The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SPINOFF: Is the PNW way of running shows "normal"?

In reading the "Mileage" thread (and PNWJumper's responses), I am wondering if this competition for entries is normal for other parts of the country?

We moved here about 18 months ago from Jacksonville, FL. JAX is just about the perfect distance for showing. We'd hit the JAX Equestrian Center, Clay County, Canterbury, and HITS Ocala. Want something bigger (or different)? JAX is halfway (mostly) from Wellington and Atlanta. There are people who have been known to go to Conyers, too.

I guess all of that is to say that I've been spoiled. I had/have a great trainer that would hit everything from the schooling shows to the biggies and everything in between.

There are so many shows and associations up here! What is up with that? The husband's new horse is showing serious promise in the jumper ring, but I think we'll hit Thunderbird (BC Canada), rather than sifting through the shows here. Not very supportative of the local big shows, but it seems that everything is back to back to back. Portland, Monroe (east of Seattle), back to Portland, Seattle/Tacoma... Lather, rinse, repeat.

Am I just spoiled, or are you all like that, too?
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

We used to be like that......now it's all week long back to back to back at the same location! Lucky you for having so many places to choose from. I pine for those days.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Most of the shows are back to back because of the distance traveled. That way anybody how has to haul can haul just once and stay put for awhile. The shows fill with entries from Canada, Washington and Oregon. The way they were originally scheduled years ago logical, you would just work your way up the coast: Oregon in July, Washington in August, then onto Spruce Meadows in September.

Now, there are enough entries to fill more than than one show, so Oregon has a full series going on pretty much all summer, Washington tends to split with the bigger shows in Canada, and they all fill.

Since you do jumpers, I would suggest Spring Nationals Jumper week in April, anything at Thunderbird, BC, and the Evergreen Classic in Carnation, WA in August.

You live in my area - I'm in Burlington. Welcome to Washington!

There are two weeks in Bend OR in the High Desert in August as well. Rest of them are back up and down I-5. Which is the same time as a show in Washington because there is more than 200 miles between the shows.

There aren't that many miles between Portland and Seattle and Langley. ~150 to PDX from SEA and ~150 from SEA to Langley and the fun border crossing - but then there is the equally fun bridge from OR to WA over the Columbia on Sunday nights too.

Two Oregon show managers joined forces when the economy tanked, to make sure that shows were able to fill.

There are only 2 Associations OHJA and WSHJA for Oregon and Washington. What other associations beyond USEF/USHJA are you seeing? Typically if you live in Washington you join WSHJA as a National member and everything from Oregon and BC counts toward year end awards. The kids and adults doing the association medals join both, along with USEF and USHJA.

I don't think there are very many associations (WSHJA and OHJA are all that come to mind and I've only ever had memberships in USEF and WSHJA), and I guess the nice thing about the schedule is that there's a show almost every single week through the summer. If you prefer heading down to Oregon (no need for a Coggins and Health Cert) you can spend as much time as you'd like down there and it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive to Portland. If you don't mind crossing the border into Canada you can just hang out at the shows there. But there is definitely a "set" of shows that the big barns (with jumpers since that's what you said your hubby does) head to. And not all shows have >1.30m jumpers (several of the Oregon shows max out at 1.30m). Offhand I can think of the following (not saying these are all that exist, just what come to mind):

April: Spring Nationals Jumper week (which is decently attended, but not huge since a lot of folks are recently back from Thermal) in April
    May: Thunderbird (though I give a big thumbs up for the Eugene Spring Hunter/Jumper show for consistent good horses and riders in the big classes, though it's capped at 1.30m...but they're stout courses and several riders that show in the big grand prixes up and down the coast the rest of the summer)
    June/July: Wilsonville, the Country Classic, Thunderbird
    July: High Desert Classic in Bend, OR or Thunderbird
    August: Evergreen Classic in Carnation
    August: 2-3 weeks of T-bird
    Sept: Finals show in Monroe.

And then, of course, there are barns that head down to California (Sacramento down to San Diego) and up to Spruce Meadows periodically. And a group of barns that head to Twin Oaks up in Canada as well. So I guess maybe there is a fair amount of driving, but nothing's *that* far. And now that the two Oregon show managers have joined forces to handle those shows I think it will help the schizophrenic schedule calm down a little.

What level is your husband showing at? There are some really fantastic smaller shows that I've always incorporated into my schedule, that I would recommend to you guys over Thunderbird. But if your husband is looking for 1.40+ there are very few options, and Thunderbird is the best bet, at least early in the season, for filled classes and solid 1.40m fences.

Thanks guys! That makes more sense now. I was thinking that we had to join WSHJA, OHJA, the whatever it is for Canada, and something else... can't remember just now, in addition to USEF/USHJA. Whew! 5 birds with 2 stones is way better!

Part of our problem is two-fold. One is that we live on Whidbey Island, so we have to go up and around to get anywhere. We could take the Mulkiteo/Clinton ferry, but that would be a huge price ($70 one way, I think) to take the truck and trailer (thank GOD it's a 2H bp).

