The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

apollosowner Guest

Default What bit would work?????

I have my horse on a normal loose ring snaffle and he isn't fond of going slow. He has a soft mouth, but he braces his jaw against the bit even after I changed from an eggbut to a loose ring. He braces and leans against the bit so that it is very difficult to slow him down. When he is board he also likes to grind the bit with his back teeth. I was thinking about changing to a waterford bit. Do you think that would help. Suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by apollosowner View Post
    ... He has a soft mouth, but he braces his jaw against the bit ...I was thinking about changing to a waterford bit. Do you think that would help. Suggestions.
    That was my first thought. And check his teeth.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Mine grinds his teeth but with his Mikmar, he has a roller and it seems to keep him from grinding. The leverage also prevents pulling. We use a short-shank Mikmar with a solid mouth, he goes much more relaxed with it.
    For a mild puller, I like the Waterford but I don't have much triceps strength due to a neck accident so any confirmed pulled gets a leverage bit or some type of gag.

I'd like to hear how you like the waterford. I had a mare, years ago, who was similar to your horse (minus the grinding.) Switched her to a waterford and she was GREAT!

I have my horse on a normal loose ring snaffle and he isn't fond of going slow. He has a soft mouth, but he braces his jaw against the bit even after I changed from an eggbut to a loose ring. He braces and leans against the bit so that it is very difficult to slow him down. When he is board he also likes to grind the bit with his back teeth. I was thinking about changing to a waterford bit. Do you think that would help. Suggestions.
    Why not go back to basics and get this horse to yeild to the bit? He should seek contact. Start some spirals in and out at the trot and get him to move off your inside leg, and soften through the neck and poll. Putting a stronger bit in his mouth may just send him over the roof and have the bracing and leaning worse. He needs to respect your hands...BASICS...BASICS....BASICS.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on
    Skip's Passionate Gal "Hannah"- 2003 AQHA Mare
    Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boY

I guess I would like to see a video of you riding him on the bit to see if it is the bit - your hands or maybe he is stressed about something - so then it could be a matter of training?

The grinding - if not a dental issue - is usually a big indication that the horse needs to go back to basics - rider needs to work on connection and horse needs to be schooled on connection.

apollosowner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joannie Jumper View Post
    I guess I would like to see a video of you riding him on the bit to see if it is the bit - your hands or maybe he is stressed about something - so then it could be a matter of training?

The grinding - if not a dental issue - is usually a big indication that the horse needs to go back to basics - rider needs to work on connection and horse needs to be schooled on connection.
    He grinds his teeth out of boredom. Thats the only time he does it. (Being tied for a while, Too much flatwork, ect.) Plus, we've had his teeth checked. I've had my trainer watch me and I have soft hands. He's a very laid back horse and doesn't get stressed easily. I just think he is bracing against the bit.

A waterford is a nice bit for one that "grabs" bit or "leans" on bit. Like anything else, however, it can be misapplied. One needs to be careful, especially with a soft-mouthed horse, that the horse doesn't curl around the bit or get behind the bridle. I would make sure to keep the horse in front of your leg, keep hands soft, and keep encouraging the horse to seek contact as he comes through from behind...all really important when coming to a jump, going across the jump, and organizing after the jump. Good luck hope it works.

He grinds his teeth out of boredom. Thats the only time he does it. (Being tied for a while, Too much flatwork, ect.) Plus, we've had his teeth checked. I've had my trainer watch me and I have soft hands. He's a very laid back horse and doesn't get stressed easily. I just think he is bracing against the bit.
    If he really is just bracing, it's a training issue. And not one that will be solved with a sharper bit. If he is disrespectful in one bit, it's only a matter of time before he'll be disrespectful in the next bit.

Try doing more lateral work.

I've got a waterford for my guy right now and it was the only bit he seemed to like. I'd tried happy mouths, loose rings, dees, ect. He has a really soft (and small) mouth and would get fussy with too much bit, but he also liked to pull his head out and down. The waterford is soft enough that he's happy, but i still have the control i need.

apollosowner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Covergirl15 View Post
    I've got a waterford for my guy right now and it was the only bit he seemed to like. I'd tried happy mouths, loose rings, dees, ect. He has a really soft (and small) mouth and would get fussy with too much bit, but he also liked to pull his head out and down. The waterford is soft enough that he's happy, but i still have the control i need.
    I have a feeling it will work on him.

It might work on him for a time, but I'm with the camp saying it's a training issue. You shouldn't be needing a strong bit to slow him down, nor should he be bracing like that if he's not been taught to properly use his back and seek the bit.

Have you tried a good, strong half-halt to back him up when he's done this? Considering you use seat & thigh for this, versus hands, it should tell you whether he's just being rude out of boredom, or if he's got a big hole in his training.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    If he really is just bracing, it's a training issue. And not one that will be solved with a sharper bit. If he is disrespectful in one bit, it's only a matter of time before he'll be disrespectful in the next bit.

Try doing more lateral work.
    Every kid I've seen recently with horses that were leaning and blowing through aids was perching, and their balance was too far forward for the horse to redistribute their weight back on to their hind end.
    Energy travels down the back of you, eyes up, breathe out your heels, and ask for the horse to come back to you starting with your inside leg.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I primarily ride dressage, but my second-level mare is the master of lenaing. She will lean on anything. Even a waterford. She will lean into an elevator, a pelham, or a double. Sure I get a nice soft ride the first few times after I've switched into the double, but given enough time she will lean on it too. She also will lean into a mullen, then get upset about the tongue pressure, and start shaking her head and then put her tongue over the bit. Her teeth have been done by a very top dentist, and I saw and felt them afterwards. Didn't fix the leaning.

What has helped is not giving her anything to brace against. If the horse is pulling, you're giving him somethign to pull against. So stop pulling back. Either use small movements of the fingers on the inside rein to soften the horse, or if that doesn't work, try lifting your hands up, but don't give the horse something to lean against and he won't be able to brace on the bit and ignore you.

And the psoter who mentioned sitting up is correct. If you're sitting up and not using your hands and stirrups for support, it's easier to help the horse be soft.

my horse had the same kind of problem, she goes in a waterford now and seems like a completely different horse. that's definitely my suggestion!

My big 2000 lb - 18 hand horse leans on a double twisted wire. So I thought I was doomed until I put a mullen mouth pelham... he's awesome. And he is trained quite well.....

Yes I would say you can consider training and that's definately a factor - but I truly believe horses like certain bits because of past wear and tear of their mouths (other riders damage?), size of mouth, shape of mouth etc...

I believe in trying bits until something works.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

apollosowner Guest

I went ahead and bought one and have been riding him in it for three weeks. HE LOVES IT!! It has fixed all his issues. He's stopped leaning and has been very respectful. He doesn't grind his teeth anymore either.