The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do I read craigslist????

Your 22 year old horse did all that for you and you can't do better by him than $500 on Craigslist...?

TB Gelding school master must go
    "Horse X" is a 1989 TB gelding; He is a former one star horse and area VII preliminary reserved champion. "Horse X" took me through the levels of Eventing and was my Young Rider mount."Horse X" has a great attitude and would love to be put back into light work even some jumping! Perfect for a secondary lesson horse, knows all the ropes! Or would be perfectly happy as a pasture pal! "Horse X" hauls, clips and baths, is registered with the Jockey Club, and recently updated on ALL vaccines and teeth float!
    Sold only to good permanent home! Asking 500$ OBO.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I can just hear her thinking, "But, what have you done for me lately?"

How sad but not a surprise. That horse should be vested/owed a good retirement and is being kicked to the kerb. Very sad and really makes me angry. Surprised she didn't list an aging dog and her parents too!

I only gave away one old horse...and that was to an old lady who always wanted a horse.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I wish I could board another. I would love something to tote my wanna be dumb non distance seeing ars around tadpole!
    I saw a NICE pony yesterday on CL. 14.2 22 years old did everything, kid safe $500 b/c they had to board it.

Selling him on craigslist and rehoming one to someone you know (like Trakehner, we also did that with hubbys old trail horse 23 year old horse teaching 63 year old lady to ride - gave her to my dressage instructors MIL) are two totally different things.
    Pamela Ellis

Poor old feller - what an ironic name.

"Horse X" was to hide the name... if you want the real name/location, let me know...

And I have no problem with rehoming an older horse to the perfect home, but selling for $500 on Craigslist is not likely to get you that
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

yup that was my point. I can see rehoming him to someone you know. Maybe another eventer who has a young child starting out? Or an older lady who has always wanted to try eventing? Or just someone who is a big chicken like me. Selling him for $500 on CL is just wrong.
    Pamela Ellis

Umm.... yes, when you look him up, his name is somewhat ironic, isn't it ?

(Yes, I do get that "HorseX" is Not His Real Name)

D'oh, sorry. It's early, and I haven't finished my coffee. Yes, the real name is ironic too

I can only imagine the owner has fallen on very hard times. Other than that this is pretty disgusting.

I saw that ad too and it's very sad. I rehomed a 23 year old appy who was definitely not ready or needing to retire to a mom and her daughter (teen) who were experienced riders/horse owners but wanted another horse who was good on trails. That mare lived a life of luxury and ruled the roost until they day they had her humanely put down.

We have an elderly horse (25) who is stove up with arthritis but has his good days with bucking and playing up a storm. Some people we know told my husband he should take him up to Stanwood (way point for slaughter bound horses) and sell him, at least he'd get $150 bucks out of him! After he has served so well for so many years that's a great way to reward him. What more can we squeeze out of him?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

The icing on the cake is" $500...OBO!!!

Poor guy Just saw the ad....the name is ironic I can't even imagine...hey this is the horse that taught me everything and took me to young riders...oh hey $500 obo!! I hate people who do stuff like this to their horses My trainer has a 21 year old horse who taught her everything...he has a permanent home at the farm! Ugh, why are there people like this out there...
    He has such a sweet face too

I actually purchased my horse off of Craigslist for next to nothing. He's an Appy cross, possibly foundation stock though, and the BEST horse I have ever ridden. He's solid 1st/2nd level dressage and the best jumper I know, including my friends' fancy schmancy horses, cause guess what? He gets his spots no questions asked, theirs need loads of help. XD

I do agree though, it is sad to see "Horse X" go that way :/

Well.. here is my take on it. This is not such a bad thing (asking $500) as I KNOW someone sort of in our area (she is in S. Virginia) who regularly scours the ads for free horses. She TELLS people waht a great home they are getting, they are for the grandkids etc and she is a HORSETRADER. She gets them and then resells them. I know because I bought one from her and found out later (when the prior owner contacted me) the REAL story!

it's hard to judge.

sometimes due to the economy you need to cut your losses. It's sad but these days you often have to PAY people to take a free horse. Especially an older one.

she may very well have had him up for sale on a site and received no bites.

She most likely doesn't know about COTH. : )

at least the add didn't say,
    come get this horse--I'm done with him.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

This is a amazing batch of hypocricy...

So she can't afford to keep the 22 yr old warrior but rather than just put him down, she tries to let him have a "good PERMANENT home."

Man.... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

This honestly breaks my heart.
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."

I'm in the market for a horse and I check the Craigslists in my area EVERY day, sometimes 2-3x a day to try and find something like this guy! I don't see any problem with putting it out there. She doesn't have to sell him and maybe she'll find a great home (like mine!) through Craigslist that maybe she wouldn't have found otherwise. If she checks references, does a home check etc it could really be a great way to find an old guy a great home! My princess pony was a giveaway on equine.com and I thank my lucky stars every day that I answered that ad!
    Grab mane and kick on!

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    where ?
    Washington Statel; Kitsap County to be specific.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert