The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff-what's the worst you're done to your SO (or parent)

So, once you've reeled in that poor unsuspecting fool into your life, what's the worst thing you've done to them in regards to your horse disease?
    I forgot the hubby's b-day and entered an event 5 hours away.
    I took our mortgage line of credit to buy a horse. BUT it was Winston! So it was worth it!
    I get really mad at him when he buys me jewelry instead of horse stuff.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

For me, without a doubt, it's giving up riding and racing dirtbikes. I had gotten really good "for a girl" and was camping/riding every weekend, and racing both Enduros and Hare Scrambles. We spent every weekend together with the motorcycles.

Ever since getting back into the horses I have spent most of my time, money, blood, sweat and tears on the horses.

We have been together 12 years, and our life was transformed after I bought a horse in 2003. I feel terribly guilty sometimes, but at the same time think I would throw myself off the Golden Gate Bridge if I could not go to the barn everyday.

Well, for a long time it was buying a horse van on Craigslist and making him fly to Baltimore with me to drive it back. To be clear, *I* did all the driving as he doesn't drive a manual - but it was a loooong day. Plus, the thing was cheap but unleashed a bunch of expenses, like insuring and maintaining the thing, plus all the clinics/competitions it allowed me to do. Money was pretty tight at the time, so it was maybe not so nice.

But about three weeks ago I took on an old dressage schoolmaster. Sure, he was free, but board around here is $900/mo and this guy needs 2x a year injections and special shoes. Did I mention that I JUST GOT my dream event horse back in April? (And I still have my mare out on free lease, but she could come back to me at any time). So it's not like I was hurting for horses. We "can" afford the new guy, but we shouldn't! When I talked to DH about it and he said, "Stop being so good!" which I conveniently interpreted that as "go ahead honey!" In retrospect, he was really saying, "Use your brain woman!", but in a nice way that wouldn't make me do it just to spite him. But then I did it anyway.

Drag him to shows to be my groom & trailer driver @ 4am Learned my lesson the hard way when he didn't want to hold the horse anymore, put him on a lunge line, tied him to the steering wheel of the new truck and took a nap! I came back to a snoring SO, a horse happily grazing 20ft away, and you can only imagine my reaction! He should have called me! He knows better!

His reaction, "You woke me up at 4am, had me drive 3hrs, and didn't expect me to nap. That stupid horse of yours wouldn't go anywhere." The heated argument that went on afterwards was probably not so nice. He still finds it hilarious. He & that horse must have some special pact, as the SO can do such things as load the horse by himself, clip him, and other odd things that I don't generally allow to occur without my supervision. Heck, no one else can even load that horse no-fuss. Teaching the SO to body clip probably wasn't too nice...

Told him to take my horse for a spin around the arena after he'd heard little else about her than how wild she'd been for the prior couple of months we'd been dating.

"No, nooooo, she won't take off or buck. Just don't point her at a jump. And don't do anything that resembles a kick. Did I mention don't steer her towards any jumps? You'll be fine."

They ambled around, quite undramatically for a few minutes, then he brought her in to me (or just let her come). Hopped off, said, "This thing doesn't steer well," and kissed me. That was the first and last horse ride he's ever taken.

My DH is also an excellent body clipper. But in my case he does ride. After all those years he gave it a try and did not look back. He loves the galloping and jumping aspect of eventing and is much braver than I am! But in 2009 when he broke his CB it set him back a little. Falling horses are not fun he found out! He does resent the money but I am the bread winner in the house so what can he really say. Bodie just spent 3 nights at the vet clinic and I did call him but no matter what he said Bodie was going to the clinic and he knew it!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

I have only been dating my boyfriend for a year, so I am currently working the halo effect so that I can pull some stuff like this later, when we're married and have joint finances.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I realized just to day my first ever (hopefully) HT is on mothers day. Mind you I am 35 years old but ....Guess I'll have to visit her the next weekend.
    Pamela Ellis

Default castration

When I was in high school (many moons ago) my then boyfriend did night check with me the night of a castration. Yep, you guessed it, emergency vet call for bleeding and then boyfriend had to help hold the poor horse while the vet went back in to close up something that was not properly closed!!!!

Took up eventing! hahahah. I thought that might kill my mom.

It's probably a tie between:

- The High Jump competition where my mother watched me jump a horse I had never really jumped before go up to 3'9" (and I haven't jumped that high since) or maybe the time she watched me school xc and my horse and I fell around a turn. All the sudden we weren't in view behind the tall grass...

