The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Okay All You GM Haters!

I've always seen why people have issues with GM's style of teaching but I've always just chalked it up to the fact that every great trainer is a little cooky in some way. It's not like you can achieve success like his without being SOME sort of brilliant.

So here it is... CHECK IT OUT, in the latest PH the man is jumping (not just cross-rails and cavalettis either) a horse that a appears to be a powerful jumper. AND IN GREAT FORM! And he is how old?!

Love him or hate him, you really can't knock it!
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by VarsityHero4 View Post
    I've always seen why people have issues with GM's style of teaching but I've always just chalked it up to the fact that every great trainer is a little cooky in some way. It's not like you can achieve success like his without being SOME sort of brilliant.

So here it is... CHECK IT OUT, in the latest PH the man is jumping (not just cross-rails and cavalettis either) a horse that a appears to be a powerful jumper. AND IN GREAT FORM! And he is how old?!

Love him or hate him, you really can't knock it!
    I saw GM ride a greeny a couple years ago at a clinic. Horse was being moody and George hopped on and schooled the heck out of him. I was super impressed with his jumping position then, and continue to be today. The man may be old, but he still has "it".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

A great rider is not automatically a great trainer. I do not know George Morris on any levell, but I find it interesting that people automatically correlate riding with training when they are two different skill sets.

One only has to look at the accomplishments of GM's students to know that he is also a great trainer

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

"It's not like you can achieve success like his without being SOME sort of brilliant".

Many people achieve this level of success with out being brilliant. It has more to do with business sense. marketing, HARD consistant work, dedication and determination.

Au Contraire, Olympic athletes who have trained Olympic athletes for 50+ years ARE brilliant in their respective sport. All the business sense, marketing, dedication and determination as well as hard work in the world is not getting a baseball player to the World Series any more then it can get any of us an Olympic Medal or put one of our students on the podium.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

He is FAR more successful as a trainer / coach than he ever was as a rider.

Yes, he was on "the team". But if you compare his results with his comtempararies's (Frank Chapot, Mary Mairs Chapot, Kathy Kusner, Bill Steinkraus) it is clear tha GM was not the "star" of the team. But he has far excelled them in his sibsequent training ;/ coaching career.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

One of my all-time favorite trainers isn't a rider. I mean as in like I've never seen this woman stick a foot in the stirrup. But she has an INCREDIBLE eye for detail, has an amazing amount of knowledge and can explain things in a way people understand. I completely attribute my great basics to her and I still consider her a mentor. In fact, I wouldn't even LOOK at a horse that I sent her clips of that she didn't like.

Having said that though, she's a total fruit loop.

I saw GM get on one of Chris Kappler's horses in a schooling ring years ago -- Chris was a BNR at that point, but not yet an Olympic medalist -- GM schooled the horse through the same exercise that Chris had been working on, and there was a noticeable improvement in the horse --

I have no desire to ride in one of his clinics, but I'd really like to see GM ride my gelding --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

After all this GM bashing I am beginning to feel a bit sorry for him. My mom, who's not even a horse person, said "look the man is passionate about what he does. People should just let him be"

I watched the GM clinic over here last weekend and didn't have any issues with his style of teaching at all, the only time he was frustrated or a bit impatient was when people didn't try to do what he asked, which is fair enough. He rode quite a few of the horses and his position was amazing, his lower leg never moved, and all of the horses except one went a lot better for him quite quickly. I learnt a lot, and it reinforced a lot of the good basics I have already been taught. The more I learn now, the more I appreciate the really good instruction I had as a teenager. Now I just have to be able to put that theory into practice!

