The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default January 10 Coth Magazine?

Did anyone get one? Or is this the first of the electronic ones? If so, where do I find it?

Thanks

I got the January 24th in print today.

Hey guys, the online edition of the Chronicle will be coming out mid-month each month. You can check out the January edition here... http://www.chronofhorse.com/chronconnection

Hope you enjoy--we're looking forward to a lot of feedback from readers!

Thanks, Molly Sorge

Thanks Molly. So are you saying that is in place of the January 10th issue?

Sadly, the Chronicle is no longer a weekly magazine. They now publish 46 issues a year. The specific dates they skip are listed on masthead page, and January 10th is one of the days. There also will be no Chronicle for February 14. The days being skipped seem somewhat random, though I'm sure there was some thought behind it (December 26, for example, is one of the days).

I took a look through the monthly e-zine, Chronicle Connection. I haven't read anything in it yet, but the nutrition article is something that would interest me, and I'd maybe read the George Morris article. I'd rather have my 6 Chronicle issues back , but we'll see how the e-zine looks a few months down the road.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

For the 50+ years that I've been a subscriber, COTH comes EVERY week. It is supposed to be dated on Friday and arrive no later than Monday. That's just the way it is!!! An on-line version is NOT a suitable substitute. It might be a nice addition, but it is not a subsitute. (Where is the royally pissed emoticon when you need it?)

I do think the staff has made some lovely adjustments to the content, and I really enjoy the fabulous photography; however, I want to enjoy these things 52 times a year----not 46 times.

PS----I am still adjusting to not having the paper covers that one could wallpaper a room with.

It really wasn't very clear to me, either, when I read the editor's page in whatever issue announced the change where the e-issue fit into all of this. I renewed my subscription back in December and don't recall any mention of the change. I was kind of bummed when I saw the notice that said they were going to 46 issues, and offering this e-issue which wasn't really a fair sub in my mind. Even though it takes weeks sometimes for my paper issue to arrive here on the west coast, I really enjoy having the hard copy as I tend to read it in bed. What was really odd was that a few issues recently have arrived at my mailbox on the same date as the issue was dated -- like the Dec ## issue arrived on Dec ## -- very odd! I'll see how it goes -- I'm subscribed through 2013, so I'll have some time to judge whether I like it or not!

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that we're reading and taking your concerns to heart. COTH is steeped in tradition, and it is a delicate balance between keeping that tradition and evolving with the changing times.

We've always been a largely news and results based publication, but with the ability of the Internet to break news and results as they happen, we need to adapt.

Don't worry, the Chronicle you know and love will still provide in-depth print coverage, information, interviews and more. The digital magazine, the Chronicle Connection,is not intended to be a replacement to the print edition, but rather a companion or "sister" publication that will allow more interaction and let us connect with more readers in a different way.

As far as the decrease in issues goes, there are certain weeks of the year where there is less going on, not many shows happening, slow news, etc. Rather than publish just to publish, these extra weeks off will allow the editorial department to focus on providing even better content during the rest of the year. And don't worry, we promise we'll still be ringside at all the top events to bring you the coverage that you expect.

We've also often heard from other readers who complain that we publish too frequently; they can't keep up with a weekly publication, feel bad about the magazines stacking up, and could we publish monthly instead? We have heard both sides, and after careful consideration of all the different factors that go into publishing a magazine and making sure that we remain true to our purpose, we've decided that 46 issues is a good compromise.

If you have any questions, concerns, or just want to let us know how you feel, please feel free to shoot me an email: Laura@Chronofhorse.com. You can also email our circulation manager at Lauren@chronofhorse.com, or call the office at 540-687-4900.

Laura, thank you for checking in. This does make me feel that readers' concerns will not just be swept aside. I realize that COTH has an audience that spans several generations, and it must be kept profitable in order to remain viable. I also hope that in efforts to change with the times, COTH will not abandon those who have supported the magazine for several decades.

And by the way, did I miss the Amateur issue, or is that still to be published?

Default Amateur Issue

Our annual Amateur Issue went out on Dec. 10. It was late this year because of the WEG—it's normally a November issue.
    Managing Editor for the Chronicle of the Horse