Our other problem isn't a problem, per se... With Alex being active-duty Navy, we can't go to too many week-long shows (bummer). Thus, the life of the military family...

We recently bought a Tb for Alex (sharing horses doesn't work well in this house). Charlie still needs some weight, but must have been a jumper of sorts in his past life... The goal for this season is 1.1ish. They're aiming for 2'9"-3'0" for their first show, just because they haven't hit a formal show together yet. I'm thinking they're going to go through the levels pretty quickly (hoping).

We are also is DESPERATE need of a HJ barn on the island. Apparently, everyone either does dressage or barrel racing (headdesk).

I miss my trainer...
    Last edited by hollynanne; Jan. 27, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: more info...
    Top Shelf "Charlie"

The Thunderbird shows are some of the nicest shows out there, IMO, but if your husband is aiming for 1.10m jumpers, I'm not sure I would make the big effort to get up there. It's expensive and a lot of effort if you're not trying to hunt down the bigger jumps. They're all also 5-day shows, and you're not saving any money by staying for only a few days (ask me how I know!).

Some of the Oregon shows are really nice and they run on a slightly different schedule. The early spring ones run the jumpers Thursday-Saturday. I LOVE the schedule since I try to minimize my time away from home, and I think it's great to load up my horses after the big class on Saturday night and be home before Sunday.

And then locally you've got the Monroe shows. There's the aforementioned April jumper show (plenty of 1.10m classes) and then there's the May PNWH&J Show that runs jumper classes through the 1.20m jumpers. I haven't been in several years, but it used to be a part of our regular schedule when I was a kid (back when they still had the big jumpers classes).

June brings the Bainbridge Island Classic (on BI, of course) which is a little 3-day show, which maxes out at 3'6" or 3'9", but is a good opportunity to get around some outdoor grass courses.

In regards to the ferry boat....I share your pain! I'm in Kingston and have to take the ferry across to get to Monroe (it's under $50 during peak season for my 3-horse BP trailer and long-bed truck, so maybe cheaper than you think?). Add to it my small kids who I come home to every night and I ended up commuting daily to every show except for the Oregon ones....the commute from Langley, B.C. back to Kingston every night was definitely the most killer of all of the commutes. It made me not mind the ridiculous Monroe/Carnation commuting during the rest of the summer!

Anyhow, my point is that I wouldn't throw in the towel on Washington or Oregon horseshows. I think that if your husband is planning the 1.10(ish) jumpers, you've got a ton of options from March on.

If you live in Oak Harbor, Canada isn't that hard. Come across Deception Pass, and out Hwy 20 to I-5. It's a little over half an hour and puts you out at Burlington, and no ferry. From there it's hour, maybe a hour and a half to Canada.

PNW Jumper mentioned Twin Oakes. That is supposed to be a really nice jumper only show. They limit the number of horses, and the courses and venue have a great reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
    If you live in Oak Harbor, Canada isn't that hard. Come across Deception Pass, and out Hwy 20 to I-5. It's a little over half an hour and puts you out at Burlington, and no ferry. From there it's hour, maybe a hour and a half to Canada.
    I agree that travel to Canada's not that hard. It took me just 2 hours, almost on the dot, from driving off of the boat in Edmonds to the T-bird driveway each day (the horses stay there when I'm commuting). Granted I never got held up particularly long at customs, but still, not bad for heading into another country! I would guess that the drive from Burlington is probably right around an hour to the show grounds.

But you still have to have your current Coggins and health certificates, and the horseshows are expensive....especially if you're just heading up for a few days. I took my boy up for the AOs last spring Wed-Fri and the horseshow cost me (for 1 class each day for 3 days.....hauled up Wednesday morning, hauled home Friday night) $700 for the entry fees alone. I remember when we used to go to Milner and the old T-bird show because the exchange rate was good and the shows were the best value anywhere. But now that the exchange rate is pretty even, they're definitely not on the cheap side of things!

I haven't ever shown at Twin Oaks, but friends of mine head up every year and rave and rave about the quality of the shows, the quality of the classes, and the quality of the competitors. I was hoping to head up in July last year, but they canceled the show.

[QUOTE=PNWjumper;5388260]I remember when we used to go to Milner and the old T-bird show because the exchange rate was good and the shows were the best value anywhere. But now that the exchange rate is pretty even, they're definitely not on the cheap side of things! QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth! I remember showing at Milner in the late 80s/early 90s and the exchange rate was minimum 30%, and occassionally almost as high at 40%. It was wonderful and made everything incredible affordable!

I don't show anymore, but the costs now just astound me. Costs have keeping a horse have gone up comiserate with salaries, on the whole, over that time, but showing costs have outstripped that by a long way.

We just drove up to Lynden last weekend with the truck and trailer, and it's a really easy drive. Just over 90 minutes to Lynden with the truck and trailer.

