The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Advice on Temporary Fence

I need to split up my two very large paddocks in order to give parts of them some rest. I bought a new mare who is in one side and the two old geldings are on the other side. There is a lot of fence pacing going on and with it goopy red clay mud.

I would like to get them away from that fence line for awhile so it can dry out. I am thinking if I put up some sort of electric fence in one of the paddocks I can keep them split apart and possibly if they are in smaller spaces where they are always closer to each other there will be less pacing.

My vet said something to me like "put up a wire" but is it really that easy? Will a wire contain horses like that? I get so worried that someone is going to get hurt. And my horses are all pasture fence jumpers. I bought this cute litle app.qh mare and everyone says to me, "Oh, can she jump?". Well, without me on her back she can lope to a 4' fence and jump it without much effort.

Anyhow, I have googled this I am not finding an answer that my brain can quite comprehend. I can tell you that I have a bunch of polytape and those 4' step in posts. I am worried though that they will be too low.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Don't use wire!

Ramm Fence used to sell a kit for just your kind of project. I use it when the stall rest has gotten to be too long and people are getting nutty! I make a 12x12 'stall' inside my 20x20 infirmary paddock. The kit comes with 7' tall posts, electric tape (which I love-my whole farm is done up in it), gate handles, etc etc, all in a nice drawstring-top bag. You can easily pound the stakes into the ground. I just wrap the tape around the post instead of getting fancy with the attachment thingies and then staple the tape onto the existing electric fence. Works a charm. I just use 2 strands, one above knees, one above chest levels. My boys know what a zap feels like and don't test it.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You can get 6, 7 and 8 ft fiberglass posts...round and about as big as a marking pen....if your ground is damp they push in pretty easily. Then you could do a three strand fence...one about knee high, one at mid chest and one at withers level. There is also a really nice poly tape at HorseGuard fencing that uses a bi-polar design so doesn't need ground rods. And that tape is thicker/stiffer so doesn't blow around in the wind, comes in colors and has a warranty on it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a try with the 6 ft posts.