The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This HR - Weight Loss

I have lost almost 50 lbs since August. It makes a HUGE difference in my riding having less weight on me. I still am going to lose 30 lbs. I am going for the all time low weight. My old weight loss lowest is 10 lbs away. I want more.

The negative is non of my coats fit me anymore!

Also my center of gravity has changed on the horse. I have been riding mostly in my dressage saddle because I am relearning my center of gravity.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Congratulations! 50# is a huge loss, has to feel a lot different!
    Now you can go coat shopping.

Your body will relearn balance soon, your riding will continue to improve.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Congrats on the 50 lbs. !!! I have recently lost 25 lbs. and me and my trainer cannot believe the difference in my riding. It has been amazing and a great incentive to lose more!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

awesome job! I need to get cracking on losing some before summer if I want to show. It makes such a huge difference in my endurance not to have to cart around the extra pounds.

What have you been doing to lose the weight?

Congrats! My excuse for allowing myself to gain 30# was my hip. but the weight just makes it a vicious circle of pain so I've been watching what I eat and taking the dog for good long walks. Keep on with it and reap the rewards - it's amazing what good losing and gaining fitness will do even if you choose to trailride, and your horse will thank you too!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

So inspiring to read! I am only 8 lbs into my attempt to lose 35 lbs, so it's great to hear from people on the other side. So far my riding seems about the same, but I'm sure that will change...

I do Take Shape for Life which uses Medifast. The Medifast is 5 of their foods and one lean and green per day. I have many food allergies and this has addressed it. There is a transition phase which starts adding regular food into your diet, and than maintenance. My personal plan for maintenance is to join weight watchers again and use points to maintain. I always have had a major weight issue. I was up close to 300 lbs at one point before I rode horses again.

I do exercise 30-45 minutes a day. Once I hit my goal weight I will be able to exercise more because the calories are low.

I have dropped SO many bad habits: Daily chocolate, baked chips, 100 calories packs etc. I am almost never hungry.

I do get B12 shots because of a stomach disorder that I have.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I lost 25lbs last year and am now close to my weight in college. Losing the weight has made a HUGE difference in the way I look and feel on a horse. And now that I have bought myself a 14.1hh pony I have a huge incentive to keep the weight off or I will look even more ridiculous.

Congratulations! It's hard to get rid of the excess. I've been trying to drop a few pounds. It's hard. You have inspired me to keep trying!
    Thank you...

~Roberta
    www.findaridingbuddy.com

Congratulations. That's a wonderful accomplishment!

I lost about 12 lbs. since July and even that relatively small amount made me feel a LOT better and I believe helped my riding as well. I can imagine losing 50 lbs. would make for some drastic changes in your riding!

Keep up the good work

Thats awesome! I just started WW and lost a little over 5lbs in 2 weeks. I have about 45 more to go.

My stick-skinny trainer doesn't get it that I have wretched upper body balance...course, she's not tossing around these DD's either! I cannot WAIT to lose these BOOBS!!!!

Keep it up Appendix!!!
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Thats awesome! I just started WW and lost a little over 5lbs in 2 weeks. I have about 45 more to go.
    Congratulations. I lost all my weight through Weight Watchers. It's hard work but really works. GOOD LUCK!

Ok....I gotta ask for all these poeple that just posted about losing 20-50 pounds.
    HOW???
    All those diet aids and stuff are useless to me because I dont NEED to "curb my appetite".....Im NOT hungry.
    I eat dinner....thats about it. Ive heard you HAVE to eat breakfast, but, if I eat anything, even a yogurt or an apple....Im done, Im not the least bit hungry come dinner time and then about 10pm I'll want to "snack" which I KNOW is bad.

Ive tried different things in the past but, my problem is, if I dont SEE results I wont keep up with it. Im not saying I expect to drop 20 pounds in a week.....but, I need to see SOMETHING otherwise I think "WHY am I starving
    and doing all this if its NOT working??"

A friend of mine is always telling me what is a "healthy" snack and how you should eat salads dry or with only a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (gag!)
    But, I see her wolfing cheesefries! although, shes hyper and she chugs coffee like its water so maybe if I just start drinking lots of coffee??

Im on a bad "cycle" now.....I have NO self esteem...not that I had much to begin with.....and I got skinny people telling me "oh you are going to have to get someone else to show your horse for you because it will present a better image if someone who is fit is riding her"......so, now Im thinking Im a hideous troll who is hurting my horses by even thinking of riding them, and riding was my biggest exercise until I got hurt....and got fat. I'd be happy to just drop 20 pounds, get to 140 lb, I looked good at 135-140.....wasnt a skeleton and had nice curves.

Ok....done venting/self pitying/whatever.

