The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Training the Bud Clydes for a Super Bowl Commercial

Here's a video showing how they trained them for the "Snowball" Super Bowl commercial. Fascinating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyAdgF4kRoE

And here's the final commercial in case you forgot what it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qccLJ-slFI
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

thanks Mike, that was great. I always wondered how they taught that. And that commercial never fails to make me laugh.

Funny thing is the film clip doesn't actually show how the horses were trained. I imagine clicker training (or other positive reinforcement method) is involved, but it would be nice to have that confirmed.

How interesting. I really enjoyed watching that.

it does show in some of the other clips. I saw they used a clicker when training the sheep but didn't use it the way I do. They do use a lot of food in training.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    They do use a lot of food in training.
    Not a surprise to me, my Clyde/TB cross is the most food motivated animal I have ever seen. ANYTHING for a treat.

duh! and I thought it was all computer animated!!!

I have a Clyde cross mare and those commercials always make me laugh... I read in a US newspaper last week (I was on vacation in Fl) that the company has committed to keeping the Clydesdales for a few more years!

The company was sold to, I think, some European company. They're the ones trying to get rid of the horses. Glad it backfired. The Clydes are an American institution.

I miss when they kept some of the Clydesdales here in Orlando. After InBev (a Belgian company) bought out A-B, they moved them all out of the Sea World parks. Their barns are all empty now and the paddocks are now filled with parked company vehicles. Bah.

( Here's a pic I took of one a few years back, wish I had more photos on hand: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jadewolf/478865518/ )

I'm betting it's a lot of clicker training, yeah. All of the animal training at the A-B parks was done via positive reinforcement, with either clickers, whistles, or certain key words being used as the bridge.

I've taught the kissey trick with peanut butter on the gums and the roll trick with the treat dispenser (soda bottle with treats and holes). Never tried the kick trick though I'm sure it's not hard.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.