The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse on 4 mos stall rest got hind leg stuck all the way thru stall bars to gaskin!

Oh, what an ordeal today! I was supposed to be prepping a sales horse - people are flying in tomorrow. So much for that!! The vets said that a traumatic injury that occurred her today is of the sort that usually ends with broken bones . . . . .

I had just given her 3cc ace because I was taking her friend away and out of the barn. This is the horse that I have written about needing to be on stall rest for 4 months (we were just at 3 months 1.5 weeks today), just got her leg trapped all the way through the bars of her stall today! She is only about 15.1 right now, and the bars are 4' off the ground - you can imagine how contorted her hind leg was. At first she was caught on the cannon. Then it was the hock, and finally she was so stuck, it was to the gaskin! The would struggle, then rest, try to lay down, struggle some more. I kept waiting to hear something break!

I gave her .07 Dormosadan, which calmed her a bit. Two friends, two strong men, two vets and their assistant later, we were assessing the situation. However, not after waiting what seemed like an eternity, literally had to hold the filly up on her feet.

The vets were pretty much in shock about the situation and how we could rectify it, as we all were. The dividers are heavy duty and well made. This filly has pretty big feet, so it was amazing she got her hoof through. Vets gave more drugs. The guys saws-alled 4 bars out. They then had a hard time lifting her up and over the metal tubing base of the bars.

Her laceration required stitches. We took some xrays and there are no apparent fractures (not out of the woods; these could become evident in several days). Her hock is now swelling. This might be because the hock is above the bandage, the hock had pressure on it from the base of the bars, etc. Time will tell as to what the outcome of this injury is. Hopefully the damage is negatory, or at least minimal!

I have never in my entire life of horses been through something like that, and I hope I never do again! That was one scarey situation!! The vets really could not believe we were so lucky, and so was the filly. I am giving thanks to The One above!

So the wall is solid up to 4' and then bars above that? 15.1 filly puts a back leg up there and then slides it through all the way to the gaskin?

When she lies down to take a break from struggling, she's not quite on the ground, but hanging down from the wall? Do I have this right?

WTF?!?

Sigh.... on your behalf.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Doesn't that scare you to death? The horse was really lucky. And yes, I know exactly what you mean, unfortunately.

In early Sept. I had my horse in the barnyard eating grass while I changed his waters in his stall. I heard a big metal clang and ran out, thinking a pony in front paddock had kicked at him thru the metal farm gate, the kind with 5 metal big pipe bars across. When I ran out, I found Cloudy with his entire hind end off of the ground, the right leg all the way thru the top 2 bars (4 ft or more) off of the ground, his left hind leg also thru there. I expected to find his right leg broken, but it was just wedged sideways thru the top 2 rungs of the gate, sideways, but he stayed calm and stood still. The pony fortunately did not bite his big butt hanging over the gate. i ran back to barn and got my cell and called BO in house to come help me, as every time I tried to pull his right leg out of the gate, his left hoof pushed me in the stomach, pushing me away from him. So BO can out, pushed his right leg thru the gate, he gimped around for a while, and then quit limping.. Scared me to death. Of course it scared him also and he shook and colicked, so I spent the day at the barn with a stressed out, scared and trembling horse.
    I just knew I was going to have to call the vet to put him down as I expected to find that leg broken off, but he only ended up with a few scratches high up on that leg.. So he has used up one of his 9 lives or however many horses. have. I have never seen a 16.2 WB with his entired rear end hung up in a gate. And never want to see that again.

Mine only got her hind leg through to just past the fetlock. Then managed to pull it out and we found her down in the stall, covered in blood, after coming home from DAD. Support bandages on both legs for quite a while. She's fine now. New boarding place for her due to other circumstances. Barn was still being designed. They put very strong grill work in for her stall front instead of bars. I think I would only use strong grills in future.

So sorry for your guy. Hope he has a full recovery!
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

OMG ...

These are the times you wish you had a camera in the stall and could have played it back again and again to see what the Hell she got up to, to get herself into such a predicament in such a short space of time

Thank God you were there and able to summon help

Jingles that she is going to be okay ...

Had a similar incident w/ a client's horse years ago.
    The fire dept used the jaws to spread the bars after I sedated the horse heavily, stuffed ears, and blindfolded.

It does age you some, doesn't it?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Wow. I have heard of horses doing that before. Thank goodness you had a better result. Jingles. I bet you needed some chocolate/wine therapy after that.

Holy criminy Christmas! Here's to hoping little mare pulls through scotch-free!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    It does age you some, doesn't it?
    And the Understatement of the Week award goes to ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

My sig, just sayin'

And once again I am left to wonder how long it would take for horses to become extinct after we disappeared from the planet. One week? Maybe two?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I've had a gelding do that.......didn't see it but saw the bars bent and his hock swollen so I am assuming that he kicked the bars and his leg went through up to his hock.......I think it was a kick in and out.....he didn't actually get hung up......he recovered with no problems.