I used to be super thin without trying and then I was in a bad car accident. I gained 70 lbs right away. Finally 5 years later my doctor put me on a low-carb diet. I have lost 25 lbs without much effort. I can eat as much as I want but I just have to watch the carbs. For me it was a pretty easy lifestyle change!! I feel great on the high protein and have tons of energy. I highly recommend it!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

WOW Congrats on losing that kind of weight WOOHOO

Congrats, that is a great accomplishment. I lost 50+ a while back and couldn't believe what a difference it made in my riding. I had NO idea how out of shape I was until I got skinny and back in great shape. I knew I needed to lose the weight, but though I was in ok shape despite it. Nope. I was totally blind to that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Promises View Post
    Ok....I gotta ask for all these poeple that just posted about losing 20-50 pounds.
    HOW???
    I lost 50 lbs in a year working with a personal trainer. When people ask how I usually say half-jokingly, "You know all that stuff they taught you in high school health class? Eat right and exercise? I paid a lot of money for someone to tell me all that stuff again." It's not a diet, it's a permanent lifestyle change, and there are no short cuts.

It's more than the 'create a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound' basic math, it's really an engineering problem to figure out what kind of fuel your body runs best on.

I used to skip breakfast too. Breakfast for me now is half a whole wheat bagel with a tablespoon of peanut butter, yogurt and cottage cheese. Right at 400 calories and over 25 grams of protein. If I don't get lots of protein in the morning, I'm hungry and will snack too much. YMMV -- do what works for you.

It made a huge change in my riding too. I could actually *do* what my instructor was telling me! Before it wasn't like I *wanted* to collapse forward, I simply didn't have the core strength to hold myself up.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Congratulations! I've lost 20 pounds since May and would like to lose another 30-35! I love feeling stronger and more fit
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Eastern Promises--this isn't necessarily the answer for you, but I can eat whatever I want provided I exercise. I make sure I burn about 250 extra calories on the eliptical 5-6 nights a week and I can feel I'm losing weight.

Also, yes, coffee can help, but it can also do a number on your stomach, not to mention it can make some people jittery. (Also, that only works if you're talking about regular coffee without a ton of sugar, milk and cream in it.)

It also might actually help to eat a bit more. You can't lose if you're not taking in calories because your body thinks it's starving when you take in very few calories.

And if the people telling you you're fat and ugly and shouldn't show your own horse, well--I weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of what you do (I don't do numbers as it's a bulimia trigger for me, but I'm probably within ten pounds of you) and unless you're built VERY differently from me, if your horse is not a small pony they're just being jerks. Heck, I may ride the pony at the barn when the weather clears and he needs a chat with a rider who's not impressed with his nonsense (of course, he's very stout--I wouldn't get on a small, fine-boned one!) I'll look absurd but I'm not heavy enough to hurt him. I doubt very much you look ugly on your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Promises View Post
    HOW???
    All those diet aids and stuff are useless to me because I dont NEED to "curb my appetite".....Im NOT hungry.
    I eat dinner....thats about it. Ive heard you HAVE to eat breakfast, but, if I eat anything, even a yogurt or an apple....Im done, Im not the least bit hungry come dinner time and then about 10pm I'll want to "snack" which I KNOW is bad.

Ive tried different things in the past but, my problem is, if I dont SEE results I wont keep up with it. Im not saying I expect to drop 20 pounds in a week.....but, I need to see SOMETHING otherwise I think "WHY am I starving
    and doing all this if its NOT working??"

A friend of mine is always telling me what is a "healthy" snack and how you should eat salads dry or with only a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (gag!)
    But, I see her wolfing cheesefries! although, shes hyper and she chugs coffee like its water so maybe if I just start drinking lots of coffee??

Im on a bad "cycle" now.....I have NO self esteem...not that I had much to begin with.....and I got skinny people telling me "oh you are going to have to get someone else to show your horse for you because it will present a better image if someone who is fit is riding her"......so, now Im thinking Im a hideous troll who is hurting my horses by even thinking of riding them, and riding was my biggest exercise until I got hurt....and got fat. I'd be happy to just drop 20 pounds, get to 140 lb, I looked good at 135-140.....wasnt a skeleton and had nice curves.

Ok....done venting/self pitying/whatever.
    When you do eat, what are you having? The quality and type of food also matters.

I'm actually pretty aware about nutrition and what I should be eating, as well as what my body responds best to, its just a matter of willpower for me. I love food too much! So finding a good balance is always a struggle.

I did Medifast. Lost 35 lbs, didn't stick to eating healthy afterwards. Have gained back about 20 of those lbs, unfortunately. But, through all my "diets" I've learned that my body really does respond best to high levels of lean protein, and pretty much zero refined carbs/sugars. Better skin, better weight, etc etc.

Try to shake it up a bit-try eating your big meal at lunch time. Then have small snacks the rest of the day like fruit, veggies, cheese, nuts, etc. The less processed the better. Even if your body isn't tell you "I"M STARVING!!" doesn't mean you don't need to fuel it. In fact, by restricting yourself to only one meal your body is pretty much protecting itself (i.e. hanging onto all the weight it can) because you are giving it so few calories. If you talk to anorexics, often times when they go into recovery they will drop some weight before gaining because they are back on a regular eating schedule and their body is no longer in starvation mode.

And big fat BOOOO on the people telling you you are too fat to ride your horse. How horrible of them.