The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Transportation in Oklahoma is Definitely Different

This is how you save money by not buying a trailer to transport your horse. When they pass the truck you get a clear view of the mini being transported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1PHH1HPK8
    Last edited by Mike Matson; Jan. 28, 2011 at 01:38 AM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Mini looks happy, secured well, has hay to nibble. Driver is giving him an OK ride, not moving much.

Sides are a good height, he would have to work to get out.

So I would think this a nice way to move a good hauling mini. Not my first choice, but mini is NOT being abused.

I'd be a little worried that he could get a hoof through the square grating but he is not being abused in any way.

Mini needs a fly mask!

the sad thing is if it was a sheep no one could care less- the mini is not abused, he is fine...actually looks like he might even be enjoying the ride, lol!

When we first moved to CA there was a Saddlebred trainer here with a big lesson string who used to haul his horses in open stake bed trucks - head to tail crosswise. I don't know how many he could stuff in, but it was a bunch.

What a fatty! So cute.

Could it go bad? Sure. But so can a ride in a regular trailer too.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Back in the day ... (a long LONG time ago) as driving teenagers my best friend and I were at a stable when we overheard that a pony was being picked up by the local meat dealer that afternoon. Being teenagers we pleaded with the owner to give him to us. He did. The one catch was we had to move him that minute. ....... Necessity being the mother of invention we removed the back seat from `her` mothers new Chrysler NewYorker and loaded him up for the trip back to `my` house.

He road with his head out the window calling to whoever would listen. Needless to say we got a lot of odd looks. Thank God he never pooped.

We did break him to pull a pony cart and had a great summer with the little dude before he moved onto a better future.
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

I'm borrowing a Mini and tomorrow I pick him up. All I have to move him in is my 3 horse goose neck set up for big TBs. Will the little guy be safe in there? Do I leave him loose to set himself up or build him a 'stall' of shavings bags or tie him or WHAT?? Should I stuff him into the back seat of my F350? Or into the back of my Prius? Help!!

The guy in the movie seems pretty content-I would deff put him in a fly mask though.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I dunno, doesn't seem that much different than when horses used to be hauled in truck beds, ala Brokeback Mountain.

My uncle took this photo in Egypt a few years back - I consider this dangerous horse hauling.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/...6e9aa059_z.jpg

LOL, when I was in college in KY horses were trained to jump into the bed of a pickup truck and were often hauled that way.

When I rode in Ireland the horses were hauled like this
    http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp32...63507759147090
    http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp32...64127599998674
    Good thing it wasn't raining!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I haul my pigs in something similar.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

When I first moved to the SW, I was given a 4 yr old Palamino QH mare. I was told she would NOT load. The guy that owned her had to lead her 3 miles to his barn, from the bed of a pickup truck, while someone else drove.

So the day came that I wanted to take her to a show, and the only trailer available for me to use was a single horse that had 5 foot sides, and no overhead cover. I was only going about a mile and a half through town, so I got her to load, and took her down there. She seemed to LOVE it. Was looking at everything when I stopped at traffic lights.

After that, whenever I would lead her past the trailer, she would drag me over there to try to get in. I borrowed a regular 2 horse trailer after that, and took about 10 min to load .After that. she'd do the same about trying to drag me over to it to go for a ride.

I live in Tulsa, OK and when I saw the video, I was actually surprised it wasn't worse... About 3 months ago I saw a truck hauling a load of junk (old washer/dryer, mattress, buckets of junk, etc), oh ya and a mini! The poor thing had about 3'x3' of space and the trailer was a true flat bed- no side walls. The only funny thing about it was the pony's expression. It was an "I am kind of this junk pile" look on his face. It truly was the most absurd thing I have ever seen.

Not so long ago, every morning I met on the road, an old fella with his fully tacked up quarter horse in his pickup bed untied, on his way to check out his cows. The bed had railings around the sides and the QH seemed to enjoy his head in the breeze.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I think his weight is more of an issue than the chosen hauling method.