it?!

The Beautiful Thermal Belt of Upstate Carolina!

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    Wonder if we could convince them to reinstate it?!
    Highly unlikely... It came down to the fact that the cost of conducting and prepping all of the grounds for this one division far outweighed the revenues from the small number of entries they got for it. There is also a break-even number of overall entries for this horse trial to begin with, and that was not even met. The new management just couldn't justify having it again.

For the June show, while that one shows cancelled on the USEA site, it is still going to be held as a regular unrecognized trials, though it is undetermined as of now if it will be held over one or two days.

Thanks Mark. Such a shame... it really is SUCH a nice place to show.... especially the 3 day!

Bummer about it being unrec. now, but I understand....

I was planning on it too, assuming I qualified :/

I was planning on this one too! So bummed they cancelled it...guess I will have to wait until KY! :-(