The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heading to Lisbon....

Anyone have any current, working information on Escola Portuguesa d'Arte Equestre?

I've dug and dug looking and I can find a web site that doesn't work, notes a couple years old that the were moving from the palace at Queluz to the center of Lisbon, and not much else... and they are apparently vastly better riders than webmasters!!!

I'll be in Lisbon for a week on business and would like to do something actually productive while I'm there, like bring my wife home some nice schwag & see some very nice, very highly trained ponies I could think of no better way to deal with jet lag...

Thanks in advance,
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    I could think of no better way to deal with jet lag...

Thanks in advance,
    Personally, I'd go with the port over the ponies.

Last time we were in Portugal, we brought home a baby Port. It was something that was going to require ten years to mature to drinking. We gave it to friends of ours on their wedding day and told them to crack it open on their tenth anniversary.

NEXT time I go to Portugal, I am bring home a baby Port for my husband and I to hang onto for ten years. We drank everything we brought back tout de suite!

I concur on the port over the ponies sentiment! Or even pottery over the ponies - got to spend some time in the southern Algarve region a couple of years back and it was gorgeous - we were in St. Estavao (sp?) near the city of Tavira (sp?).

In addition to the beautiful geography and fun people, it was all about the port and the pottery.

FYI there was a great article this weekend by the WSJ's wine writer Lettie Teague on Portugese wines:

http://online.wsj.com/article/on_win...Tabs%3Darticle

Business trips being what they are, and throw in the jet lag, it can be difficult to tack on any personal trips, but enjoy your time and do let us know if you find any horsey activities in Lisbon.

Punz Guest

Default The Riding School

Was at Queluz as of 2009. We were there in early spring - before they started up the performance season. My friend and I toured the palace and then asked about the horses and ended up getting to view of the training rings and stables. My husband jokes that the highlight of our trip was getting to pet a horse.
    None were for sale however but check out the harness maker in downtown Lisbon in the Chiado. That is where they make the tack for the riding school.
    Awesome trip! We did get around quite a bit and enjoyed several castles/palaces per day.

Perfect timing on this thread for me -- I just booked a trip to Portugal and Spain in July. Thanks for the WSJ article on wines, and the info on the riding school! Both will come in handy!

Nice read on the Port... excellent idea there; also great for decompressing after air travel. Will have to add it to the after-the-ponies part

I went on a week long riding holiday in the Sintra area on dressage trained Luisitano stallions which was fabulous. We toured several castles, rode on the beach, rode through vineyards, past Olive trees, and gorgeous fields of sunflowers.

Lisbon was easy to walk around sightseeing. I had just had my long hair frosted (very blonde) and really stood out among the natives. I was near the fishing area and a couple guys were hanging out. One of them started talking to me as I walked by and even though I don't speak Portugese I got the gist of it and blushed. His buddy, laughed and said in English - "you dummy, she's American and didn't understand a word you said!"

I am not sure riding is in the cards for me while I'm there, although you did rather prick my ears up and make me consider packing a helmet, half chaps, and gloves just in case....

My family is portuguese so I can give you some first-hand experience, given I spent every summer there from the time I was 2, to the time I was 18!

The horses are magnificent at the Escola. I came back to the USA, feeling like we sure do make excuses for our poorly behaved beasts. You would never know many of those horses are stallions - they are immaculately behaved! Even if you don't ride, it is wonderful to be able to tour the facility (read: GORGEOUS!) and see the horses.

We have a bajillion portuguese Port Wines at our home. (in portugual they are called, "porto") So yes buy a port or two. (the older the better!)

Buy some pottery, and if you get the opportunity, watch it being made. It will soon become a lost art, as that generation dies off. We have a ton of cereal/soup bowls made of "barra" which is a kind of reddish clay. They are my favorite!

Explore and tour! The sights are gorgeous, the weather is usually mild unless your in the mountainous region. The people are friendly, and the food is delicious!

Any other questions, just ask!

Tesigned - your wonderful description has just fueled my desire to get back to Portugal ASAP. Maybe it was just due to the vast quantities of porto that I consumed on my last trip, but I do recall that the food was really really good, too.

Belg - first rule of international travel is to pack efficiently and sparingly ... so that you can always fit your helmet, gloves, and half chaps in your suitcase.

Safe travels!

Flashy - I haven't been to Portugal in about 4 years. I am dying to go back! Will probably try to make it out for a month this summer. (rule 1 - as a kind-of-native, its impossible to travel there for less then 3 weeks.)

Am going to try to ride at the Escola - Haven't done it since I was a kid! And yes, they do often put children on stallions. I lived to tell the tale, and I'm not particularly lucky, so the horses must've just been extremely well trained and behaved!