The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird Things Horses Eat

So my pony was wandering around while I cleaned his stall, and he starts eating cat food. I go over to him and before I know it he has eaten two bowls of cat food. What a freak. Should I be concerned about the cat food making him sick and/or his sanity? Might I add this is the same pony who loves nerd ropes, bagels (only toasted with butter), chex mix, peanut butter crackers, marshmellows, and french fries. Anyone elses horse eat this stuff?

Mine loves bananas with the skin on plus he stole my hamburger one day that I had gotten at a horse show and left by his stall. That creeped me out a little being the whole meat thing but he was licking his lips.

Geez-where to begin?
    Dogs eat cat food. Cat eats dog food. Horses eat dog food. Dogs eat horse grain.
    Grass and/or hay plentiful? Horses eat leaves (safe ones).
    Everyone eats watermelon. 2/4 like peeps.
    Perchx drinks diet coke.
    Perchx also follows me around wanting more de-wormer paste.
    They ate my lettuce.
    No ill effects. Ever.
    Oh yeah, I went through entire pasture getting rid of thistle. I miss one or two, they eat them-stickers and all.

I've had a bunch of horses that love dry cat food and conversely I've had a couple of cats who love sweet feed

A gelding that I sold loves pickles and french fries with ketchup on them. Also ice cubes that had been in soda- Several times he tried to eat the lemon slices out of an iced tea but would spit it out pretty quick.
    Also have a friend whose mare loves coleslaw
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My daughter's horse Nate will eat anything, sandwiches, meat anything. He is the ultimate beggar.

my husband's gelding eats shavings, yup fresh pine shavings, he also has been known to eat the pelleted beding, yeah he is an odd one

I ride a horse who eats non-food items...jumps, lead ropes, jackets...Okay not whole jumps, but he takes chunks out of them.

In fact today I had a tussle with him because he snatched a hoof pick out of my jacket pocket and had it all the way in his mouth, pointy end and all.

ETA: OMG I forgot about Bob. I once drove a horse for a carriage company who STOLE a scoop of ice cream from a kid who wandered nearby. We were just standing around and in the blink of an eye the kid was holding an empty ice cream cone. Of course the kid cried, but dear lord I had a lot of trouble keeping my giggles under control. It was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen. And Bob made a big mess

I remember a patient at Tufts large animal hospital years ago who had colic surgery to remove an impaction. The impaction was a complete woven western blanket - the kind that folds in half and goes under the pad. The blanket hung outside his stall door while he healed up.

I knew an Arabian that absolutely refused apples - as in, would spit them back at you - but adored the little round, hard dog biscuits...

When I was a kid, one of the school horses ate salt and vinegar chips, bacon and egg breakfast sandwich's at horse shows (you had eat it quick or stay away from him), oreo cookies, coke (but NOT pepsi~ give him a pepsi and you'd be wearing it) french fries, cheeseburgers and he LOVED pizza I'm sure there was a whole lot more he ate but I can't remember (it was a long time ago~ longer than I care to admit! )

When I was a teen, I showed with these 2 older ladies who's horses LOVED beer. They would grab the beer bottle neck in their lips and tip their heads back and swallow the beer.They usually got some unsuspecting visitor's beer who happened to be visiting our trailer at the end of the show.... If I hadn't seen it myself, I never would have believed it.
    Last edited by Seriously_Hunter; Jan. 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling

When I first acquired my herd of rescue horses I had to go through the obligatory 'first deworming' event. I went to the upper hay field which was temporarily used to house 6 or so mares together turned out 24/7. Each horse got their paste dewormer and I was making a pile of empty tubes on the ground as I went...

Partway through I turned around just in time to see one of the younger girls pick up an empty tube and EAT the thing. It disappeared entirely into her mouth I had horrible visions of colic surgery as she proceeded to chew, slurp, and try to 'throw it back' so to speak.

Without thinking I DOVE into her mouth with my entire right fore arm, reached all the way to the back of her mouth while her eyes became very large, and retrieved the empty syringe.

I don't ever want to do that again...and I have done a lot in my years with horses.
    Horses don't lie.