OR

- Taking my horse to a HT the weekend of SO's birthday. BUT in my defense the last 2 years all I heard from him was "I don't care about my b'day", "don't get me anything" and "it's only special for my mom..." so I thought it wasn't going to be an issue! I had plans for him, like dinner and gifts, but OMG the cow he had half ruined my glorious xc run!

Changed our wedding date so I could compete at Red Hills
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Too numerous to mention, I'm sure....

BF of 6 months, not into horses but accepting of them and rode a bit...I said, wanna come watch a foaling...sure he says....foaling was horrible...mare tore and had a propapsed uterus, only then did I find out that said BF, hates the site of blood...he passed out, right into the poop pile, vet's assistant had to drag him out of the stall, so he didn't get stepped on or in our way. Sad thing is he woke up a few minutes later, covered in manure, on the ground, outside the stall, got up, came back in took one look at the propapsed uterus and did it again...lol. Thankfully my mom was there by then and ushed the poor guy into the house, when he came too...Needless to say it wasn't a match made in heaven lol.

During high school, my farmer boy boyfriend came with me to the barn. My horse had gotten stung on the sheath or something and it was swollen. He stood there as I felt around up to my elbow up there to make sure everything was okay. Talk about de-masculating to a 17 year old guy. haha!! To his credit, even though he considered horses were hayburners and worthless since they didn't make money. I did get him to get on that horse. Horse was a bit of a handful so I kept him on the longeline. Good thing since he was squeezing to stay on. At least he was well schooled on the longeline and stopped when I got his attention

Current bf, taking up riding again after we had been together over a year... Took time away from what we normally did. Although my goal this year is to spend more time with him doing non horsey stuff again that we both enjoy. I have too many hobbies though, that are all fair weather. At least we share some of them

Well, for a couple years I went to a horseshow (local, h/j, not too big of a deal) the day before mother's day. That was when I was 11-14 so my mom had to drive me and stay with me all day...it was the day before and local so really, nbd.
    Then last year I got my current horse and started really eventing...um, yeah...NWEC Mother's Day Classic, on mother's day, almost 10 hours away. Sorry mom!

Quote Originally Posted by PuraVidaEventing View Post
    Well, for a couple years I went to a horseshow (local, h/j, not too big of a deal) the day before mother's day. That was when I was 11-14 so my mom had to drive me and stay with me all day...it was the day before and local so really, nbd.
    Then last year I got my current horse and started really eventing...um, yeah...NWEC Mother's Day Classic, on mother's day, almost 10 hours away. Sorry mom!
    lol. I did the same thing!! As I kid I always had my mom take me to a show that weekend! Since she grew up riding and still loved horses I thought it was a treat for her.....

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    Too numerous to mention, I'm sure....
    same here. Mom & whatever SO....

I think by far the most traumitizing thing done to my DH has been having him hold the leg out of the way for the vet to do a gelding

DH is an eventer too, so he doesn't mind the horsey things. But when I was in high school...

I grew up in Louisiana and we were going to FL for an event and I was So. Excited. I think I was 16 and it was my first horse and one of our first shows together. That week I had had the flu and missed Monday and Tuesday of school, but I sucked it up and went on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, because I was NOT missing this show. Because I'd missed twice that week, I wasn't allowed to miss school on Friday, so my trainer hauled my horse over for me and my dad and I were going to fly to FL after I finished classes on Friday (this was a HUGE deal, we hardly ever left LA for horse shows, never mind going all the way to FL- and flying there to boot! I'm sure it's not what my dad wanted to be doing with his weekend but he was a good sport). Well it was pouring rain and there was a tropical storm warning and our flight ended up being canceled. It was the same weekend as the Daytona 500 and there were no flights to ANYWHERE in Florida. I was crushed. Dear old Dad, the saint that he was, said, fine, let's just get in the car and drive! So he drove me all the way from south Louisiana to the FL panhandle, through the night, so that I could ride in this &*#^ show.
    Did I mention I'd had the flu? Well, apparently I STILL had it and woke up Saturday morning with a fever. But did that stop me? Oh no, I decided I was riding no matter what. The tropical storm weather had followed us to FL and it was pouring when I got on to warm up for dressage- I was soaked and frozen within the first two minutes. My horse was (probably overly) fit and being quite the handful as soon as I got on... bottom line was I ended up passing out/getting bucked off in dressage warm up and scratching. My poor dad! In all fairness to him, he was a REALLY good sport about it (all that time and money and then I wasn't even going to RIDE?) but every once in a while he'll still say to me, "Hey, remember that really great show you had in Florida?" I'll probably never live it down.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services