The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Horseback riding vacations

My mom, her riding buddy and myself were thinking of going some place to do a horse back riding vacation. I got the idea from the other poster who posted request for Ireland vacations, however my mother's friend has already been there so we are looking somewhere else.

We are looking for someplace where the plane tickets won't cost a ton, and would be flying out of NYC. We looked into Greece, but plane tickets would cost the same as the trip itself there, and Spain is also out since my mom and her friend went with other friends and did a riding vacation at a school there. We also want to get out of the US, or probably the Americas in general as we all have traveled a bit here.

Any other ideas? My mom and I jump, her friend does dressage. We would prefer something where my mom and I can jump but her friend doesn't have to. I really want something that is more like a trek from place to place rather than a vacation where we ride in a ring and take lessons. I have my own horse here to do that.

Anyone been anywhere good? Or heard of anything fun?

Thumbs up Scottish Highlands

The Scottish Highlands!!! I've ridden in Ireland twice, and enjoyed my trip to Scotland even better than either of those Irish trips! Check out this link-

http://www.brenfield.co.uk/

Just noted that Brenfield is closed due to retirement. I am sure there are lots of other places--it is the scenery and people that are fantastic.
    You might find something here-

http://www.localriding.com/scottish-...-holidays.html
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Have you considered a ride from inn to inn through the fablously beautiful Gaspe Region of Quebec? I and some friends did that ride a couple of years ago in the the early fall and it was glorious! Great horses, beautiful country, a French guide and scrumptious food.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Have you considered a ride from inn to inn through the fablously beautiful Gaspe Region of Quebec? I and some friends did that ride a couple of years ago in the the early fall and it was glorious! Great horses, beautiful country, a French guide and scrumptious food.
    Do you remember where you went? Was it hunt seat or western? The very quick Google search that i did only returned rides that seemed to be more beginner with a big western saddle for something for them to hold on to (note I did a VERY quick search)

Quebec isn't too far away, so this could be perfect!

We did the ride through Equitours, but I just went to their website to get the link for you and it was no longer listed, so I emailed our guide from the trip, Pierre, and learned that he has retired and is no longer doing the trip. So sad, because it was wonderful.

Go to www.equitours.com and look at the rides they offer all over the world. I have done many of them and have always had a great time. They give good descripions of the rides and the riding ability needed for them. They also list a daily itinerary so you can know what to expect.

They have another ride listed in Quebec, the St. Lawrence river ride. It lists it as Western tack and ability as novice to intermediate, so it might not be as high energy as you like, but you could call and see if you can book on a date when they have more experienced riders - or start talking to your friends and put together a trip to fill a week with just your own people. They say they will run with from minimum of 2 and maximum of 8 riders.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

check out www.hiddentrails.com

I think there are a ton of places that would be interesting. France, for one would be amazing (there is a tour that goes through Provence, also one that goes through the Loire Valley). Latin America also has a lot of tours too, like Argentina, Brazil, etc.

A friend of mine did the PJrovence ride in France and loved it. Remember though sometimes it's just as much to fly across country as it is to Europe and often you can get good air deals... Also if your vacation plans are somewhat flexible - traveling to Europe during July August is more expensive. If you can go earlier or in September (also a great time) the it's a little less expensive...

If I were you, I would plan to go to Ireland last week in September (or close to the last week) plan to stay through the last weekend or first weekend in September so you can go to the Ballinasloe Horse Fair.. .It's an amazing experience.. and you really cannot describe what you see and experience suffice to say the entire town is horseflesh - just standing around.. show going on all kinds of craziness...

Ian Stark told me about a castle in Scotland that sounded like a wonderful place to vacation. I thought I had it bookmarked but can't locate it, sorry, but he teaches clinics there occasionally. I'll keep trying to figure out the name since I want to go there someday.