OK. I *swear* I have seen this before in a pedigree or two. The WEF bloodlines thread, with the NRPS horse reminded me of this situation. Sounds like sire name was just forgotten in that case, BUT . . . . .

So, with the KWPN, a horse can be registered Reg B (essentially COP, which KWPN no longer offers = this is in place of said COP), with an approved or erklund stallion, but the dam might be listed as UNKNOWN - because of extenuating circumstances (where the dam DNA unobtainable because of: death, a lull in the paper trail (someone didn't sign something), etc. So reg papers look like this:

Register B
Sire: PDQ Stallion
Dam: UNKNOWN

So, what happens with the reverse situation where for some reason the stallion's DNA was unobtainable? (5 million reasons why not obtainable - see above with dam DNA being unobtainable). Has anyone else also seen this:

Register B
Sire: UNKNOWN
Dam: QT Pie Mare

OR

Let's say the sires bloodlines are known, horse is deceased, so no DNA is obtainable. Couldn't the deceased stallion's DNA be tested back to his sire and dam line? Papers would read like this:

Register B
Sire: UNKNOWN by XYZ Stallion out of ABC dam line
Dam: QT Pie Mare

I swear I am not smokin anything today - I truely believe I have seen this on papers before, or something similar.

Anyone?