OT- We loaned our three to Western Washington University's Hunt Seat Team for their show. We had a blast! Even if you didn't show IHSA in college, I totally recommend going/loaning your horse. IHSA schools ALWAYS need good horses for shows, and it really is a good experience for the college kids. (hubby and I met showing IHSA at Iowa State University)

I think Alex (the husband) can take Charlie (the new gelding) to T-bird at the end of summer, if they are going to be competitive. Makes me sound like a jerk, but we have to be realistic about the costs...

We are planning on hitting the Bainbridge Island Classic, though. We have friends in Gig Harbor, so that would be nice to go to that show. (their daughter goes to Western WA and probably would take her gelding, too.)

My trainer did all the show forms, which shows to go to when, etc. She even did all the show fees, gave us an estimate, and then just applied it to our boarding/training bill. Like I said, spoiled...

I totally agree! Grounds fees and schooling fees? $300 for a stall!? $12 a bag for shavings!? What's up with that?
    Top Shelf "Charlie"

Quote Originally Posted by hollynanne View Post
    I totally agree! Grounds fees and schooling fees? $300 for a stall!? $12 a bag for shavings!? What's up with that?
    Yeah, I know. But the deal is the regulations in their area. Apparently, what I've heard is that in order to comply with regulations in the area, they have to sell the shavings, and it's all part of how they dispose of the manure. So no bulk shavings, etc. I've never looked into it, but supposedly its permitting, etc.

Stall fees? Well, who knows. High, itsn't it?

Part of our problem is two-fold. One is that we live on Whidbey Island, so we have to go up and around to get anywhere. We could take the Mulkiteo/Clinton ferry, but that would be a huge price ($70 one way, I think) to take the truck and trailer (thank GOD it's a 2H bp).
    The Mukilteo-Clinton Ferry is not actually that much. We have a 2H Bumper Pull as well and it's total length is 34'. The cost to get from Mukilteo to Clinton (onto Whidbey Island) is $32 or $34, because the rig is under 40'. The cost to leave the island is $28. That was basically the cost to drive around.

OT- We loaned our three to Western Washington University's Hunt Seat Team for their show. We had a blast! Even if you didn't show IHSA in college, I totally recommend going/loaning your horse. IHSA schools ALWAYS need good horses for shows, and it really is a good experience for the college kids. (hubby and I met showing IHSA at Iowa State University)
    I'll put a plug in here for the IHSA. My former nanny and helper/rider is helping to organize a UW sponsored IHSA show in Poulsbo in a couple of weeks (Feb 12/13) at Sandamar Farm. If anyone's got horses they can spare, I'm sure they're still looking for horses who can jump (and probably horses for the flat classes as well).

<sigh> Yeah, a good hj trainer would be nice...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    I'll put a plug in here for the IHSA. My former nanny and helper/rider is helping to organize a UW sponsored IHSA show in Poulsbo in a couple of weeks (Feb 12/13) at Sandamar Farm. If anyone's got horses they can spare, I'm sure they're still looking for horses who can jump (and probably horses for the flat classes as well).
    Charlie and Mac will be there that weekend! Bella is the worst IHSA horse ever (and that's saying a LOT! ). The captain of the WWU Hunt Seat team was going to talk to the UW guys and tell them that we were willing to bring Charlie and Mac.

Are you taking your horse(s), PNWJumper? We need a COTH meetup!

costco- I totally looked that up, too (I think I must've been thinking the total for one day when we had to take two ferries each way). Thanks for the info about if it were better to go around or not. We are going to a tiny show in Woodinville and I think we're going to take the ferry. I hate the "up and around" drive... It's the only way to get to Target. (sigh)
    You could totally loan out your horse that weekend and join our COTH meetup.

Jenners- I'm working on it, but it's not looking good... sad...
    Pink needs to go to the UW show for them. It's a blast at IHSA shows.
    Top Shelf "Charlie"

Charlie and Mac will be there that weekend! Bella is the worst IHSA horse ever (and that's saying a LOT! ). The captain of the WWU Hunt Seat team was going to talk to the UW guys and tell them that we were willing to bring Charlie and Mac.

Are you taking your horse(s), PNWJumper? We need a COTH meetup!
    That's great! I told the organizer (my former nanny) that I would offer up my mare if they were in need of additional jumping horses. I don't have anything else that would be suitable....my boys are 1) too dangerous 2) too green and 3) too small (which is a shame because my 12.2h pony would be AWESOME in a situation like that and could jump around a 2'-2'6" course with anyone!).

There's a facebook page for the show: http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?...17048068367164

And I'd be happy to let Maddy know you've got horses if you'd like.

Anyhow, I'll be there to support "my kid" (my former nanny), and then the kid who helps me out now and has been riding and jumping my small pony will also be there volunteering her time.

I dunno that any of then are interested in riding a large pony? It wouldn't be fair to ask her to jump around in the middle of Feb, after having the winter off anyways.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I dunno that any of then are interested in riding a large pony? It wouldn't be fair to ask her to jump around in the middle of Feb, after having the winter off anyways.
    I'm guessing that they would be happy for a large pony, and could probably keep to flat classes only if jumping was a concern.

Maybe Hollyn can talk to me about this weekend...