The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DC area hunts/happenings April 9-10?

This may be a long shot as I know most hunts will have ended their seasons, but it looks like I'll be up in Arlington for a CLE April 6-10. If I can get out hunting up NoVA/ south MD I'd love to do so, but if that's not an option and there are other happenings, would love to know about those too!

Heck, maybe I'll just go do some damage at the tack shops.

Too bad I'm not going to be up there a bit earlier to catch the extravaganza at Hunter's Rest!

No idea about hunting, but CDCTA's Spring Horse Trial is on 4/10 in Culpeper, VA.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Hunting is pretty much over by then. That weekend is the ODH point to point on Saturday and then their Hunter Pace is on Sunday. Both events are out in Ben Venue.

Thumbs up

Please join us for the ODH point-to-point on Saturday! There will also be a cocktail party and calcutta that Friday night at Henchman's Lea.

Mama Hunter's Rest gets a pair of tailgate spaces at the ODH point to point - front and center, just 'above' the saddling enclosure. Excellent people-watching/horse-watching spot.
    Please join us!
    As the time approaches, I'll find out the ##s and make a formal invite to folks. The 'fee' is bring-a-yummy-dish-to-share. !
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Thanks, the point-to-point sounds like just the thing! Would love to join you and meet y'all in person!

I don't think I've been to a P2P since I was in high school. My memories consist of seeing lots of great horseflesh, eating lots of good food, and acquiring lots of sunburn.

What's the fastest route to Ben Venue from Arlington or Woodbridge these days? Every time I go back, there's more development and traffic is worse....

Take 66W to 29S (Haymarket). Thae 29 south to warrenton and follow the signs to 211 west. Take 211 w (about 20 miles) to Ben Venue. Total trip time from Arlington to Ben Venue about 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by HunttoLive View Post
    Take 66W to 29S (Haymarket). Thae 29 south to warrenton and follow the signs to 211 west. Take 211 w (about 20 miles) to Ben Venue. Total trip time from Arlington to Ben Venue about 90 minutes.
    Excellent, thank you. Yahoo maps was telling me 3+ hours...I know traffic is bad up there but thought that was a bit excessive!

For gods sakes - my farm is 50 miles from the DC Beltway. I'm a couple miles from the course (plus, that way they route you will be a little quicker.)
    Geez.
    More like 55 minutes if you take your time ...
    I'll have a few parking passes if anyone wants to meet here and ride in with me (maybe a hack in the morning??)
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

ooooo - pick me!! Pick me!!!! I'll bring you some vension!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Smile Plan on partying at Hunter's Rest

Stay fit. We never know how much hunting season will be lost to snow. Last year the season was extended.

We just had our first snow related power outage. We had first a classic freezing rain/sleet/snow mixture in the am, then it warmed up a bit and rained, which washed away all the road treatments. Then mid to late afternoon the next front started. We got a wopping 6" of very clingy, wet snow very quickly, complete with snow thunderstorms. Total chaos. No plows on the roads, no fore thought, even though the weather forecasters were talking about it. Sigh. No one can function here when we get hit. Trees go down, no one can drive on ice, and the type "A"'s all assume that they can go the speed of light.

Hunter's Rest got her power back on before me...Hmm... I wonder if she plugged into those big power lines that we all fought. Or she thought ahead and has her generator working...

I planned for a generator and the contractor lolly-gaggled on the installation. The device is sitting here, waiting. I'm not a happy camper when I have to lug 130 gallons of water a day from a neighbor whose generator works.

All to say, yahoo maps must have either the most convoluted route to get out here to Hunting Mecca or they assumed that you would be driving in a snow storm. Or they actually give their mapping to my power company outage crews...

Thanks for all the info!

What's the general schedule for the P2P (i.e. what time does it start)? My program probably winds up at lunch on Saturday, but I could duck out early or skip the morning entirely, unless they schedule something really critical.

This will be my first trip without the baby, since she was born (just turned a year). I plan to stave off the inevitable sense of guilt, and make the most of my solo time, by fitting as much as possible into this trip! So, if I think I can fit in a hack, I will be contacting HR!

whicker--good luck getting your power back quickly. Most of my family is still up in NoVA and I have been hearing lots of complaints about the weather this winter. In the summer it's my turn.

I'll likely have 2 passes - one landowners pass, one press pass, so that's 2 carloads. Tickets are about $20 per car, though, and go towards the hunt so I hope as many of you come as possible!
    I'll make a formal invitation as we get closer.

Re: Lost power -- I lost juice last evening around 7 pm. So I just went to bed. But couldn't sleep b/c worrying about the horses inside the barn (first time for, like, a whole year I've left horses inside) and the snow and etc.
    Power magickally reappeared at 10 pm! Flickered a few more times but stayed on.
    But ... and here's the rest of the story -- a water line in my main barn burst and flooded the barn aisle, the ceiling of the shedrow/tackroom, and poured into poor X's stall. He was on an island at the center of his stall when I finally went down there around 7 am this morning, moored by 4" of water.
    I scurried around turning off every valve I could think of (the horses protested mightily that I didn't 'tend to them first.) And then raced to the house to turn off water main.
    Having had the worst-cold-ever for a week, I nearly fainted/threw up when I got the 100 yards up the hill and had to rest for a minute (seemed like an hour.) But I got the water off and called my neighbor who knows everything/everybody and he told me who to call and that guy was here before I'd plowed the driveway.
    I brushed most of the water out and dried everything as best as I could and, this afternoon, unless you knew, you might not know!
    I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg but that guy was fast, polite, sort-of cute and really helpful. He's returning tomorrow to complete the job (didn't have the right fixture) but he jerry-rigged it enough for tonight.
    It wasn't, turns out, the snow/etc last night, it was of course the frigid air the past week. It got warm enough to thaw/burst, I bet, with the added warmth of the horses in the barn and the chickens in the tack room (they wouldn't walk through the snowstorm and had gotten stranded in the barn around noon -- I just covered my saddles with towels and tossed them some horse feed. I assume they and the cats were as surprised as I was by the water cascading from the ceiling.
    Alas.

Default just an idear!

Ummm...check with Bull Run Hunt....they sometimes go longer than the 4/1 date most hunts around here stop at. They did last year. They hunt in different counties. They called them "trail rides" but often took hounds with them if you get my drift!!