The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you determine the quality of alfalfa cubes?

My horse is currently eating shredded plain beet pulp and Triple Crown Lite. Am considering adding alfalfa cubes, but need to know how they are manufactured/processed. Which companies are the best?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Triple crown makes alfalfa cubes.. I've been using them for about a month now for a horse with ulcers and have been ok with them. The only thing I've found (and I don't know if this occurs with other manufacturers) but after soaking for about 45 minutes, I always seem to find a few small cubes that just don't soften.. I always have the need now to go though each soaked bucket by hand to make sure there aren't any if these guys lingering. I was just able to pick up some bales of alfalfa, so I'm going to try beet pulp for this guy instead of the cubes, since the alfalfa bales will still give him the good fiber value. He always turned his nose up at the alfalfa pellets.

I use TC alfalfa cubes too and I have the same problem you describe. Also in warm weather, when soaked, they seem to smell off quite quickly, like within a few hours. I have to soak them and then use them quickly. I have not used other brands.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyChickens View Post
    Triple crown makes alfalfa cubes.. I've been using them for about a month now for a horse with ulcers and have been ok with them. The only thing I've found (and I don't know if this occurs with other manufacturers) but after soaking for about 45 minutes, I always seem to find a few small cubes that just don't soften.. I always have the need now to go though each soaked bucket by hand to make sure there aren't any if these guys lingering. I was just able to pick up some bales of alfalfa, so I'm going to try beet pulp for this guy instead of the cubes, since the alfalfa bales will still give him the good fiber value. He always turned his nose up at the alfalfa pellets.
    Same problem. I go to the barn with a rubber glove so I can root through the soaked cubes to find the hard ones. I've seen my horse gag a bit and cough when he gets one of those so choke scares me.

My last bag of alfalfa cubes was a different brand than TC. It was much greener and fresher looking. This last time when I went to southern states, they gave me TC cubes. I must say their quality doesn't seem as good as the other brand. The cubes are more brown and don't smell as sweet and fresh. My horse is eating them but not as quickly. I will check which brand I had before - the empty bag is still in my garage, and I'll post later. I much preferred that brand. It just looked way better. BTW I had to root through that brand as well for unsoaked cubes. There are always a few.

A friend of mine found a wire embedded in one of her alfalfa cubes from Tractor Supply- so, please keep an eye out.

For this reason, I feed alfalfa pellets. They also tend to soak better than the cubes.

I use the one's at TSC as well and soak for 30-45min. I use a spoon to mix it up about half way through (or whenever I remember), add in suppliments and to shove the "hard" ones to the bottom for additional soaking.
    Before I take it out for the horses I reach in "fluff" it and pick the hard ones again.

The hard cubes are added to their tub (I feed off ground tubs) but off to the side and they will chew them up, so I guess I'm lucky.
    Katherine
    Proudly owned by 7 horses, 6 dogs, 3 cats and 1 Turkey
    www.piattfarms.com

I've had better luck with chop...but I understand it's difficult to get in some parts of the country.

I assume you are contemplating using the cubes for weight gain?

I use Standlee cubes and don't feed them wet. haven't had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyChickens View Post
    Same problem here with Triple Crown cubes. They don't soak as well as the Semican cubes I get from another local feed store. They don't smell as fresh, either. I've been feeding hay cubes for many years and Semican are my faves (not that I eat them ).
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

So glad someone mentioned "Standlee". That's the brand I felt was better quality & smelled fresher than the Triple Crown cubes. It was also much greener.

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    So glad someone mentioned "Standlee". That's the brand I felt was better quality & smelled fresher than the Triple Crown cubes. It was also much greener.
    They grow hay, cube it, bale it, pellet it and are in Idaho.

http://www.standleehay.com/

Talking

I started using alfalfa cubes for my old TB gelding who has no back teeth. This same horse choked on an alfalfa cube when he was much younger (someone gave him a whole one, dry, as a treat) so I was a little paranoid about feeding him alfalfa cubes, even soaked because they wouldn't soak completely. So, call me obsessive, but I take a seafood cracker and break each cube up a bit before I soak them. It's a little more work but I sleep at night. Anyway, I use Seminole alfalfa cubes because they are consistantly green and fresh smelling. My horse prefers them too, over the others that I have tried. He won't eat them if they are brown, or off smelling. I figure at 31 years old he's entitled
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

I really like the Standlee cubes as well. I soak them for about an hour. I too, go through to make sure there are no hard ones left. I also have to ad that I am soo glad I'm not the only one who digs around in there with their hands. My DH has been making fun of me and now you guys gave me proof I'm not the only "crazy" one!

Quote Originally Posted by everafterfarm View Post
    I really like the Standlee cubes as well. I soak them for about an hour. I too, go through to make sure there are no hard ones left. I also have to ad that I am soo glad I'm not the only one who digs around in there with their hands. My DH has been making fun of me and now you guys gave me proof I'm not the only "crazy" one!
    You are not alone! I've been digging around in hay cube "tea" since dearly-departed Alibar's teeth started deteriorating. You can hear a collective gasp from the spectators when I reach in there
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I feed alf cubes as well - I put a couple of handfuls of cubes in a bucket, with a handful of Triple Crown Complete, add hot water, and soak while I make the 1/2 drive to the barn. Pony loves it. I usually break up the really big cubes by hand before soaking, and hot water seems to make a big difference in how quickly and how well they soak. Btw, I feed them because it helps to have something in his belly for ulcers - vet and I talked this over and he approves.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."