The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunting withdrawal already

Okay so it has been a couple of weeks since the last hunt of the season here in NC. And I am already having MAJOR withdrawal. This was our first season as a member (I've gone as a guest before) and we LOVED IT. I pretty much went out any time the hounds were let out and my hubby went on the weekends.

So what do you all do after the season? Normally I would be riding my dressage horse pretty hard right now to get ready for the first big show of the season... but he is lame.

For me, the season never really ends. We get a couple of weeks of down time before we start walking hounds at the kennel.

Once you have worked with those puppies, helped get the hounds ready for a hound show, watch that gangly young hound you walked speak on a line for the first time, and beam with joy when the pack honors that hound...... you will realize there is a whole other dimension to hunting.

For me, the "season" never ends. I put away my hunting attire, and pull out the nail apron full of dog biscuits.

Why not see if you can help walk out those hounds?

Default And ours is about to begin

I have been living vicariously through you folks down south. And wow, it's been hard to see pics of green, hunt attire and running hounds when we were buried in 4 feet of snow. Our first hunt it 4/19 and I am taking the day off to fully enjoy it!

And I love working with the hounds. We had a pups born just before Christmas and I have had the pleasure of being with them since they were born since I board at the Huntsman's barn.

The first puppy walk was amazing.... I have a short video on my blog of it... it's the one entitled Puppy Peril and Play... I love them.

It will be so hard to stay quiet in the field when they hunt for the first time... (oops, I am rambling)

Our closing hunt is this Saturday and there's a 60% chance of rain. Boo Hoo.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Default Summer Series

Okay so I just got the email that Moore County Hounds will host three trail rides with cook outs April 30th, May 21st and June 11th. I think I will survive the summer.

Loving my hunt right now!

Hee, hee, I know what mean NCdressage. We are two weeks away from closing hunt and it does mean a change. Actually our huntsman is under the weather so our season may have ended now. Today we had a trail ride to get our fix and folks had new horses out for test rides. We'll have a fun hunter pace in a month and summer trail rides to hold us over for riding fixes. Hound walking also happens during the summer.

You could always come over here ... our season just started 10 days ago! I had to laugh when at closing hunt a few years ago one of the members asked my other half what he was going to do with his time now that hunting is over (he's the huntsman) and he replied, quick as a flash, "I'll just take the batteries out of hounds and put them on the mantelpiece for the summer". =)
    "A babbler amongst the followers of a pack of hounds is just as great an evil as a babbler in the pack" The Complete Foxhunter 1908

Oh that is too funny! We just had our Performance Trials this weekend and I got a good dose of fox hunting. So maybe that can last me until April 30th when we will do one of our first trail rides.

I wonder how much it would cost to fly my big percheron to New Zealand to fox hunt for your season. And I wonder if my husband will let me go. hahahahhah