The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue roan warmbloods or TB's?

I saw the most GORGEOUS colored blue roan I'd ever seen at a twh farm. incredible.

Are there any blue roan warmbloods? Or TB's? I know qh's, twh's, welsh, draft, have this color, but I'm talking warmblood OR TB.

Yep, there is a line of blue roan Trakehners Bukephalos was one. Salome was another. Sylver (Silver?) another.

I'll butcher this spelling I'm sure, but I think it's the Instefer line.

http://www.trakehner-roans.de/index.html

Not translated, unfortunately

As for the TBs - for all intents and purposes, no. But, Catch A Bird, an Australian TB, has produced what appear to be true Roan offspring, though he himself presents as Brindle.

Does Bukephalos have any roan daughters? Looks like he was in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Does Bukephalos have any roan daughters? Looks like he was in Canada.
    Look at the farm site:
    galtenfarms.tripod.com

I did and didn't see any.

Gwen owns a mare http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com/gftkmares.html named Salome

She had a stallion prospect but I *think* he didn't pass his approvals. I'm not sure what happend to him
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I have a Trakehner mare who has Bukephalos in her dam line. Also Catch a Bird way back in her pedigree.

Roan is rare in WBs. I'd love to get a blue roan.

I've seen some beautiful blue roan Quarter Horses, but not warmbloods. I have a KWPN Keur Sport mare who is a strawberry roan (chestnut). She has the chestnut mask, legs, mane and tail and her body color varies from pinkish-lavender to almost white depending on the season. I so wanted her daughter to be roan, but ended up with a plain bay. Maude is striking in her coloring and I've not seen another like her. I had competed her to PSG, but I hack her in western tack. You wouldn't believe how many people want to argue that she has QH in her somewhere when they see her wearing that big ole western saddle.

I have also seen blue roan Connemaras
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Maude,
    Does your mare's pedigree include Gelderlanders?

Oakstable, Yes, Maude (Limaude II) is 1/2 gelders, 1/4 TB and 1/4 dutch. She is by Cabochon who was chestnut. Her dam Limaude was "gray born bay" according to my mare's papers. In researching roaning, I have read that the roan gene is dominant if it is passed on. I've also read that a horse can be roan, but if it is gray you don't know it because the gray overshadows the roaning. A roan also has to have 1 roan parent. Maude is the 13th and last foal (all fillies) out of Limaude (1/2 gelders, 1/2 TB). I have a printout of her other 12 sisters and there is another roan but it is bay. Very cool to have a horse that is such a beautiful color and who has wonderful conformation. I wish I had the money to breed her again. Maybe she would give me that roan this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maude View Post
    I've seen some beautiful blue roan Quarter Horses, but not warmbloods. I have a KWPN Keur Sport mare who is a strawberry roan (chestnut). She has the chestnut mask, legs, mane and tail and her body color varies from pinkish-lavender to almost white depending on the season.
    You aren't allowed to post this and not post a picture.

What are her bloodlines? Can you post a link to that or type them out?

Maybe the gelderlander is the key.

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_36833.html

The roan pattern is also to be found occasionally through the approved stallion El Rosso. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Warmblood

Pic of El Rosso: http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000003492
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Jan. 28, 2011 at 08:08 PM.

I love, love blue roans. I rescued a TB /Perch cross 4 yr old stallion a few years back. I am going to try and find some pics as his color and type were really breathtaking.

I saw a advertised Freestyle offspring once that was said to be roan, but I can't find that add.

Freestyle is rabicano and has had several rabicano offspring. I wouldn't be surprised if the rabicano was making it look roan.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Maybe the gelderlander is the key.

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_36833.html

The roan pattern is also to be found occasionally through the approved stallion El Rosso. source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Warmblood

Pic of El Rosso: http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000003492

From a QH perspective the photo of the mare for sale above looks more like a sabino type roaning than "roan" such as the QH and Paint have....she also has chin white and what appears to be sabino type leg markings.

The photo of El Rosso also looks like a sabino type frosting rather than the "true roan" that is a dominant gene. If his was a true roan gene it should show up more often than "occasionally"....it should, over the long term, show up in approx 50% of his foals.

Also...are the parents of either of these horses roan as well? If not then it is not a true "roan" gene but rather sabino most likely. Roan horses have to have a roan parent.

What would be required to create a blue roan and red roan horse with flaxen manes and tails?

El Rosso looks brindle! And Roan! He may be a chimera brindle who is also roan.

I agree though the mare for sale above looks Rabicano and/or Sabino roan, and not true Roan.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    What would be required to create a blue roan and red roan horse with flaxen manes and tails?
    Blue roan is simply roan on black. So, you need the genetics to make black - E?aa - which can come a variety of ways. Black x bay, bay x bay, black x chestnut, bay x chestnut, guaranteed with black x black, and other variations.

The one parent MUST be Roan.

Flaxen is thought to not present on black-based colors, so you couldn't get that. But you COULD get a Silver Dapple black roan, and it might turn the mane and tail white. How cool would that be!

Red roan is chestnut with roan. Flaxen is quite unpredictable, and since it hides on black-based colors, your greatest chance is starting with at least one flaxen and one roan.

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    From a QH perspective the photo of the mare for sale above looks more like a sabino type roaning than "roan" such as the QH and Paint have....she also has chin white and what appears to be sabino type leg markings.

The photo of El Rosso also looks like a sabino type frosting rather than the "true roan" that is a dominant gene. If his was a true roan gene it should show up more often than "occasionally"....it should, over the long term, show up in approx 50% of his foals.

Also...are the parents of either of these horses roan as well? If not then it is not a true "roan" gene but rather sabino most likely. Roan horses have to have a roan parent.
    I was wondering about that. So we're back to square one again. LOL

It does look like there ARE true roan TB's out there. I think at least.