The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage in Orange County, CA

I'm moving to the OC in a few months and am looking for leads for a competent trainer who is good with young horses. Any ideas?

North or South Orange County? South Orange County has several commerical stables with training facilites. North Orange County has few commerical stables and small areas that are horse oriented. The bulk or the dressage trainers are going to be at the lage commerical stables. North Orange County has few trainers. Some trainers clinic at private facilities, but horse property is hard to come by in Orange County. Finding a trainer to work with a young horse can be difficult.

True, it really depends where in the county you are looking. Although OC is not large, during rush hour you are looking at over an hour to get from the south to the north. Do you have any ideas of where you will be?
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

We will probably be somewhere around Costa Mesa or HB. I have looked at what I can find online and I know there has to be something better. Any opinion on Huntington Central Park?

At HCPEC, there is only one dressage trainer I know of who will ride young horses, and that is Andy Fleishaker. (sp?)

You can PM me for more info.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I know of folks who were on the waiting list for over a year to get a stall at HCPEC. If you are considering it, you may want to contact them now and check on availability.

I'll also send you a PM.

Actually, I am at HCPEC. It is a nice facility, with no waiting list. There are always box and pipe stalls available. As far as dressage trainers, Carol Robertson and her assistant Meghan are good, and there also is Andy, but I am not sure if he still works with the young ones. If you are looking to show than I would try Carol or her assistant.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

Default OC

How are Nellie Gail, Sycamore Trails and Rancho Sierra Vista?

I ride with Carol Robertsons group. They are excellent and do some of the young horse classes with their own horses.

If you are in HB or Costa Mesa the other barns you mentioned are over an hour away in the 5pm traffic or a 5$ toll road ride each way. Otherwise they are good options as well.

If you want to pursue the Pelham and it's place in Dressage, go with Andy.

If you go to HB, where there is not a waiting list, you would want to put the horse with Megan O'Brien or Carol Robertson. Edited to say I've been at HCPEC for 20 years and absolutely love it. With dressage there, Megan and Carol are the only way to go.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I stand corrected regarding the waiting list; my information is clearly out of date being about 5 years old.

Is that man the same one who told a poster here to ride dressage in a Pelham? I'm sure the name and area ring a bell.
    If not, my apologies, if so...well...'nuff said.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

I'm at Sycamore Trails and ride with Tom Betts... doesn't get much better than that !

Love, love, love him

Mufffie
    Mufffie

~Dressage, my discipline of choice~

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    If you want to pursue the Pelham and it's place in Dressage, go with Andy.
    Ahh...

Was it that he truly thought the pelham was a valid option for dressage, or was he just giving a client a set of brakes for an unsuited horse? I had thought he was doing the latter and the client was the one proclaiming pelhams for dressage? Or am I mistaken...
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    Ahh...

Was it that he truly thought the pelham was a valid option for dressage, or was he just giving a client a set of brakes for an unsuited horse? I had thought he was doing the latter and the client was the one proclaiming pelhams for dressage? Or am I mistaken...
    Not the only horse in his program that goes in a pelham. Seems to be more than a one off situation.

Thanks for all the info. The PMs have been.....educational.

Welcome to Orange County
    Tom Betts is your best bet with a young horse. He is a beautiful, patient rider and an excellent teacher. PM me is you need his contact info

Definitely welcome to Southern California!

I've never seen Tom Betts work with a young horse, but I've met him briefly. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Also at Sycamore Trails, though, I highly recommend Wilma Blakley. I know someone who started her young horse with Wilma, and the last time I saw him, he was going very well.

Best of luck!

I wouldn't recommend any of the trainers mentioned here for actually sitting on/training the horse. *Maybe* for taking an occasional lesson, but that's it. Are you willing to go out of the area a bit? Feel free to run some names by me via PM, if you wish.