The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 7yo TB Mare in Bucks County, PA - Update 3/15

I've been putting this off but it must be done. Darling Dancer coming 7, 16 hands, chestnut with lots of white. Came off the track fall 2008, had bowed tendon the year before. Bowed again this fall. Looking at 4-6 months off from Nov 10. She is sound and has been sound except for about a week in August right after she was shod very badly. Had redone within 4 weeks by new farrier but too late. I had ultrasounded because NQR, showed tendon had no good fibers in one spot (SDF tendon RF) would need to ultrasound again in March to see if healed. Have digital record for comparison.
    I'm not going to give you my sob story because it's not about me, it's about finding the right place for Dancer. Just say I would keep her if I could.
    Dancer has shown eventing, dressage and jumpers. Unfortunately though her true talent lies in jumping that would be risky for her at best. So her is what she would be suitable for:
    Best - Dressage she is naturally light and forward, has a big over-tracking walk. and though for now she only does it when she wants, she has what my trainer calls her second level squatty trot. Nice ground covering canter. Since she came off the track so sensitive with her mouth, I rode her for the first year almost entirely with my legs and seat. Very responsive! Not a beginner horse though, she still needs a skilled contact and she is so forward she would scare a beginner. She does not do bad things like buck or rear.
    Trail horse - As I said not for beginners. If your idea of a trail is more like a hunter pace she's your girl. Still needs a lead into water, ditches but getting better. A fun ride! Galloping thru woods with turns she's amazing and will take care of you.
    Breeding - this is the only interest I have had for her so far. But they don't want her til April so that doesn't save me much on board and I would hope to be riding her again by then. She has a wonderful personality would be a great Mommy. Gets along with all other horses. Has a deep barrel could carry a big baby. If she went for breeding, I may ask for her back in a year. She is just too smart and has too good a work ethic to be a brood mare forever.
    On the ground - I have done a lot of ground work with her so she nice to work around. Follows me around and eats on the lawn just dragging a lead rope. Comes in when I call or before since she thinks I only exist to do her bidding. Sweet loving, intelligent horse.
    I have her listed on dreamhorse for $500 to keep the weirdos away. But she is really just looking for a good home. She is due for Vet stuff this month, I will have that done. Beyond that would I would consider lots of different deals. I love to work with the OTTB's so would trade working with yours if you can take care of Dancer. You can pm me or see her facebook page which comes up in my signature. There are lots pictures there.
    Last edited by Flying Hippotamus; Mar. 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

No one interested in this wonderful mare? I know she could be someone's dream horse. If you keep her locally I would be happy to bring her back for you when she's ready. Free lessons? Come and see her, she will win you over.

Board just went up again. I have to find a place for this mare. Can anyone recommend a rescue to send her to?

**bumping**

She sounds like a lovely girl. I wish I could take her but unfortunately I have no room.

Have you tried putting up ads at the local tack shops? I'm sure someone is looking for their next dressage partner/trail horse/broodmare!
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I see from your facebook eventing pictures.
    Can you see about posting her on ovcta.org, dvcta.org or frenchcreekdressage.org? I am not sure if you need to be a member of if you could just pay them a small fee.
    How about moving her to a cheaper facility to buy you some time?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Try:
    Posting a lease / with lessons on Craigslist.

Also,like Sonnysmom said. check craigslist for pasture board somewhere/ or post a wanted:

Check with local lesson barns on leasing her for lessons

Contact the local 4h, PC to see if they have any members who would like a free lease through the summer with a prearranged ..todays...price on her if they were to end up wanting to buy her.

Contact all the local hack stables /for example: (http://www.haycockstables.com/trail.html)

Contact your hunts: maybe a jr member needs a horse.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I'm sorry you are having troubles finding a home. It's a hard market, especially for a horse that can only do light work with an experienced rider.

Bump for this girl.

Not really suitable for a hack or lesson horse as she is still green herself. I thought about craiglist but that attracks some weirdos. For 4-h or pony club that would be a kid and though I am sure there are plenty of kids who could handle her, generally no.

I don't want to advertise her as an eventer because I don't know if she could hold up to regular jumping. Maybe, I'm not a bow tendon expert.

I thought about boarding her somewhere else but then that's another barn that I have to go to so I can take care of her. I have another horse at my barn now and I do 6 stalls a day plus turn-in & feed twice a week. There is only so much of me to go around.

Realize if the ultrasound says she ready to go in March she still needs a long slow return to work.
    thanks

maybe post in broodmare section on breeding forum?
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Default Update

It's been 4 months since ultrasound. I think her leg looks great and as before she is sound. Right now since spring is here I plan to bring her home. My barn is really crappy and soo muddy but it will dry soon. Just to see what I had behaviorally before I brought her home, I got on her the other day. She was totally blase, just - Oh are we working today? I only walked around twice and trotted in each direction but no problem. What a star, 4 month off and nothing. When I couldn't ride my other TB for a month, I paid someone to get on him.
    Anyway I am still looking to give her away at this point but I plan to reultrasound in April and start her back then. So at that point I would want the $200 for the ultrasound for her. Then if I still have her I will try to show her and sell her as a dressage horse.

I am still suggesting that you post her on ovcta, dvcta and frenchcreekdressage.
    All three of these organizations do CT but also have good sized dressage memberships.
    How about getting an Ecno Ad from Horse of DE Valley?
    Hanging a sign at Rick's Heritage?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

if she is flashy with lots of chrome, post a picture to showcase her color. A lot (well, probably less now) of color breeders love a good sized, well built chestnut with bling. PICTURES help, really!!

@ sonnysmom I'm in more of the ESDCTA & LVDA area and have sent emails to most of the trainers in these. Will try to expand to more. I think I have a better shot now that it's spring.

I did have some interest in her for breeding but I realized I just couldn't do that to her. She is just to nice of a girl. SHe deserves a person to love her because she will do anything they ask. If the ultrasound shows things didn't heal or something then I guess that's all she can do. I can't post pictures here but I do have that facebook page I have been sending everyone to.

Is this lady still available for adoption?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    @ sonnysmom I'm in more of the ESDCTA & LVDA area and have sent emails to most of the trainers in these. Will try to expand to more. I think I have a better shot now that it's spring.

I did have some interest in her for breeding but I realized I just couldn't do that to her. She is just to nice of a girl. SHe deserves a person to love her because she will do anything they ask. If the ultrasound shows things didn't heal or something then I guess that's all she can do. I can't post pictures here but I do have that facebook page I have been sending everyone to.
    In your original post, you say sh is 16h.

Barely or just over or ....

Have you actually sticked her or is that a guess?

Do you have a photo of her standing posed as you would in a strip class so we can see her shoulder, neck and legs?

CSSJR

Bump. What's the story on this little Darling?
    "Don't make me go all chestnut mare on you"!

Sorry - I haven't been on COTH in ages. I still have Dancer and still looking for a home for her. She's just been thrown out in a field for a few months now. She's bored silly and looking for something to do. I haven't had her ultrasounded yet but she is sound when I get on her. Looking for a dressage home because I just don't know about jumping - you would have to talk to a vet about that.
    I've sticked her and she is pretty even 16h. Now barefoot maybe not quite.

I should have done a picture after the winter when she looked good, now she looks like a horse that has been thrown out in a pasture for a few months. And not regularly groomed I might add. I will try to get one of those photos. BUt also she doesn't have her shoes with the degree pads anymore so her angles ar bad. Those would be a necessity unless you can somehow get her to grow heels.

Will post here again when I get a picture.