He can walk the walk and talk the talk - even in his 70's. No, not everyone that can ride can teach. One does not connote the other, for sure. But y'know, despite all the bashing, he is a very humble man. I sure don't have any Olympic medals to my credit, and he does. At one of his clinics, he was describing back when he was sent to Gordon Wright for riding lessons. He said,in so many words as I can't remember the exact quote, which really surprises me, that after his first lesson, Mr. Wright said to him, " Are you sure you wouldn't rather take up tennis?" He has another famous quote, and I'll get this one wrong too - " Bill was the talented one- Bernie was the gifted one- and I, I was the plodder." I believe he teaches the way he does because he believes in his heart if you are willing to work hard enough, do what it takes, if you have enough desire, if you want it bad enough - you can be good. And when you come to a lesson without that desire, only with a pretense of devotion to the sport, well, why bother.
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

I have to agree the man can still ride and is a great teacher. I have slowly been watching the clinic from wellington. I have just watched the first group flat and it was great. That grey that he hopped on looked hot and not necessarily easy and by the end looked better. She reminded me of my mare in a lot of ways, so I took his attitude to my mare today and the exercises he made the riders do and I had a fabulous ride. Her trot work improved tremendously. She wasn't a huge fan of canter walks, but she truthfully isn't a huge fan of listening to me in the canter. While she wasn't happy about them I could feel a difference in her canter after a few of them. I had been so caught up in that she is a sensitive mare and that I don't want to upset her that I was letting her get away with murder. Today I demanded, not in a mean or cruel way, that she listen to me and do as I ask. Wow it made a huge difference in her. I think she needs a firm leader when being ridden. I can't wait to watch the rest of his clinic!

I have read his book, but never seen him in action. I think he is awesome. I would love to ride with him. He is my kind of trainer. Ask me something and expect me to give it my best and if I don't then I hear about it.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I have to agree the man can still ride and is a great teacher. I have slowly been watching the clinic from wellington. I have just watched the first group flat and it was great. That grey that he hopped on looked hot and not necessarily easy and by the end looked better. She reminded me of my mare in a lot of ways, so I took his attitude to my mare today and the exercises he made the riders do and I had a fabulous ride. Her trot work improved tremendously. She wasn't a huge fan of canter walks, but she truthfully isn't a huge fan of listening to me in the canter. While she wasn't happy about them I could feel a difference in her canter after a few of them. I had been so caught up in that she is a sensitive mare and that I don't want to upset her that I was letting her get away with murder. Today I demanded, not in a mean or cruel way, that she listen to me and do as I ask. Wow it made a huge difference in her. I think she needs a firm leader when being ridden. I can't wait to watch the rest of his clinic!

I have read his book, but never seen him in action. I think he is awesome. I would love to ride with him. He is my kind of trainer. Ask me something and expect me to give it my best and if I don't then I hear about it.
    Amen brother! ( or sister)
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    He is FAR more successful as a trainer / coach than he ever was as a rider.

Yes, he was on "the team". But if you compare his results with his comtempararies's (Frank Chapot, Mary Mairs Chapot, Kathy Kusner, Bill Steinkraus) it is clear tha GM was not the "star" of the team. But he has far excelled them in his sibsequent training ;/ coaching career.
    Your post reminded me of the saying "those that can't do, teach."

George Morris is the Pat Perelli of the hunter/jumper world.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    George Morris is the Pat Perelli of the hunter/jumper world.
    ?????????

That is so off the mark it is a complete joke. PP does not have any great competition background, or trained riders at the level that GM has/ does. Also, I don't see any 'George Morris Apple Sticks' for sale in my local tack shop, do you? PP is in it for the money. GM, love him or hate him, is a consummate horseman and has a true passion for the sport.

PP has trained hundreds if not thousands of high level riders.

Just ask him.
    Last edited by pds; Jan. 31, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    PP has trained hundreds if not thousands of high level riders.

Just ask him.
    In what disciple?

Uh, I think GM comes across as a jackass sometimes when teaching or commenting, but I wouldn't insult him by comparing him to the Parelli shysters. He may be a jerk at times, but he actually teaches people to RIDE. And could probably do that with a horse in a $20 bridle, $100 saddle, and no fancy equipment or rhubarb sticks and not try to sell them expensive replacements based on their mount's "horsenality".