The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fulmer vs full check

What is the difference between these?

I'm sure there is one, as they wouldn't make both if they had the same action.

But for the life of me, I can't figure what that difference is.

Anyone?
    I am not allowed to look at breeding stock.
    Or babies. Or CANTER, et al.

ESPECIALLY not CANTER, et al.

Technically, one is made with a 'loose ring' and the other an 'eggbut' or 'D-bit' where the reins are attached.

Full cheek gives more support on each side of the horse's mouth/face and help with steering problem.

While having a loose ring, the fulmer doesn't have all the 'benefits' of a loose ring because the ring doesn't touch the horse's mouth corners.

I believe, and felt, that the main difference is the mobility of the fulmer vs the stability of the full cheek.

Never tried a fulmer with keepers but with the full cheek, it is even more stable.

Smile

The fulmer is a free ring snaffle, with the ring offset to allow for the full cheeks.

It should be used with keepers to keep the bit upright in the mouth, and to support the it. On some the branches of the full cheek have a different curve top from bottom branch, to allow for placememt of the keepers. Any I've seen have had fat mouthpieces.

Before the availability of the fatter french mouth bits, they were very popular starter bits.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

this is a fulmer:
    http://www.horsetackinternational.co...affle-bit.html

I have one with a french link mouth. Its been extremely handy on a mare I get to hack on the trails once in a while that isn't ridden hardly at all and can be a handful, dives and plunges when excited and steering is somewhat optional. The full cheeks help guide her better and the loose rings keep her from being able to take hold and plunge as much. Our ride is quieter and more enjoyable together in this bit.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.