The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default As long as I have my horse I will never need a therapist

It was unseasonably warm today so I was able to ride outside for the first time in months.
    Perfect weather- bright and sunny, cool crisp air, no more snow on the ground, and warm enough to ride in a sweater, just perfect.
    My horse seemed to enjoy the nice weather too and was so well behaved- not nearly as fresh as I thought he would be since we were riding in a big open field.
    For about 40 minutes it didn’t matter that money’s tight, that my son (who excels in math) is struggling with reading and we’re afraid it might hold him back in school. It didn’t matter that I have to go back to work tomorrow and we’ve been insanely busy at work lately. For that time there was no stress at all.
    All that mattered was the crunching of the leaves under his feet, how much I like the soft pffft, pffft sound that he makes when cantering, that he seemed to be enjoying the day and ride as much as I was, that he made me laugh when he acted like a goof and jumped over the shadows cast by trees. For those 40 minutes all was right with the world (or at least my world).
    Cheesy, I know, but hubby’s not a horse person and doesn’t “get it”. I thought others here would and I just wanted to share.
    I know a lot of folks are snowed in right now but I hope others are enjoying their horses as much as I enjoyed mine today. (Whether inside or out)

If COTH had a like button, I would have just "liked" this!

I know just what you mean. As soon as I turn off the main road and onto the one that leads to the barn I leave the rest of my life behind. My horse and riding is beyond refreshing, and way more effective than any therapy could be.
    Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Amen. Whenever I'm insanely stressed and tired and cranky, one good ride with my goofy pony will make my mood a million times better.

I'm with you... As soon as I see my horse my job and college stresses just melt away and nothing matters except the fact that his big warm fuzzy self is standing there. Bringing him to school with me this semester was the best decision I've ever made.
    RIP Don - 3/28/2004-8/15/2012

I absolutely agree. My life has aspects that can be really hard to deal with sometimes, but my horse is my shining star, my lifesaver. My husband gets this, as does anyone else who really knows me. Every time I'm riding, or grooming him, or just hand grazing him, or whatever - I feel transported to a better place. The best part? I am pretty sure he loves what we do together as well. As I walked past his pasture today on my way to my car, he nickered at me and walked along the fence line. I just love that horse.

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Yes, horses and riding lessons are the best mental health therapy ever.

Add that beautiful day with a tiny hint of spring, and that's the best antidepressant that could be prescribed.

AGREE on all points!!! I can count on my Reggie bringing a smile on my face and forgetting about the other shit in my life for awhile. Love my boy!!!

Smile So true!

Its always nice to know that they really dont want anything from you, aside from love, attention, and of course whatever treats you have hidden in your pockets.

I always see the "Above the Influence" commercials and wish there was a way to convey the sense of relaxation and happiness of when your having a wonderful ride through the television. Horses are my anti-drug

Well, I'm on the "other side" my horse is lame and my 13 year old daughter lost her lease horse. We both lost our horses last July.

We are miserable ! I'm saving money but life couldn't be less interesting and it is depressing. I'm not sure either my daughter or I will be able to live without riding. I've had friends leave riding and I always wondered if they were happier -clearly they have more money to spend and much more free time.

I am looking at a new horse Saturday. I know that I could try and find another lease for my daughter and I could just hack whatever horse at the barn, but to not have a happy, goofy horse that is part of our family is hard. So trust me, I have time to shop-but I don't, I have time to read-but I don't , I have time to clean my house-and I won't. I just want to ride my horse.

It is absolutely amazing how these animals can bring us such joy! After being horseless for 13 months from losing 2 horses within a year I was finally able to get another in December. Sunday was such an awesome day even though my girl isn't under saddle yet, it was so wonderful just to be with her. My husband just shook his head at me when he walked out to find me jumping with joy because she had stood quietly for me to bridle an saddle her for the first time with me. Our non-horse husbands, friends, and family just don't understand the little things and how these special creatures can make all our troubles disappear. Words will never be able to express how they fill my life, all I can do is look at my husband and say "I am so happy and I love my horse"!

I'm nearly 6 ft tall, and I own this itty bitty quarter horse.
    People don't get why I own him.

Last night, I showed up at the barn at 11pm and he nickered instantly.
    He usually nickers when he sees me, always has.
    He nickers, and I don't even need to go riding to smile.
    I don't feed him, I don't even need to have carrots, he just does this... because hes MY horse.
    He was MY horse before I bought him.

That's actually the main reason I bought itty bitty quarter horse, and hes the BEST!