The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

TDHorses Guest

Default Compact vs Regular Eventing Watch?

Does anyone have opinions on Optimum's traditional big yellow watch vs. their compact version? I did a search, but could not find a thread with a comparison of the two models.

The compact is certainly attractive for the ability to wear it all day relatively unobtrusively. The features and the price appear to be the same from what I can find online.

I wonder what I might be missing, and would love to hear others' opinions and experience: How much smaller is the readout? Is the start button harder to push? Are the features truly the same?

Thank you!

I've got lots of experience with the Compact. I own two (although one stopped beeping after changing the batteries...grrr!). I bought them because I absolutely HATE the yellow color on the big watch. They've always been wonderful for me, but I don't have any comparison. The screen and buttons ARE smaller, but since I use fingerless gloves on XC, pressing the button out of the start box is just fine. I also don't really look at the screen, I just know where my minute marks are and can tell by the beeping of my watch every minute how on or off we are.

Having said that, they have the same battery issue as the yellow one. Also, even though it's compact, it's still a bit too large for me to wear around all day. I have pretty small wrists though.

Through prelim, I find I am fine with just my regular watch (Timex Ironman). Buttons are easy to reach, numbers easy to see and that way, since I am already wearing it, I have one less piece of equipment to worry about (always good)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I am not a spring chicken any more and neither are my eyes.
    I like the big yellow one since I can actually SEE the numbers. Without having to look-look and focus hard on it. I can glance at it and the numbers are big enough that any fuzziness is not an issue.

Just one old person's opinion.

I have both -- the compact one stopped beeping when I changed the batteries, so it has been relegated to conditioning days (when I find it easy just to look and see rather than hear, but I am wearing it all day at the barn so the small size is comfy).
    Around the time it stopped beeping I literally discovered a yellow one buried in a pile of saddle pads in my trailer -- I was cleaning out the dressing room and there it was. I have never purchased one, so this one was obviously "left" by someone who hitched a ride...but since no one I ride with is missing one, and no one ever claimed it...

I started competing in it, and I do like it a bit better for actual competitions...although it is SO big it is possible for me to accidentally hit one of the buttons just by bending my hand...

so I would vote for compact, unless you need the extra size visually.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I'm just plain blind.

I need to use the big one so that I don't have to look too terribly long or get close the watch while riding.

My contacts help a lot, but they do occasionally get slightly out of place, so the 1 inch numbers are my fail safe.
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.