I had a mare a as a kid that hated apples but LOVED tomatoes.

My paint trail horse loves cat food, chicken feed and Mike's Hard Mango drinks - he'll tip the bottle to get the last drop.

Both my geldings think that TACO (we feed it when we camp with them) is the best treat ever, but don't like the bulk horse treats from the feed store that I swear are the same thing.

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Before I bought and/or adopted my two, I used to show on one of my instructor's lesson ponies who adored Cheez-its. I also had a free-lease for half a minute on a quarter pony that was rabid for Mountain Dew. You really couldn't get within 10 feet of her with one or it was hers.

I don't know if I've caught any of the horses I've ridden eating anything with meat in it, but I know there WAS one pony (a fat, 1300 lb, 13.1 hh pony that really thought she was starving every 3rd second of the day) that used to even scarf up all the dog food if the barn dogs weren't watching. Crazy thing was a MEAN bugger... abused by her last owners, hence why my old barn manager took it in after they decided they didn't want her anymore. We always worried that she'd get laminitic or have a case of founder, but she never did. She blew up on nothing but air, even though the barn manager kept her off of the rich grass and fed her a bare minimum to try to get her to lose weight. Ha, maybe it was the dog food.
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

All four of mine are complete booze hounds. Any type of beer or sweet mixed drink and they are up your a$$ sideways!! Makes a fun party trick when they tip their heads up so you can pour the booze in!!
    Any type of soda
    Pizza
    French fries
    Hamburgers
    Chips
    Pretzels
    Anything with peanut butter
    Whole oranges
    Dog cookies
    Pepper trees
    Granola bars
    Any type of cookies
    Every single leaf that falls of the trees
    My Arab ate my plate of lasagna that I left sitting out last week
    There's more but I jut can't think of them

Basically they are pigs.

They are also eating all the bark of my trees despite the fact that they have 24-7 hay.
    -----The sun never sets on the cool....

Margaritas, along with the lime in them! Oranges, lemons, unsweetened iced tea, bananas, an entire pumpkin and beer. He LOVES Starbucks Vanilla soy lattes, he will drink the entire thing if it is left in his reach. He will try anything once but those are the things he likes best that I know about. Our show groom use to take my horse with him to the taqueria at the horse shows and he might have helped himself. He also took him for ice cream at one show.

My old horse ate red vines, carrots, Sweetarts, Cheetos, french fries, hot dogs, a bacon and egg sandwich (we were going to come to blows over that one!) anything cinnamon including those red hots by the bagful, lemons from my iced tea, the iced tea if I didn't pay attention, beer and would try the margaritas.

Yesterday my BO was adding a little more MgCl to one end of the arena while I was longing my horse at the other end. When we were finished I led him over to one patch where it wasn't quite as mixed in. He took a bite of it , chewed thoughtfully, and then spit it out.
    What a weirdo.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Have seen her take a couple mouthfuls of fresh sawdust.

But DH gets to feed her nilla wafers and twizzlers at the end of each show, DD won't allow him to try other things although he would really like to.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

my first horse would chase you down for yellow gatorade- thats how i taught him to come in from the pasture- just stand at the gate and shake the bottle!

oldenburg i rode LOVED buffalo wing pretzels- she would choose those over apples or carrots anyday

horse i leased LOVED champagne- took the cup in his mouth and tipped it back- then broke his stall gaurd to get to it when we took it away!

jazz likes pumpkin, peppermint mochas from starbucks, is not really a fan of apples but likes the red ones better, she also loves french fries!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Count me in with a weirdo who doesn't like the usual treats... My OTTB will MAYBE eat a little piece of an apple, but only if he sees someone else have a bite at it first... He'll completely ignore a whole apple, but if it already has a bite out of it, he'll take a nibble. And maybe another nibble. I once saw him finish an entire apple but it took him literally about 15 bites; I'm pretty sure I could finish an apple in less bites than him.

Oh, and he ADORES peppermints-- but he can't stand candy canes. WTF?!?!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

raw potatoes
    cheeseburger
    bow off a helmet
    cigars
    english leather (no, he didn't like the cheap stuff)
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams