The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aerial View of Farm!

FInally got my CD back with the aerial photo of the farm layout! In the lower left corner is just a tiny slice of our big front pasture which is about 4 acres or so, but otherwise can see nearly all of the farm, i think its so cool you can see someone working a horse in the roundpen!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28037...81493090xsyBUI

Edited to add: I have added this to the main page of our website, you can see it better there:

www.shawneeacres.net

I just wish had been in the spring when fields were green! THis was in September at end of the HOTTEST summer on record here! VERY dry and nothing left in the fields!
    Last edited by shawneeAcres; Jan. 25, 2011 at 02:44 PM.

That is really cool! Love it.

I love aerial photos! And your place looks really nice, too.

If you have any interest, there is a website Vintage Aerial Photography, they wil go through their collection of old farm photos (60's -90's)with you online and if you can find yours, for a fee you can have a copy printed. We are in the process right now although I'm afraid we may have no luck because we don't have any good photos of the old house. We're having to guess by debris fields, the power lines and heritage trees - trees grow up and fall down so . . .

We have recent aerial photos of this place, because of the power lines it is available on Terraserver oblique images (there's a company that does nothing but fly over and photograph infrastructure for municipalities, and sells their images to Terraserver as well).

Terraserver is a bit spendy though, they watermark their viewer and to see the photos well means a subscription, then downloading is $40 to $100. You can print off the viewer, the photos are good enough, but not as nice as what you've got. And by the time I scan them back in to share, well they get
    pretty fuzzy, so the download might be worth it. We're trying to decide.

ETA That's downloading per image -
    may I ask how
    much did your pics run and how did you find a company to do it?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I love aerial photos! And your place looks really nice, too.

If you have any interest, there is a website Vintage Aerial Photography, they wil go through their collection of old farm photos (60's -90's)with you online and if you can find yours, for a fee you can have a copy printed. We are in the process right now although I'm afraid we may have no luck because we don't have any good photos of the old house. We're having to guess by debris fields, the power lines and heritage trees - trees grow up and fall down so . . .

We have recent aerial photos of this place, because of the power lines it is available on Terraserver oblique images (there's a company that does nothing but fly over and photograph infrastructure for municipalities, and sells their images to Terraserver as well).

Terraserver is a bit spendy though, they watermark their viewer and to see the photos well means a subscription, then downloading is $40 to $100. You can print off the viewer, the photos are good enough, but not as nice as what you've got. And by the time I scan them back in to share, well they get
    pretty fuzzy, so the download might be worth it. We're trying to decide.

ETA That's downloading per image -
    may I ask how
    much did your pics run and how did you find a company to do it?
    Thanks but there was nothing here 4 years ago but fields and two old tobacco barns!

The company apparently flew around here in September and they came to us to show us what they had taken. A large framed photo was $350 the CD disk was $50

The aerial views I have seen of our place show the giant Figure 8 in the arena! I wonder if people flying over realize how much WORK went into having such a nice round 8 out there?

We always have the horses inside on summer days, so there is nothing equine in any of the views. They do seem to take the pictures in late summer, so any dry spot or worn place horses roll, really shows up.

Shawnee: your barn pix have always impressed me (and inspired me!) in learning and planning....
    But this shot really shows how beautiful and functional your barn/land is. Wow.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

It looks like we got lucky and they did the shot right after I had drug the ring!! Also the footing had JUST been upgraded a few weeks before this shot with lots of new sand as the original sand was not enough and we had some low spots that we redid with a base layer of screenings with sand on top. Still not perfect but better than it was! Thanks Ayrabz for the compliments! When I laid this out it was for maximum efficiency. And I didn't even have to think about it! I walked on this land and knew EXACTLY how i was going to lay it out.

That is very, very nice to have.

Our aerial pictures are from the Farm Service Agency/Conservation Agency and are three years old.
    They tell us they are getting new ones any day now, can't hardly wait.

For those that can't find any commercial ones, you ought to try your local USDA office.

I figure is worth having to show people how the place looks and is laid out, I know that many times someone tries to describe a place and what you imagine vs. what it really is can be very different! Also, one day we will sell the place I am sure, as I am not getting any younger and the aerial shot will help then too! But not in the near future!

I just bought a framed aerial photo of our farm. Ironically the horses must have all been in the barn eating because there are no horses to be seen What are the chances?!

The guy wanted $250 for it but I talked him down to $100. Well worth it
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

A reminder to FINALLY call the guy who does these--he left a little proof on our porch last year with his number, and I've been meaning to order a print.
    Click here before you buy.

Default Very Cool ~ Thanks for sharing your lovely picture ~

Very Cool ~ thanks for sharing your lovely picture ~

Where is the new indoor going to be located?
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

If we can afford to do the indoor, I plan to put it where the paddock in the far let lower corner is, you can see a horse there!

Great shots!! Looks like you have a nice set up!!

That sand ring is HUGE!