The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Subscription Scam?

Just opened an offer from "Orbital Publishing Group" with a Notice of Renewal/New Order for Equus Magazine. They're offering to lock in a great rate of 85.90 for 2 years. My subscription to Equus doesn't expire until 2015 so I called Equus and asked what was going on. They confirmed my account and put the name on a watchlist.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

I get renewal offers for already subscribed magazines. I think they send them out hoping you won't notice that you still have time left and will renew for another year every few months. I have actually declined to renew a couple because of this tactic. Fitness magazine, for example, sends me an "Urgent Notice" nearly every month even though my current subscription runs through 5/12.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

That is exactly what is happening. You are being solicited to add to your existing subscription (without being told that) and this especially targets the elderly. I understand that one of the problems adult children may encounter with their parents is multiple magazine subscriptions which both cost money the senior cannot easily afford to spend and create a trash issue if the senior chooses to save the magazines.

From what I understand the subscriptions are farmed out to other companies which receive a comission for every subscription sold.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I just received the same thing regarding a PH subscription I just renewed for 2 years. Wanted me to lock in a rate for another year or two. Promptly round filed it.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I get the same. But NOT for $89.50!!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by horsecents View Post
    Just opened an offer from "Orbital Publishing Group" with a Notice of Renewal/New Order for Equus Magazine. They're offering to lock in a great rate of 85.90 for 2 years. My subscription to Equus doesn't expire until 2015 so I called Equus and asked what was going on. They confirmed my account and put the name on a watchlist.

I got this same scam. It's not like those "sign up now for more months" ads that every magazine sends. It had some weird return address on the envelope. I kept looking at the price thinking it was some kind of joke. It didn't occur to me to call Equus. It wound up in the recycling bin anyway.

I got a similar one for Dressage Today in the mail today. I was getting so many renewals, that I finally go smart and started a magazine subscription file with my bills, so I have a record of the time frame and my check number and date. We managed to end up with about a 5 year term on Time Magazine because they kept billing me and for several cycles, we paid them.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    I got a similar one for Dressage Today in the mail today.
    I also received Dressage Today subscription notice this week. The whole system is irritating.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Exclamation

Yet after years of taking DT, and giving gift subsciptions, this year I got NO! notifications, and had to chase them down AND argue about the usual $$$ paid.

???????

PS I won on the $$$$$.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.