The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lower level free styles & music software

I am hoping to compete this year at 1st and 2nd level freestlyes. I have been searching you tube for ideas and would appreciate any help from those who have done it themselves.

as for the music, does anyone create their own music using software on their computers? reccomendations? thank you

Good for you for making a go at it yourself! It's a lot of fun! I have done it myself with great success. The first freestyle I ever created or performed in my life was a 4th level freestyle - talk about biting off a big piece to chew on that one! Over the years, the freestyles I have created for myself have earned scores up to 75%.

There is a ton of softward out there! The software I use is Sony Forge Audio Studio for about 8 years. I sample walk, trot, and canter music, and then sometimes mix up the phrasing. I ride the freestyle mainly in my mind when I hear the music, and that is how I start creating the choreography.

If you have a Mac and Garageband, that's a great place to start in regards to learning about music-editing software. Garageband is pretty simple, straight-forward, and intuitive and while not the most advanced of programs, can certainly get you started off in the right direction. (And I know plenty of people who do great things with it, regardless of it's simplicity.)

Used a solid symphonic band piece, and designed/arranged the movements to the music.
    Rode @ Lendon's youth festival under Margret Freeman who scored it a 75.812 and said "I was blown away, this is what a Freestyle should be...a ridden interpretation of music...so many riders today are using boxed music, that is not how Freestyles started...I'm glad that you took the time, to use one piece of music that fit your horse so well"

So, even though having pieced music to fit each foot fall exactly is nice-it can be done the hard way too.

For PC Training-1st level Freestyles most Celtic music fits nicely.

Love freestlyes-just play around with what your horse does well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    Used a solid symphonic band piece, and designed/arranged the movements to the music.
    Rode @ Lendon's youth festival under Margret Freeman who scored it a 75.812 and said "I was blown away, this is what a Freestyle should be...a ridden interpretation of music...so many riders today are using boxed music, that is not how Freestyles started...I'm glad that you took the time, to use one piece of music that fit your horse so well"

So, even though having pieced music to fit each foot fall exactly is nice-it can be done the hard way too.

For PC Training-1st level Freestyles most Celtic music fits nicely.

Love freestlyes-just play around with what your horse does well.
    I had wondered about this. You *can* just take one piece of music and work with your horse on a freestyle to that piece?

Thats what I always do, have for years.
    Mostly because it's the easy way out- I'M NOT technically advanced.
    Had the wonderful comment from Margaret, but never had any derogatory comments, either on a score sheet or talking face-face.
    As a matter of fact, most if not all score sheets had positive comments about the music selected.
    TJ Martin is a company that sells CD's with music selected with a break for your halt, and the right rythm for what is required @ each level, and a correct time length.
    Bought on Ebay for $2.99 of coarse there are other companies as well, or any instrumental arrangement will work.

Thanks Ltc4h. It seems to me to be a lot easier to fit my horse to music than music to my horse - I mean to the extent of putting songs together and all that. That is a bit intimidating to me.

You may want to visit my free website www.equimusic.com
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

If you have proprietary software like GarageBand, that's great.

For the rest of us, there's Audacity. It's free and open-source, but it's so good that there are professional sound editors who choose to use it. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/.

Audacity has been around for years and you'll find lots of simple tutorials on how to use it. Not that it's rocket science to use. I have taught high school freshmen how to use it in about 30 minutes flat.

And there is tons of free music. Toooons:
    http://copyrightfriendly.wikispaces....usic+and+sound

If you know what BPM you're looking for at walk trot and canter, Audacity can easily adjust the speed/tempo on a track if it's already in the vicinity of the right tempo.

I use Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio and like it pretty well.

Is there any software that allows you to pull the lyrics out? I have an older model of garage band.....

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Is there any software that allows you to pull the lyrics out? I have an older model of garage band.....
    Google it. http://teachmetech.org/2010/05/12/ho...ng-garageband/

That's awesome! Thanks!