Hope your horse makes a full recovery.

Dalemma

How scary! Hope she is OK.

We had a horse come to our barn that had been living at a barn with a section of chain link fence. He was a gelding, but still acted a little studdish with mares, and apparently used to "chest" the chain link, to knock it down and get in to a pasture with mares.

Well, he was turned out the 2nd day at our facility in a paddock with pipe rail fencing. It was 4 rail. I guess the mares in the next paddock, moved away from him, so he walked calmly to th eother side of his paddock (away from mares), then ran at the pipe rail fence and chested it intentionally. The top rail broke loose from it's weld, and he got his body stuck between the pipe rails. He was woven between the rails with the backs of his hind legs resting on the bottom rail of the fencing, so he was completely off the ground.

They finally got him loose after using a tractor and chain to pull the fencing that was broken, away from his body, and getting him to put hus back legs back on the ground. Then he was just half on one side and half on the other side of the fence . He finally scrambled free.

We thought for sure he was going to have major damage. Nope. A couple of little scrapes...never unsound. Amazing.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    And once again I am left to wonder how long it would take for horses to become extinct after we disappeared from the planet. One week? Maybe two?
    No, just all these coddled things that we keep perpetuating will disappear, and the hardy will survive... survival of the fittest, you know.

So sorry to hear about the OP's experience -- I've heard of this happening and never witnessed it -- I hope the horse comes out of this okay. Once again proof that stall rest sucks!

I'd be curious, too, how far apart the bars are in that stall? I'm moving my horses this week to a new barn, and I looked at the brand new stall fronts and cringed as I think the gaps look big. Now I'm going to be worried about something similar happening to my 15.2 leaper...

I hope and pray she will be o.k. That is one of the worst things to watch , when you can do absolutely nothing.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    No, just all these coddled things that we keep perpetuating will disappear, and the hardy will survive... survival of the fittest, you know.
    I used to believe that, now I just think we interfered with their inevitable fate. Survival would be a fluke.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

One BO I worked for, after seeing several colts with legs stuck in bar grills, would never again send a colt to a race track where the stalls had grills.
    Our barn had solid wood sides and the new barn we built later had solid bottoms and expanded metal tops.

While those kinds of accidents are rare, why see how long we are lucky?
    Better avoid those kinds of stalls, if you can do so.

I know someone that added chain link fence to grill stall divisions where the bars were too far apart.
    The down side, some horses learned to run their teeth along the chain link when nervous, like right before feeding.

I agree, horses are an accident waiting to happen.

I hope the OP's filly will be fine soon.

Oh wow, how scary with the metal bars! I had a very similar experience in November with my mare. She disliked her neighbor mare very much and kicked at her through the middle stall wall, which is just 2x10 boards with a small gap(less than 2") in between. She must have kicked at just the right angle for her hoof to slide completely through between the top two boards, which are about 4-4.5' off the ground. I found her when I went to feed in the morning, lord knows how long she had been like that! She had been walking from side to side, sliding her leg between the boards, so there was blood dripping down the wall! I found the Sawzall and a fresh battery and cut her free, but I was sure she had broken something. She didn't break anything, but the wound is still healing(though much smaller) and she is not sound. Still a lot of swelling from the hock down. She is due to foal in April, so she will have a lot more time off, hopefully she will at least be sound enough to walk around on eventually.
    Some of the lovely pics early on: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...484&aid=174113

Oh, and did I mention the mare she hated so much was leaving THAT day! Uggh! Stalls are being revamped with plywood lining the inside of the board walls, and middle wall will be coming down shortly to make a foaling stall anyway. And now she has a quiet gelding neighbor that does not bother her majesty.

Hope your horse has a better recovery than my mare.
    Brandi
    "A horseman or horsewoman must have only one thing (and each in his own way): a passionate, obsessive love for the horse. Nothing more." George H. Morris

Jingles to your mare. I swear, horses were born to commit suicide.

My gelding got cast upside down recently (he's on Month 10 of stall rest) and his hooves were dangerously close to those stall bars. Same setup as yours. It made me think about having a finer mesh to line it. But then the horses would find other creative ways to main and kill themselves.

You must have a few new grey hairs, huh?

So scary! I'll be sending jingles for her full recovery, and your mental recovery too!!

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    The pony fortunately did not bite his big butt hanging over the gate.

Yeah, but have you noticed that horses aren't stupid when they recognize a crisis.... happening to someone else?

They pull up a chair and watch.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat