The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite horse books?

For me my favorites were the Saddle Club, Thoroughbred, and the Galloping Detective. What were yours? I love remembering all the old books I used to read!

Smile

Black Gold and Snowman are favorites from my childhood.

I read Thoroughbred books religiously. I remember doing book reports in grade school and the teacher requesting that I read something else.

Monday Horses, Last Junior year, Show Gypsies, Riders

Somewhere there is at least one thread on this subject, with tons of suggestions. I have so many favorites, The Horsemasters, Cammie's Choice and the 2 sequels to it, and all of the other books by the same author (Jane McIlvaine McClary), Pamela and the Blue Mare, The Blue Mare in the Olympic Trials, and anything illustrated by Paul Brown, which includes so many titles including Nancy Caffrey's Show Pony, and Somebody's Pony. Also all of Marguerite Henry's books (Misty, Black Gold, Born to Trot, etc). And that's only the children's/young adult favorites. A Portion for Foxes is one of my favorite adult books.

Misty of Chincoteague!! And a couple of the other Marguerite Henry books that are related to the Chincoteague Island Pony Penning Day, but I can't remember the titles... I would have to dig up the books at home.

I was obsessed with this book, and then I found out that the whole pony penning is real when I was 11 years old. I went to my dad and told him all about the Pony Swim Day, and said "daddy, this place is REAL!! WE CAN GO THERE!!!" and he seriously took me the following July. LOL talking about a dream come true! We did go there with a truck and trailer with intentions of getting one of the ponies, but we just couldn't afford them.

Oh well, at least I was there!!
    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Quote Originally Posted by jevousaime View Post
    Misty of Chincoteague!! And a couple of the other Marguerite Henry books that are related to the Chincoteague Island Pony Penning Day, but I can't remember the titles... I would have to dig up the books at home.

I was obsessed with this book, and then I found out that the whole pony penning is real when I was 11 years old. I went to my dad and told him all about the Pony Swim Day, and said "daddy, this place is REAL!! WE CAN GO THERE!!!" and he seriously took me the following July. LOL talking about a dream come true! We did go there with a truck and trailer with intentions of getting one of the ponies, but we just couldn't afford them.

Oh well, at least I was there!!
    I knew someone who went to pony penning day and came back with a genuine Chincoteague pony, used her for leadline when their girls were small and kept her to the end of her long and happy life. This was in the 60s so I don't suppose the ponies were very expensive in those days.

My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead are awesome. Way better than the movie My Friend Flicka.

I was addicted to the "Jill" series (I didn't ride so I also didn't know any better ). Jill has 2 pony's; a Stable for Jill; Jill's riding vacation, etc etc. I just re-read one last weekend and laughed hysterically over the riding descriptions!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangsal85 View Post
    My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead are awesome. Way better than the movie My Friend Flicka.
    Did you read the third and final book, Green Grass of Wyoming? That was the best of all IMO. I believe it was also made into a movie, or maybe they combined it with Thunderhead in the movie.

And yes, I have several of the Jill and her ponies books too, what a coincidence, I was just looking through them this weekend and deciding what I wanted to read next.

Green Grass of Wyoming and The Monday Horses are 2 of my all time favorite books.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Quote Originally Posted by outside course View Post
    Monday Horses, Last Junior year, Show Gypsies, Riders
    Yes, yes, yes. My copy of the Monday Horses is much much loved. And without a doubt, I get so much guilty pleasure out of reading Jilly Cooper's novels. I loved Riders, but ever since starting to play Polo - that quickly became a favorite.

Others: Man O'War (by Walter Farley), King of the Wind, Afraid to Ride (by CW Anderson), and I enjoyed Canadian author Shelley Peterson's books - Dancer being my favorite.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

I cant believe I forgot about Misty!!!

All of the Dorothy Lyons books. I think I had at least one of them on constant checkout from the library throughout middle school.

A few years ago I set out to buy them all. that was an expensive undertaking. A few of the rarer ones were over $100. But now they won't be lost to the discard bins of time. AND I finally got to read the first, "Silver Birch" that none of the libraries in my county had when I was a kid.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Black Gold and Snowman are favorites from my childhood.
    Black Gold was my favorite. Hmm...I think I need to search for it next time I'm visiting the parents. I want to read it again!

I loved Summer Pony (changed the barn name of my large to Mokey like the book pony). Also A Horse of her Own by Chris St John

As an adult, I love, love, love the Rita Mae Brown foxhunting series, and of course, now I really want to try foxhunting! I am only on the second book of the series, "Hotspur", and I can tell that they probablly are all similar, but thats ok!

As a child I adored Saddle Club and Thoroughbred.

All of the above, plus Patsy Gray books, including Challenger. I have a huge collection of kids' horse books from the 50s and up to present day. Gotta mention The Forgotten Filly too. I was sure growing up that every kid who loved horses read every horse book, fiction and nonfiction, that they could get their hands on. I am no artist, but I even had the Walter Lantz drawing book of Horses, just because it had to do with horses, and I tried to draw horses every chance I could--um, no luck there. But anyway, I still can't believe that there are horsekids out there who don't read horse books avidly.

Misty of Chincoteague was my favorite book. But, I also liked White Stallion of Lipizza (own a Lipizzan now ), The Black Stallion, Snowman, Smokey the Cow Horse and Gallant Gray Trotter.

Default Favorite horse books

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrock25 View Post
    For me my favorites were the Saddle Club, Thoroughbred, and the Galloping Detective. What were yours? I love remembering all the old books I used to read!
    My favorite is ON THE BACK OF HORSE: Harnessing the Healing Power of the Human-Equine Bond,
    or NO SECRET SO CLOSE, both on Amazon Kindle