The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stable Blankets in Custom colors

I'm looking for a medium weight stable blanket that I can order in custom colors. I am not looking for any other fancy options or custom fit. Is it a possibility to find this closer to the $200 range? Or are my only options the $300 Blue Ribbon/Triple Crown blankets?
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Or The Clothes Horse. There are two weights - the winter parka and a lighter weight one, which is fine for winters in the PNW. Don't know where you are located but that with a sheet or a liner works well in colder places for a stabled horse. It runs $295. Doesn't have to be custom fitted can just use a side measurement.

TCH stuff lasts forever, looks as good in 10 years as it does new. Sometimes spending a bit more is worth it.

Check out www.radoninc.com or http://www.corcelinc.com

Both have very nice products - I've been trying to find someone who has a Corcel blanket because their special fill sounds interesting and I was wondering how they liked it but haven't found anyone yet.
    Last edited by mand_asbfan; Jan. 24, 2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: incorrect link

Try Big D. I get all my custom stable blankets from them.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

The Clothes Horse is good but VERY pricey, IMO.

Dover offers quite a few color choices in their blankets, IIRC. Depending on the colors you are looking for, you may find they are more economical.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Integrity Linens is similar to Triple Crown in quality and price. Those are almost nose-and-nose with The Clothes Horse, IMO.

If you want to spend less, you might look into Jack's Manufacturing. They do nice custom work that's more mid-range in price. So you'll miss the array of possible colors and I think the heavy wool will be a tad lighter. But that's all you'll lose.

Good for you for getting a custom color blanket.

Remember "No Wire Hangars!" is my motto when it comes to horse clothing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default RADON ~

RADON
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thanks for the responses. I would really like to keep the costs down since I'd love for my boarders to also get these blankets.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post

Dover offers quite a few color choices in their blankets, IIRC. Depending on the colors you are looking for, you may find they are more economical.
    As Seal stated above..... THE CLOTHES HORSE products LAST & LAST and wear very well!!!!!
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

What are the colors? I bet COTHers could find you something "standard" in the right colors!

My colors are very traditional, Navy body with burgandy trim and gold piping. You would think I could find an "off the rack" medium weight stable blanket in these colors. I used to buy a belly wrap blanket from State Line that was very close but its been discontinued.

Not as pricey as Blue Ribbon. TCH stuff lasts forever. I own both.

Thumbs up

I agree with Seal Harbour, The Clothes Horse blankets are beautifully made, with attention to detail, and they LAST!
    Love them!

and echoing mvp, "no wire hangers!"
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    As Seal stated above..... THE CLOTHES HORSE products LAST & LAST and wear very well!!!!!
    No need to tell Lucassb about TCH's quality, she owns many of their products. But she is just reminding us that the OP doesn't want to spend a lot of money, which would most likely eliminate TCH, regardless of how long their stuff will last.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

BAC is correct... LOL. I do have a bunch of TCH stuff and it's lovely. But it cost the earth.

OP, if you are looking for a straightforward stable blanket in navy/burgundy, I would check out Schneiders. (They do belly wrap models as well.) http://www.sstack.com/horsewear_stab...-heavyweight-/

You could always have them monogrammed in gold to "customize" them to your barn colors and I think you'd be really pleased.

I don't have the specific blanket referenced above, but I have several of their "Tekno fleece" blankets and LOVE them - warm, well made, well fitting... and really inexpensive!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

The Clothes Horse is good but VERY pricey, IMO
    I have wanted a TCH stable blanket for as long as I can remember, but have just never wanted to spend that much money on it. I have a very long list worth of TCH products, so I am well aware of how lovely they are, I just have never taken this one leap. I fantasize of my barn one day being full of creatures wearing matching black/silver stable blankets embroidered with their names on the side...
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

http://buildyourownblanket.com/buildnow4.aspx

This is Triple Crown's new customization website. The stable blanket in your colors is about $215.00 with tax and a monogram or embroidery isn't too much more.

I just ordered a BigD Turnout from SmartPak & it has a navy body with burgundy trim and light khaki piping. I'm not sure if they offer a Stable Blanket, but it may be worth looking into...

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2ridewbs View Post
    My colors are very traditional, Navy body with burgandy trim and gold piping. You would think I could find an "off the rack" medium weight stable blanket in these colors. I used to buy a belly wrap blanket from State Line that was very close but its been discontinued.
    No wire hangers! No getting kinda, sorta close!

luvs2ridewbs-- you really helped your cause by choosing "regular colors." If you wanted terra cotta and turquoise, this would be different. Your combination sounds lovely and like one that will look good on any color horse.

Here's a link to Jack's Manufacturing: http://www.jacksmfg.com/index.asp

I also think BMB does custom stuff. They are in WesternWorld and I imagine that they are like Big-D but just a little fancier:
    http://www.bmbtack.com/

It looks like you need to download their catalogue.

I think both Jack's and BMB are sold through tack stores. That may or may not be a pain. On the upside, they should have color swatches that let you see all materials, trims and piping options. On the downside, you have to find a dealer. But on the upside again (or how I'd do it), I'd look at the manufacturer's catalogue myself, then call them at the Mother Ship and ask them to recommend a dealer that orders regularly and does a good job getting custom orders right.

Not all tack stores are created equal, especially when it comes to their knowledge of the options and order forms used by custom companies. I have made some PITA mistakes by trying to "hand hold" folks at a local tack store while I placed an order through them. If you seem to know more about the product line than the person who is helping you, it might be a sign that you should go elsewhere. Screwed up orders are no good for anyone.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm not sure where you're located, but you might check with an Amish harness maker. Many of them also make blankets that are durable, inexpensive and in whatever colors you want. If you have one you like, they will probably copy it for you, especially if you are ordering a bunch of them.